British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Danish Superliga Cancelled!

Latest news is that the Superliga for 2007 is cancelled.It seems the various clubs involved had differing opinions on how they wanted the league to be run.Some wanting to stay with the team v team format and others wanting to revert to the 4tt.No compromise could be found and so the DMU has called the league off for next season :(

Edited by iris123

Guest PanthersChamp06

Thats terrible news, whats all the Danish Fans going to do? Danish League IMO was going places and now this happens. Im gutted really.

I think this is final.There have been a lot of behind the scenes discussions.Probably lots of threats and tantrums.Seems no-one wants to give in.

One group want to have a number of home meetings as they have good crowds,while the other camp only want a couple of meetings.

I think this is final.There have been a lot of behind the scenes discussions.Probably lots of threats and tantrums.Seems no-one wants to give in.

One group want to have a number of home meetings as they have good crowds,while the other camp only want a couple of meetings.

Real shame this. How are young Danes going to get team experience when they have nowhere to go after 16 years old and the smaller engines. There must be a quick compromise even in an even shorter season. A program of challenges and individual meetings will only satisfy some of the teams. What happens to the DMU and the collective assets of all the clubs. Bad times.

:blink::blink:

Well i am sure this will not affect the 1.Division,Tsunami.So the youngsters will still have those meetings on a saturday,i think.Maybe like you say some challenges can be arranged.Holsted did have a meeting against a Polish junior side this season.Something along those lines,maybe.

Sad for the sport, it needs contunity.

Danish Speedway has for long been on the slope and has been that since the days of Erik G, Jan O, Tommy K and Hans N just to name a few.

4 team matches is not good, but then I speak with Sweden in mind were we often enjoys brilliant 2 team matches. 4 team matches do we race on 80cc and some Junior 500 meetings but not in Division 1, Allsvenskan nor Elitserien.

The tense, the athmosphere will never reach the same as in Elitserien, Allsvenskan or Division 1.

I dont have a solution, but I belive in contunity, a match between two teams must have a test period of 2 - 4 years to reach a conclusion.

/ Mikael

Latest news is that the Superliga for 2007 is cancelled.It seems the various clubs involved had differing opinions on how they wanted the league to be run.Some wanting to stay with the team v team format and others wanting to revert to the 4tt.No compromise could be found and so the DMU has called the league off for next season :(

Sounds like our Polish mess a bit. Fortunately arguable things are not so import to close the league (yet..?).

Yes Mateusz,speedway gets itself in a mess.Even in Germany there is a big mess.One league has been scrapped and now the arguments are going on about the remaining one.A few teams(those who want a number of foreign riders)have or are threatening to pull out.In 2005 i thought the Bundesliga was great.There was no limit on the foreign riders and although not top stars,it was great to see riders like Slabon,Jacek Rempala,Stuart Robson,Steffen Andersson,etc.Then last year they put a 2 rider limit per team on foreigners plus the reserve had to be a German U21.This was ok in theory,but there just isn't enough good German riders.Now they have limited it to just 1 foreign rider!The result is that some teams just are not interested.At the moment i think just 5,maybe 6.Most of the teams here in the North,Teterow,Stralsund,Wolfslake are not going to run in the league,i think :(

according to Polish portals it hasn't been decided whether the Danish league will be cancelled, I believe it won't.

I think the decision is final.Even now i have seen on Kenneth Hansens website sad news that because of this decision he won't be able to take part in Danish speedway leagues.He might lose sponsors as well.Maybe one of our Dansih members can confirm,but it looks like the Polish site has this wrong and there will be no Superliga.On the DMU site it states that the Saturday 1.Division will be the top league next season

The league is off. The official press release from DMU was issued friday. :angry::cry::angry:

For us, in the clubs who has run Supeliga meetings for many years its a very frustrating situation. Im in charge of club sponsorships in Slangerup. The last coupple of years we have made around GBP 30.000,- pr. year which has gone directly to rider payments. I have no clue how to confront our sponsors with regards to 2007, the risk is that we have to start over from nothing when/if we run top speedway again.

In rough numbers I calculate the costs for Danish speedway as follows :

Loss of entrance revenue, net, 12 matches as 2006 40.000

Loss of 60% of club sponsor revenue, 4 clubs 70.000

Loss of "league name" sponsors 15.000

Loss of riders sponsors, est. 50.000

Total £ 175.000

Furthermore this will ofcourse also affect the riders. Our established international riders will survive without problems, except for the fact that their Danish sponsors wont see them as much. But the young guns will lose a significant pecentage of their income and will find it even harder to collect sponsorships.

This could mean that riders like Nicolai Klindt, Leon Madsen etc. would be more tempted to move to UK.

See you

Peter

:D Yore faster than me Doug. I probably started typing 10 minutes before you ! Edited by Peter S.

what will the riders do who rode in the danish leagues? Which other countries apart from sweden, uk and poland have major leagues?

what will the riders do who rode in the danish leagues? Which other countries apart from sweden, uk and poland have major leagues?

Russia, Czech Rep and there is something in Germany.