British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

What Happened To The Lemon Drop Kid

PLJ was the name I think of a lemon drink in the sixties-many folks will remember that this was the nickname of Pete Jarman(his initials were PLJ) of Stoke and Wolverhampton in the PL days.I always thought that Pete was not the best of gaters but that made him a great guy to watch-I think he was born around 1935 which would make him in his early seventies. Hope he is still OK as he gave a lot of people a lot of pleasure. Anybody know where he is these days??

PLJ was the name I think of a lemon drink in the sixties-many folks will remember that this was the nickname of Pete Jarman(his initials were PLJ)  of Stoke and Wolverhampton in the PL days.I always thought that Pete was not the best of gaters but that made him a great guy to watch-I think he was born around 1935 which would make him in his early seventies. Hope he is still OK as he gave a lot of people a lot of pleasure. Anybody know where he is these days??

Good to see Pete Jarman's name. He used to live near to me in the late 1950s and in the early 1960s when he rode for Stoke. I had several invites to travel to Stoke from Brockley in south east London where we both lived, but the trip never materialised.

Also remember before that Pete and Colin Gooddy as cycle speedway riders in south east London in the very early 1950s. I rode against both of them a couple of times - but never ever finished in front of them.

Two great London characters who sadly seem to have been forgtotten.

Sadly, have no details of their whereabout these days.

Good to see Pete Jarman's name. He used to live near to me in the late 1950s and in the early 1960s when he rode for Stoke. I had several invites to travel to Stoke from Brockley in south east London where we both lived, but the trip never materialised.

Also remember before that Pete and Colin Gooddy as cycle speedway riders in south east London in the very early 1950s. I rode against both of them a couple of times - but never ever finished in front of them.

Thanx Speedyguy -just one comment- as far as I am concerned no way have guys like Pete and Colin been forgotten by those of us(which includes you for sure) with long memories. I well remember Colin Gooddy riding for Oxford and then Exeter in the first years of the British League. By the way don't know if anyone remembers the great Prov.League Riders Champs Final of 1964, won by Mauger from Charlie Monk(who I think in that year beat Ivan more times than any other rider-wish he'd got to a World Final-almost did and should have in 65) with Roy Trigg and Pete Kelly in run off for third-Roy got it. Anyway PLJ finished 5th behind them-good for him. That was a meeting to remember.

I rode for the Tolworth Tudors in Seventies and captained the Chessington Aces in the midweek league.

Best wishes,

Judy

Pete lives in Poole, he was watching the racing from the grandstand at a few meetings this season. He used to maintain the track at Poole for a few seasons under the old promotion, (Stewkesbury/Ansell), but packed that in and worked elsewhere in Poole in engineering I think. He has now retired and aprt from at the stadium I've seen him around the town a few times.

I had a long chat to him once when he recalled the times he rode for Wolves in the PL and particularly when he was thrown over the fence and landed on the tractor which was stationary behind the fence resulting in quite serious injuries. I remembered that incident too because I started watching speedway at Monmore Green and Pete was one of my favourite riders in the early 60's. Colin Pratt was, and I presume still is, one of his long time mates because Pete tends to be at Poole when the Bees are in town. They both rode in the Stoke team in 1960-63.

Both Colin and Peter rode in the old National League in the 70's, I remember them in 1977, I think Peter rode for the all conquering Eastbourne team, and Colin rode for Crayford and also doubled up with Poole.

As far as I know Peter retired in 77, but was going originally going to ride for Stoke, but it never came off. Colin Goody was in good form that he went full time with Poole, but in the 78 season I think that he broke his neck, which ended his career, both were well into the forties when they retired which was really unheard of then.

I am sure there is somebody out there who will tell me that I have got it wrong, or correct me on something that I have got wrong.

Guest Jim Blanchard

The last time I saw Colin was at the 2004 VSRA dinner. He gave me a card with his contact details on and I am sure he said was now living in the Poole - Southampton area. I have since moved myself and unable now to find his card.

I knew him very well as he normally took me back to my house in Deptford after the Monday night meetings at Wimbledon. He then lived at Wooton Road, Deptford.

He also had a lock up workshop at Zampa Road, New Cross for many years. This is where Colin would 'tune my pushbike' for me. :) I can only recall him riding for Oxford in the early 60's.

He looked well in 2004. I am sure I could contact him through the WSRA though.

The last time I saw Colin was at the 2004 VSRA dinner. He gave me a card with his contact details on and I am sure he said was now living in the Poole - Southampton area. I have since moved myself and unable now to find his card.

I knew him very well as he normally took me back to my house in Deptford after the Monday night meetings at Wimbledon. He then lived at Wooton Road, Deptford.

He also had a lock up workshop at Zampa Road, New Cross for many years. This is where Colin would 'tune my pushbike' for me.  :)  I can only recall him riding for Oxford in the early 60's.

He looked well in 2004.  I am sure I could contact him through the WSRA though.

I also remember Colin living in Deptford, He rode for Brafield in the SAL in 1954, then various other tracks. I also remember him taking his speedway bike to meetings on a motorcycle sidecar!

The only other rider who did this at the time was John Lalley, a second-half rider at California, Aldershot and Eastbourne in 1953-55.

Lalley was a protege of Ivor 'Aussie" Powell. I know it's nothing to do with Goody or Jarman, but the name Lalley just flowed suddenly. Odd?

I also remember Colin living in Deptford, He rode for Brafield in the  SAL in 1954, then various other tracks. I also remember him taking his speedway bike to meetings on a motorcycle sidecar!

The only other rider who did this at the time was John Lalley, a second-half rider at California, Aldershot and Eastbourne in 1953-55.

Lalley was a protege of Ivor 'Aussie" Powell. I know it's nothing to do with Goody or Jarman, but the name Lalley just flowed suddenly. Odd?

Did Colin Pratt really ride for Oxford in early 60's . I remember him at Stokeand think he had a few outinhgs at Swindon..

I went to Samuel Pepys School ,Warburton Road , Brockley in the late 60s . The Ripper , Ray Morton , also went there ( after me ) .

Followed Wimbledon then as New Cross had closed .

Edited by south coast robin

Did Colin Pratt really ride for Oxford in early 60's . I remember him at Stokeand think he had a few outinhgs at Swindon..

Colin Pratt didn't ride for Oxford but Colin Goody started at oxford in 2nd halves in about 1960 an dcame back as a part of the Championship winning side in 1965.