British Speedway Forum
speedyguy

Wal Morton, 1964

After ending his senior career with Hackney in the 1964 season, the then 52-year-old rode for both Ipswich and Weymouth in the Metropolitan League.

Does anyone have details of his scoring ratio for these teams? And when did he last appear in a speedway race?

Apparently, not in a second half race at Hackney!

In my youth I can remember Wal riding at Foxhall Heath. he looked from another era, short straight "bars" when everyone was riding the huge Cowby ones. he had very old fashioned equipment and personally looked very much a suave man of the pre war days.

He was in fact teh father-in-law of Ron Bagley i believe.

Quite a man considering his age to race at even that level.

His only 1964 Metropolitan League appearances that I know about:

For Ipswich 5+2 (4) v Rayleigh July 21

For Weymouth 3+1 (4) AT Rayleigh Aug 1

Many thanks. Just wanted a confirmation that Wal raced after ending his links with Hackney.

He was the first ever Glasgow captain in 1946!!!

Yes, it's nice to know he rode again after Hackney. I remember being at a meeting at Hackney in which he was due to ride. He didn't turn up and the announcer just said that he had failed to arrive, no reason was given. He never appeared again at Hackney. We thought he had got lost on his way to the track and spent the last 40 odd years still trying to find his way... :blink:

Wal was the Captain of Glasgow White City Tigers in 1946 but not the first ever captain of Glasgow due to there being Speedway in Glasgow way back before the War. Wal also rode regularly at Hackney for Norwich in the pre-war days. Wal said it was handy having short handlebars as he had short arms and deep pockets. He was wheelchair bound in his later days, still using short handles. When he passed away he was laid in an unmarked grave in a local churchyard but Mike Kemp, local supporters and the V S R A raised the funds for a stone to mark the spot.

Edited by star ghost