British Speedway Forum
MAN ON THE TERRACE

Help Wanted !

I am trying to find information about a "Cavalcade" meeting held at White City Manchester in June 1958. It is mentioned in the Tempus book " Speedway In Manchester 1927 - 1945 and "Homes of British Speedway" Does anyone have a copy of the programme they could scan to me or photocopy for me please.

Thanks

I am trying to find information about a "Cavalcade" meeting held at White City Manchester in June 1958. It is mentioned in the Tempus book " Speedway In Manchester 1927 - 1945 and "Homes of British Speedway" Does anyone have a copy of the programme they could scan to me or photocopy for me please.

Thanks

Guess this would have been a mix of 500cc midget cars (not the more powerrrful Skirrows), sidecars and speedway bikes.

Besides the programme request, does anyone have race details. Does it appear in the Speedway Star for this period. They used to love these meetings when they ran at Coventry, so must have covered this, I would think.

As no one appears to have a copy of this programme does anyone have any contact details for either Trevor James or Barry Stephenson, the authors of the "Speedway In Manchester 1927-1945" book.

Thanks

Thanks

I'm wondering if maybe there's been some confusion over the Daily Mirror-sponsored 'Cavalcade of Sport' meetings held in 1955-'58 (and again, I think, in '61) at the original White City (the one in the Shepherds Bush area of London)..?? :unsure:

It's these meetings which 'Homes' mentions; though I see that the Manchester book does make a (albeit very scant..) reference to a meeting in June '58 under the same generic title having been staged at Manchester's White City in '58...

I'm about to open a thread on the London White City 'Cavalcade' meetings; and maybe we can establish if indeed in May & June '58 there were two meetings of (near..-?) identical names staged at both English White City Stadiums of that era..?? :unsure:

I'm wondering if maybe there's been some confusion over the Daily Mirror-sponsored 'Cavalcade of Sport' meetings held in 1955-'58 (and again, I think, in '61) at the original White City (the one in the Shepherds Bush area of London)..?? :unsure:

It's these meetings which 'Homes' mentions; though I see that the Manchester book does make a (albeit very scant..) reference to a meeting in June '58 under the same generic title having been staged at Manchester's White City in '58...

I'm about to open a thread on the London White City 'Cavalcade' meetings; and maybe we can establish if indeed in May & June '58 there were two meetings of (near..-?) identical names staged at both English White City Stadiums of that era..?? :unsure:

I've been looking on the net today and located a "Cavalcade of Sport" meeting that was organised by the Daily Mirror and held at Manchester White City on 14/6/57. It featured speedway (Barry Briggs,Split WatermannAub Lawson & Peter Craven) also on the bill,football,cricket,polo & athletics. A copy of the programme sold on 7/1/07 on ebay. If you enter item no: 160068135957 you can see a copy of the cover.

I have now also found another meeting - "Cavalcade of Sport" meeting held at White City Manchester on14/5/58 again organised by the Daily Mirror, this featured speedway,athletics,polo,trotting,rugby & greyhounds.Item no:200041204068

In "Homes" it lists the combination of Speedway,Stock cars & Greyhounds. The only other meeting I know of that ran in that combination was a "Cavalcade of Speed" meeting at Harringay on 28/10/59.

It may be that the 14/5/58 meeting was the only one, I'll contact Barry to see if he can clear this up once and for all. :)