British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
speedyguy

Harold Carder

I remember Harold Carder as the rider-promoter of Ringwood in its Southern Area League days in the mid-1950s.

He later became part of the managerial staff at Eastbourne after originally joining them as a rider when his club dropped out of the league.

Carder owned a garage in Bournemouth. I think that Gil Cox (also known as Gil Graham and Gil Grayham) worked for him.

Can anyone tell me if Carder also rode in second-half events at Southampton and Poole? When he rode for Ringwood and Eastbourne, Carder was probably in his early 40s.

In some quarters he has been named as Harold Carter - but I am positive that his correct surname is Carder.

Would this problem of people not being able to spell their own names be a common one in rural Hampshire?

Would this problem of people not being able to spell their own names be a common one in rural Hampshire?

It is an english thing Ian.Even the great W.Shakespeare is known to have spelt his name at least 6 different ways :P

It is an english thing Ian.Even the great W.Shakespeare is known to have spelt his name at least 6 different ways :P

I know. Some say it was spelt "Charles Lamb".

Harold Carder knew how to spell his surname. That's how it was painted n his bike's nameplate.

It's since then in various references that he's sometimes named as 'Carter.'

Now what do we know about his links to Poole and Southampton?