British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Danish Superliga Cancelled!

what will the riders do who rode in the danish leagues? Which other countries apart from sweden, uk and poland have major leagues?

I never thought the Danish league as one of the big one's. Attendances around 500-1000, no brits riding, mostly danes, poles, occasional swede... No matter how important for the danish youngsters, has it really been one of the big ones during this millenium (thats how long I've been REALLY following the sport).

I think the danish league has been the hardest league after UK, Sweden, and the top 2 leagues in Poland, so my guess is the 5th hardest league in the world.

Has mainly been the top danish riders and some danish under 20 riders plus a lot of poles from walasek, Zabik, Hlib to riders not even worth seeing!

other than that there have been a few swedes and germans plus Chris Harris did a few meetings there last year, and according to his mechanic, he had a contract with a club there for next year, and was hoping to do all meetings!

Must be tough on all the danish riders, if they cant ride in the 1. div, then they wont be able to ride in Denmark at all, and may risk to loose all or most of their sponsership.

Edit: 15-20 years ago all the top riders were riding in Denmark and i guess it was the strongest league after our Elite League :D

Edited by treborbee

Just heard on the news tonight that they are opening up the negotiations again and will try and find a solution. I always thought it was a little early to just call the whole thing off completely.

Especially Brovst would really suffer from the cancelation as they are the only Superliga team who doesn't already have a team in the 1st division.

I don't have as good insider intell as I used to and after reading several press releases and announcements from riders, managers etc. I'm still a bit confused as to who wants to do what and why it is so hard to find a compromise. Apparently the main issues are about how many teams should be in the league and if it should be 2 or 4 team meetings. This year the Superliga did 2 team meetings but that is the first time they have ever done that and the lower leagues still had 4 team meetings.

I just hope they come up with a solution somehow. If they don't there have been talks about the 4 teams who were in the Superliga this year, starting a new private league.

Oh,i hope this works out ok!My chances of seeing some decent team speedway was looking bleak.But first i have heard there is a chance of a little "breakeaway" team v team competition here in Germany,between 3 clubs that have pulled out of the Bundesliga and now this :D Fingers crossed

The Superliga is saved!

Superb news, any idea when the fixture list will be published?

The league is off. The official press release from DMU was issued friday. :angry::cry::angry:

For us, in the clubs who has run Supeliga meetings for many years its a very frustrating situation. Im in charge of club sponsorships in Slangerup. The last coupple of years we have made around GBP 30.000,- pr. year which has gone directly to rider payments. I have no clue how to confront our sponsors with regards to 2007, the risk is that we have to start over from nothing when/if we run top speedway again.

Furthermore this will ofcourse also affect the riders. Our established international riders will survive without problems, except for the fact that their Danish sponsors wont see them as much. But the young guns will lose a significant pecentage of their income and will find it even harder to collect sponsorships.

This could mean that riders like Nicolai Klindt, Leon Madsen etc. would be more tempted to move to UK.

Good news for Denmark if it has been saved.

Edited by Pollyanna