British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gemma

Studio comments

I would just like to say how appalled I am at some of the comments I heard from tonights commentators. I understand that probabaly the majority of you don't like Nicki Pedersen but the anti-Nicki comments that Sam Ermolenko, Gary Havelock and Keith Huewen made were absolutely ridiculous.

I know that Sam, as a rider is entitled to his opinion on Nicki, but surely when he's a commentator he shouldn't be so biased? Some of the comments made were jumping to conclusions in the most drastic of ways and Sam needs to learn when to have his rider's hat/helmet on and when to have his unbiased commentators hat on.

As a Nicki Pedersen supporter I find it absolutley ridiculous that I have to listen to these comments when all I want to do is watch my favourite rider in the GP.

I agreed with Sam and his comments about Nicki Pedersen. Sam as a rider knows what he is talking about and the fact that he said when Pedersen hit that rut he should have throttled off and not keep it going as the only outcome was going to be wiping someone out. Sadly he did wipe Gollob out and thankfully it wasn't a serious crash.

Also noticed how concerned Pedersen was (NOT) as to how Gollob was after the crash. He never even went to see how he was :x

I agreed with Sam and his comments about Nicki Pedersen. Sam as a rider knows what he is talking about and the fact that he said when Pedersen hit that rut he should have throttled off and not keep it going as the only outcome was going to be wiping someone out. Sadly he did wipe Gollob out and thankfully it wasn't a serious crash.

Also noticed how concerned Pedersen was (NOT) as to how Gollob was after the crash. He never even went to see how he was :x

I DID notice that Nicki just went back the pits after a quick glance at the prone Gollob - how damn sporting is that? :x

Sam DOES know what he's talking about - he was put out of the GP's in the GP challenge a couple of years ago by Pedersen's "Hard but fair" riding - fair my backside!!! :roll: :twisted: :P

Lupus,

What more can I say other than you're a Wolves supporter and most of the Wolves suppoters that I've seen/heard have the same 'anti-Nicki' hat on as Sam Ermolenko.

Midnight_Lady,

Are you telling me now that if Nicki had gone over to see Tomasz that he wouldn't have been pushed away?? Tomasz has a very fiery temper and whether or not Nicki took him out I don't think that Tomasz would really have wanted to see him.

And abusing officials, your mechanics and your machinery when things against you is not then

Sounds like most riders to me. Yes, some riders are not like that but some of them have quite fiery tempers and they all do it. They'll shout at a ref if they get excluded for something they don't think is right.

Do you honestly think that if his mechanics were that bothered about it, that they'd stay working for him?? Use your common sense please!

And when exactly has Nicki abused his machinery? He's kicked a bike stand, yes. But when has he abused his bikes for example??

tatum kisses the likes of rickardsson and gollobs ass.

Midnight_Lady,

Are you telling me now that if Nicki had gone over to see Tomasz that he wouldn't have been pushed away?? Tomasz has a very fiery temper and whether or not Nicki took him out I don't think that Tomasz would really have wanted to see him.

Gemma, Pedersen should have gone to see how the rider whom he wiped out was. Call it manners or concern either way Pedersen doesn't appear to have any of those attributes. There is no "whether or not he took him out" He did. If Gollob's "fiery" temper had been present he would have done something more than just have words with Pedersen back in the pits.

I admire loyalty but I think in this instance you should remove those rose tinted specs.

Dunno if your last post was supposed to sarcastic Philip but the point I was making is that Nikki has the style of racing he has and makes no apologies for it

That's the way Nikki races so the last thing you'll get from me is sympathy when he porks it large...... and he will pork it large sooner or later.

Exciting to watch though.

LT.

My post was actually agreeing with you.Don't know why you saw sarcasm in it,beats me.Are you not used to people agreeing with you ? I also found your comments about spastics disgusting [ maybe you ought to have one as a son eh ? ] Who gives a rubbish about John Lennon ? And i can't understand ANYONE who professes to have an interest in Speedway wanting to see anyone get hurt.I'll steer well clear of your posts in future,thank yow viry muuuuuch :?

thats why Nikki is currently number 2 in the GPs and Lee Richardson never will be

I was actually refering to Tony Rickardson. Guess I spelt his name wrong huh?

LT.

Who's being sarcastic now eh ?

Calm down old chap.

Me thinks you're taking things to heart a little too much.

Fair enough, I misunderstood your post regarding the sarcasm part but had just read another of your posts on a different topic where you disagreed with me so I'm sure you can see why I made that mistake.

As for the next comment about the spelling of Tony's name, that indeed was a serious post.

Very noble of you to get "disgusted" about the spastic comment. If you stopped to actually think about the choice of words there you'd know that 'spastic' is no longer a word used to describe a disabled person and the Spastic Society was renamed about 15 years ago FYI. I was poking fun at the word spastic more than anything else.

Just because someone is disabled does not mean you should ignore them entirely as that is rather Stalinist to say the least. Would you prefer if I had said "a burning dancer"? I would imagine that had I said that NOBODY would've batted an eyelid. I rest my case.

