British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gemma

Studio comments

Guest Sir Lunchalot

If the yahoo board is anything to go by Jan Staechman gets my vote. On there he is delightfully and refreshingly honest without being nasty and it's all done with a nice sense of humour and irony.

I particularly liked his comment a while back on the yahoo board about the double up rule when he said "I don't think it's a good rule at all but while it's there I'd be silly not to take advantage of it wouldn't I?" Tactfully put, offended no one, but certainly made his feelings clear.

More power to him.

My vote would go to Stekkers too for the reasons given above. I always find Chris Louis informative, clear and concise and altho I'm not the greatest of his fans, Kelvin Tatum does have some good meetings, he is one of the few to actually try to correct Millard.

At the risk of upsetting a few people my biggest dislike is Sam Ermolenko he tries so hard to sit on the fence and not actually venture an opinion it's painful to watch.

Who would people like to see doing the studio comments if they were available?

I'm surprised they haven't give Stekkers a few goes. I was impressed with him when he did the World Cup meeting.

My favourite Sky team for EL meetings is Jonathan Green & Sam Ermolenko in the studio and Nigel Pearson & Chris Louis in the commentary box. I think they should try and get Julia Bradbury to do the pit interviews when Sophie Blake isn't available.

I'm not a big fan of Kelvin Tatum when he's in the studio. He stumbles and says "um-er um-er" too much, but he's better when he's commentating. The only negative thing I would say about Kelvin when he's commentating is that he interupts too much. Whenever a rider is side-by-side or is just about to pass someone he shouts "OOOOHHHHH!!" as though as big crash has happened!

I reckon Keith Huewen is better at doing the Grand Prix shows than Jonathan Green. Jonathan seems more suited working outside doing the Elite League meetings.

What's happened to Peter Collins this year? Has he been given the boot by Sky? I don't want to sound harsh, but I haven't really missed him. In my opinion, he wasn't as good as Louis, Ermolenko or Tatum.

Well my opinion on the commentators:

Sam Ermolenko - great guy and great rider but he is far too biased when making his comments, especially in the GPs. He seems to have his favourite of Greg Hancock, which I understand he will do, but to be a good commentator, you need to be fairly objective. Other than that, he is very good on the C4 highlights, he does make it sound very exciting and he has some very funny little sayings! I haven't made too much of this things when he discussed Pedersen though.

Gary Havelock - I am not impressed with Gary as being a commentator. I think he has a weird image, I know that has nothing to do with reflecting your views on speedway, but to the non-speedway fans who may only ocassionally flick over to watch the racing, may think he looks a little odd! Please do not all slate me on this, just my opinion ok! I also think he sounds quite miserable when making his comments and I did notice his harsh comments on Pedersen. I just don't think he is as good as some of the others.

Chris Louis - I think he has got better with time. He's good at asking the riders questions, and has a lot of knowledge obviously. Doesn't usually add much controversy or anything but he is still good.

Shane Parker - I don't think Shane is ideal for making studio comments, he is exciting to watch racing and always got an opinion to share but I don't think he looked 100% comfortable on tv, once again, just my opinion.

Jan Staechamann - I think he was very good. Very interesting and very fair, he's a genuine good guy and I think he would be good at having a more regular slot on sky.

There has been others such as Loram, Richardson etc but I just thought I would share my views on a few.

My ideal team

Studio - Jonathan & Stekkers

Commentary - Ben Edwards (Does C4) & Chirs Louis

Pits - Sophie/Julia.

Then for GP's they should bring in the odd other guest with Heuwen at the helm. Prehaps bring in somebody like Graham Stuart in the GP Studio.

Jan Staechmann is to form part of the Sky Sports commentary team when Denmark stages the Speedway World Cup next week. He said: "I have worked with Sky Sports previously and it's great to be asked back".

Jan Staechmann is to form part of the Sky Sports commentary team when Denmark stages the Speedway World Cup next week. He said: "I have worked with Sky Sports previously and it's great to be asked back".

Great news Peter, do you know if it costs any extra to get than usual on sky & do you (or anyone else) know the times, dates & sky channel to tape (vcr) the upcoming SWC meets, as my grand inlores live in the UK & I would love for them to tape & send them over but in the past have had a bit of trouble with the settings, channel etc. Your help or anyones for that matter would be greatfuly appreciated.

Cheers....

Great news Peter, do you know if it costs any extra to get than usual on sky & do you (or anyone else) know the times, dates & sky channel to tape (vcr) the upcoming SWC meets, as my grand inlores live in the UK & I would love for them to tape & send them over but in the past have had a bit of trouble with the settings, channel etc. Your help or anyones for that matter would be greatfuly appreciated.

Cheers....

There are dozens of different Sky packages you can get, so it depends whether your in-laws have a package which includes Sky Sports 1 & 2. If they can get those channels, they won't need to pay extra. If they don't, they would need to pay a bit more.

According to the Sky Sports speedway website, the schedule is as follows :-

August 3rd Holsted - (Event One) Sky Sports 2 - 1:00pm

August 4th Outrup - (Event Two) Sky Sports 1 - 6:00pm

August 5th Holsted - (Event Three) Sky Sports 1 - 6:00pm

August 7th Outrup - (Race-Off) Sky Sports 1 - 6:00pm

August 9th Vojens - (Final) Sky Sports 1 - 6:00pm

(According to the Sky magazine, the final starts at 5:30pm, so I don't know which is right).

All times are British Summer Time.

I agree with Poona....excellent news!

Maybe Sky will realise what they are missing and give him more appearances as a pundit.

Thanks Peter, not sure what package they have, but they were able to get the GP's, I'll drop them a line & find out (fingers crossed).

Thanks again mate.