British Speedway Forum
Guest Donsking

Crystal Palace

Guest Donsking
the old new cross track is now just a field between housing estates,all that i can find of the old stadium is a couple of grassed over wooden steps,although there is a stone memorial on the ground.

i am currently researching for a book on ron johnson,and would welcome the opportunity to meet with anyone and share information

You found a field in New Cross! :o:D

Sadly, the update from my family is that, lucid as she is for a lady in her 80s, my Aunt didn't really have anything particularly interesting to say, and the hoped for collection of programmes and suchlike in the loft, doesn't exist.

For a family of avid speedway goers, we were disappointly poor at keeping a record of it!

Ron Johnson, not to be confussed with Belle Vue's Kiwi Ron Johnston, had short spell at Ashfield after he left NeW Cross.

According to George McKenzie, who spent half of 1930 at Crystal Palace after Marine Gardens in Edinburgh closed, Johnson was so"home" to Australia. When he went to dump the 1930 version, it went into a corner where his motors from 1928 and 1929 were lying dumped.

I'm a bit late on this one .....but this may be of use.....According to my information Mockford and Smiths first venture as London Motor sports was to run Motorcycle Gymkhana events around the country. Path racing also became known as Minature TT racing.

There are photos of the path racing at C/P in the motorcycle press...one features Gus Kuhn and Roger Frogley

I believe open licence events were run between 1936-38

As for track location, can I suggest a trip to the appropriate library and take a look at the 'Ordinance Survey' maps of that period. If the maps were updated in the 1930s the track will most likely be shown.

Edited by Nigel

Guest Donsking
I'm a bit late on this one .....but this may be of use.....According to my information Mockford and Smiths first venture as London Motor sports was to run Motorcycle Gymkhana events around the country. Path racing also became known as Minature TT racing.

There are photos of the path racing at C/P in the motorcycle press...one features Gus Kuhn and Roger Frogley

I believe open licence events were run between 1936-38

As for track location, can I suggest a trip to the appropriate library and take a look at the 'Ordinance Survey' maps of that period. If the maps were updated in the 1930s the track will most likely be shown.

With the greatest respect Nigel, I think we've already got this one sussed :)

I thought this one had run its course, but I was to lazy to read all 9 pages to find out if anything else was required.:oops:

Hi all

I've been asked by my local historical society to find out what I can about Crystal Palace Glaziers, so my first stop is the collective brain cell of the BSF!

So, can anyone fill in any details about the team, like what periods they raced in, were they any good etc.?

Any info gratefully received

Cheers

Was this historical work ever completed? And if so where can it be read?

I live about 800 yards from the Penge entrance to Crystal Palace Park. I saw car and motorcycle racing on the big circuit there in the 1960s and 1970s.

So far as speedway is concerned - I don't remember it - but I have been told that I was taken to see the 1939 National League Division Two team in about May that year!

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Edited by speedyguy

the old new cross track is now just a field between housing estates,all that i can find of the old stadium is a couple of grassed over wooden steps,although there is a stone memorial on the ground.

i am currently researching for a book on ron johnson,and would welcome the opportunity to meet with anyone and share information

There's an article on Ron Johnson in the Files section of this yahoo site:

Was this historical work ever completed? And if so where can it be read?

Donsking is no longer a member here,so it might never be known unless you come across it by accident :unsure:

Donsking is no longer a member here,so it might never be known unless you come across it by accident :unsure:

That's sad news. He was one of the more interpretive posters on the BSF. Now we really are in a vaccum over the history of Crystal Palace - at least from his angle.

My book should be out next year!  :D

I look forward to this - as I so all your books! Re Crystal Palace 1939 - does the former Canadian all-in wrestler Eddie 'Flash' Barker get a mention? I saw him back on the wrestling circuit in 1947.

Edited by speedyguy

Oh dear, you probably won't be looking forward to this book then, as I am not really intending to say much about Crystal Palace in 1939. :unsure:

The idea of the book is to follow the CP/New Cross team's history.

Some of you will already know that I have begun a website for any venue that has closed down. I hope to air many photos that may not have been shown on the web before so if you have any pics of Crystal Palace (or anywhere else) please get in touch email jskinner06@btinternet.com

Edited by dantodan

Oh dear, you probably won't be looking forward to this book then, as I am not really intending to say much about Crystal Palace in 1939.  :unsure:

The idea of the book is to follow the CP/New Cross team's history.

Yes I will still look forward to the book. Just thought the 1939 team would get a mention as several of them - certainly Keith Harvey and Mick Mitchell - rode for New Cross in 1946.