If you took the comment to mean that I somehow thought Nikki is disabled then that my friend is laughable and just proves the point that some people actually LIKE to be shocked!

I think if you get so easily offended about something like that then you perhaps need to have a word with your GP about getting prescribed some Beta Blockers.

Sad thing about these silly little slagging matches on internet bulletin boards is that 99% of people who argue with one another in a seemingly serious manner would probably get on like a house on fire should they actually meet over a beer in real life.

Think about it.

[ maybe you ought to have one as a son eh ? ]

How do you know that a close member of my family is not DISABLED? You do not know me. Engage brain before fingers next time please.

And i can't understand ANYONE who professes to have an interest in Speedway wanting to see anyone get hurt

Excuse me but I do not recall saying I hoped to see a rider get hurt. I resent that accusation. I simply pointed out that Nikki will end up having a serious accident with his riding style and as a result of the style he has you would certainly have great trouble proving he never asked for it! And yes indeed, my sympathy would be blighted by the knowledge that it was obvious to all concerned that his riding style was leading to an accident from day one.

That's the nature of his style, he'll take the rough with the smooth. Seems to me he knows the way his style is veiwed by riders and fans and is happy to take the risks. Fair play to him...... my main concern is that he doesn't take another rider with him that's all.

Touche?

LT.

Touche ? Or Douche !!! ;) I have my personal reasons for saying what i did about handicapped people,suffice to say i'm not going to argue with you on here about it. The only thing i will say is im sure parents with a handicapped child will take great comfort in the fact the Spastics Society was renamed years ago,when they hear the usual prejudices in everyday society. I fail to see your original analogy at all anyway. I wasn't the only person.'Nicki Pedersen rides like a burning spastic' , nope sorry,still don't get it.If i was wrong about an upcoming accident then i apologize to you.You could have put it differently though.'Nicki is going to pork it,and when he does he's going to pork it large,and he won't get any sympathy from me' On here in the last 2 years i've read various postings about this rider or that rider being ' dirty',some from my team, and things like 'He's going to get his comeuppance'.Sometimes i get the feeling people wish a rider to get hurt,just to prove them right.I can't understand that.Especially after the terrible injuries to some riders around the world this season and last.As i said if i got hold of the wrong end of the stick on this point then i apologize.

Lupus,

What more can I say other than you're a Wolves supporter and most of the Wolves suppoters that I've seen/heard have the same 'anti-Nicki' hat on as Sam Ermolenko.

Actually I used to be a big fan of Nicki's - even sticking up for him when many others were on his back after the incident with Wayne Carter in the pits at Coventry. Having spoke to Nicki on a number of occasions I have found him pleasant, intelligent and fairly easy-going. However, something seems to happen to him when he gets on his bike - and it's THIS that I don't like!!! I used to think it was the overexhuberance of youth, but as he's got more experienced, his 'get out of the way, I'm Nicki Pedersen' attitude seems to have grown. I think other people are right, he's going to pick on the wrong one some day and find himself flat on his back in the pits ala Stephan Andersson!!! :shock:

I still maintain that there is no excuse for NOT checking how an opponent is - that is just bad manners. If he's so worried about Gollob's temper - my advice would be - don't get tangled up with him in the first place!!! :roll: :P

As Midnight Lady pointed out there is a difference between loyalty to a rider (nothing to do with his good looks by any chance? :evil: ) and trying to defend the indefensible!!! :twisted: :!:

Lupus,

Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I fancy him. I regularly talk to him and regard him as a friend which is why I stand up for him against a sport mainly full of people who don't give him a chance.

Lupus,

Just because I'm a girl doesn't mean I fancy him. I regularly talk to him and regard him as a friend which is why I stand up for him against a sport mainly full of people who don't give him a chance.

Right, and if he wasn't good looking, would you STILL regularly talk to him and make a big deal about being his 'friend'?

I've been going to speedway for well over 35 years and WAS a 'speedway girlie' in my younger days - it just amuses me that young girls seem to consider riders their 'friends' when they're actually lucky if the rider even knows their name, let alone consider them as friends.

:roll: :P :twisted:

I'm not making a big deal out of it. You asked me a question and I answered. If he wasn't good looking yes I would still talk to him because I also take into account that he is a fantastic rider. Sorry if I don't fit your ideal package of a "speedway girlie". Rather stereotypical if you ask me!

Don't take it out on me. You don't know me so I don't think you have the right to comment on my personality or on who I do or don't talk to for whatever reason.

Oh, and one more thing. I've obviously, inadvertently, upset you in some way because you're picking at everything I've said. It's obviously a new talent I've picked up from somewhere! :P

Okay lets move on.....back to the original subject (sort of!)

Who would people like to see doing the studio comments if they were available?

One of the earliest speedway meetings I saw on the tv had Jan Staechman in the studio for comment. I found him really easy to listen to and informative and refreshingly honest (which might be why he isn't doing it now lol). I know many people might prefer a British rider or ex-rider doing it but my vote would go to Stekkers.

Anyone else?