British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Provincial League 1960-64

Does anybody know if there is anywhere a list of all-time stats for riders in that league e.g. total points and CMA-I would be interested to know who had the all time hi- average for all PL League matches -my guess would be Ivan Mauger with Charlie Monk second but I don't know-any help out there-I think it would be a mammoth research job as I think the averages of those seasons that were published did not include bonus points nor did a CMA which considered the numbers of rides-also KO cup matches were often included.

Peter Morrish's book, British Speedway Leagues, 1946 - 1964, has the riders' total scores for each season but not averages nor bonus points. The Provincial League only ran for five seasons, 1960 - 1964, so it wouldn't be too difficult to find out who scored the most points. Finding out the averages though would be more difficult.

Incidentally just a quick look at who was the highest scorer each year shows:

1960 - Reg Reeves (Rayleigh) 190

1961 - Ivor Brown (Cradley Heath) 213

1962 - Ivor Brown (Cradley Heath) 260

1963 - Ivor Brown (Cradley Heath) 270

1964 - Charlie Monk (Glasgow) 256

My money would be on Ivor Brown being all time top scorer in the Provincial League!

Edited by norbold

Some of this information is in the 'Speedway Star Digest' published in 1961, 1962, 1963. I think though they only gave totals for each competition for the various riders. I am fairly certain there are no averages or bonus points included. No differential about the number of races riders competed in. At this period, speedway wasn't based on calculators!

Thanx guys-I have Peter Morrish's excellent book and Norbold think you might be right about Ivor Brown-also speedy guy have looked at some of the Star Digests-so I could figure out the total points scorers easily enough(from the Morrish book)-maybe I'll do that sometime-was the averages inc bonus points I was thinking of though. I think you are right though that might be impossible to do without looking at every match report. Thanx for the helpful info tho.