British Speedway Forum

Would the outcome be any better if they moved the event from Telford to say maybe the NIA in Brum or Gmex in Man.

Much as I enjoyed it on Sunday, the thought of a massive, by comparison, track at the NIA with proper Ice machines, does sound appealing.

But if you had proper ice machines we'd not have proper riders there. The whole idea of Telford is speedway on ice and TBH, the racings not bad and it is good fun. Tho I do think in the last heat when the titles on the line, it's a bit much to say "it's only a bit of fun", by then, it's not really! Other than for Mario Jirout!

jawa/gm  Posted Today, 04:17 PM

any pics

England v Rest Of The World

Speedway Star Best Pairs

British Open Championship

SCB  Posted Today, 08:44 PM

But if you had proper ice machines we'd not have proper riders there.

Are you suggesting that the riders who ride Ice Bikes are not proper riders?

Does that mean that if people like Graham Halsall, Franz Zorn and Nikolai Krasnikov turned up to race you would dismiss them as "Not proper riders"?

It was not meant like that and you know it. They're not proper speedway riders, they're ice racers. It's a completly different disipline. How often do Halsall, Zorn and Kranikov slide there bike?

Do you really think the British public would turn out to see them?

A proper ice meeting in the UK bring it on i reckon,i think there would be a good chance of a very big crowd as people with no idea of the sport would be curious to see it.

Here's a taster or two for those that missed it or who've never been. It's a shame I didn't get any of the pairs event which provided far better racing than the team match. The 4-3-2 points formula made for some great action, apart from Aidan clearing off leaving his old pot and pan to fend for himself, shame on you, boy! :lol:

Edited by czechhero

It was not meant like that and you know it.  They're not proper speedway riders, they're ice racers.  It's a completly different disipline.  How often do Halsall, Zorn and Kranikov slide there bike?

Do you really think the British public would turn out to see them?

Dear SCB,

I think that most people who have never been to Telford expect to see "Ice Racing" but Telford is "Speedway on Ice."

If you used proper Ice Racing machines at Telford you would only have one race as they would rip the surface to bits.

This is why some people do not understand when you talk about "Proper Riders."

Best wishes,

Judy

I have been to Ice Racing before at Assen and I knew that Telford wouldn't be like that. It's all a bit of fun at Telford. I enjoyed my day, got to meet a forum members and saw some racing at the same time.

I wonder what Wizzer thought of the meeting?

Hear you and Kev heard a shock revelation at Telford as well Joanne is that right 1.gif

Hear you and Kev heard a shock revelation at Telford as well Joanne is that right 1.gif

Sure is :lol: At least Kev got it right, I passed it on and didn't :rolleyes:

What a joke.  I won't be going back, there seems little point.

In one heat, Phil was leading with Broadhurst cut accross the blue line (can't have a white line on ice) then wiped out Phil Morris and hit Tony Atkin (who stayed on, just). The referee called all 4 back, Broadhurst should have been excluded for being off the track but assuming he got away with that he wiped out another rider.

Then in the last race, who ever won the heat out of Les Collins and Broadhurst went into a run-off with Phil. On the end of the first laps Broadhurst hit the feence, wobbled and as Collins passed him he leaned on Collins and fell. First the referee excluded Collins, then announced all 4 back. In the re-run, Jirout made the gate, moved Collins and Broadhurst over and John Branney passed them both and was well ahead when Broadhurst fell on his own going into the bend. Result? All 4 back.

So I have driven to Telford, costing me a few quid in petrol, had to pay for lunch and spent £20-odd pound on tickets and what for? To see some bikes on ice, it was certainly not speedway as they didn't bother with rules.

I was not the only who was annoyed, a lot fo the netrals were upset as there was quite a bit of booing of Wayne Broadhurst during the presentation. The guy should have done the decent thing and after getting lucky with the referee 3 times, he should have pulled out of the heat. Before anyone clais it's only a bit of fun, why do we bother with a score and have a winner then?

Sorry but i was neutral too and must make the following points:

1) First incident of the night David Howe clipped Stefan Katt causing both to crash- now i'm no fan of Howe in any sense of the word but he couldn't avoid this as Katt locked up slightly so all 4 back was the correct decision.

2)Broadhurst did indeed clean out Morris but perhaps the ref felt a precedent had been set earlier??

3)Les Collins did, without a shadow of a doubt take Broadhurst's leg away as they entered the first turn on the second lap in heat 20, indeed Collins stopped and apologised before the red lights went on. Ref did exclude Les but both Graham Drury and Ian Thomas were signalling all 4 back to the box.

4) In the re-run Jirout hit a plant pot which caused Broadhurst to fall bringing Collins down too- referee announced that a third crash WOULD result in an exclusion.

At the end of the day its a day out to see speedway in the closed season, thousands of people have been to see it and thousands more will do in the future i go every year and will continue to do so, i heard no booing for Broadhurst and personally would have felt robbed if either Collins or Broadhurst had been excluded from heat 20.

It would have been interesting to see if Jirout would have let Broadhurst pass him in heat 20 anyway as he was punching the air and pointing to Broadhurst as they crossed the line in heat 20.

Anyway i'm claiming a Cradley 3rd place for Les(The Beard(well he was))Collins after his spell with us. :lol:

If David Howe had been 'robbed' by Wayne Broadhurst you'd have been a bit miffed no doubt?

i made no reference to the incident tho :blink: