British Speedway Forum
KevH

Crewe

I realise that adding a reply to this, so long after the event (Dec 06) may be a waste of time, but having just found this thread...I can't help putting the record straight.

The Crewe Track record held by Cliff Anderson!!!!!!???? No way. He wasn't even riding in 1975 and if he was he might have once won a race in 70 secs. But the record was well under 70 secs by the the time Crewe shut (RIP) at the end of '75. Yes the track lenght was 436yds, but the record was set by Dave Morton on 12th August 1974 at 68secs!!!! At the time that was also in the Guinness Book of records, as the fastest on an existing track.

God knows what the Crewe record would have been today if it was still running...it was very, very fast.

One reason Anderson was so quick was that he had the use of OLE Olsens gear as he also spannered for him when not riding.

The Crewe Track record held by Cliff Anderson!!!!!!???? No way. He wasn't even riding in 1975 and if he was he might have once won a race in 70 secs.

Sorry, but time to put the record straight - again. Cliff Anderson WAS ridng in 1975, appearing in 24 matches for Crewe.

Steve

Many, many thanks for that Steve. :approve:

Grachan, the Barry Meeks track record (70.4) stood at the end of 1970, after which the track length was significantly reduced.

Yes, I know that the track record changed with the track, and I'm pretty sure Dave Morton held it at some point thereafter. Makes me wonder what the record might be if the track was open now for riders on modern machinery - probably about 60.4 seconds!

Yes, I know that the track record changed with the track, and I'm pretty sure Dave Morton held it at some point thereafter.  Makes me wonder what the record might be if the track was open now for riders on modern machinery - probably about 60.4 seconds!

I think your right there it was an incredible track but I wonder whether it would have been deemed too dangerous.They would have been doing 70 plus mph and only have those sleepers to save them ,frightens me to think about it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Sorry, but time to put the record straight - again.  Cliff Anderson WAS ridng in 1975, appearing in 24 matches for Crewe.

One last chance to put the record straight about this...this 'fast', 'track record' and 'Cliff Anderson' all used in the same sentence is really getting to me!!! I've checked my Crewe Scrapbooks and yes, Cliff was riding in 1975, he did make as mentioned 24 appearances...but for many of them he just 'turned up'. He won heat 1 of the first meeting of the year in a time of 70.0 secs...that was definately the fastest he went all year!!! John Jackson bettered that time in the Littlechild Trophy at 69.6secs. Cliff did spanner for Ole but that is as close a comparison that can be made: and he was in charge of track prep at Crewe in '75 (maybe that explains why it was 2seconds a race slower that 1974). He was dropped during May '75 and eventually asked for a transfer in July. He finished the year on an 'spectacular' average of 4.88!!! The Crewe Track record WAS Dave Morton's at 68 seconds. Much as I love talking about Crewe, can we draw I line under this now?

Just for my own information, does anyone know the track records for 1975 of other tracks still in existence today, say swindon, sheffield, 'cos I'd like to do a prediction of the what the Crewe record would be today?

Swindon's track record in 1975 was around 69.4 I think.

I remember Martin Ashby getting the track record at 69.6 in the first ever meeting I went to.

It's all a bit vague, but it was around that mark.

Just for my own information, does anyone know the track records for 1975 of other tracks still in existence today, say swindon, sheffield, 'cos I'd like to do a prediction of the what the Crewe record would be today?

I can't help with 1975, but the track record at those two tracks in 1976 was as follows:-

Swindon - 68.0 - Martin Ashby 10/7/1976

Sheffield - 65.4 - Ole Olsen 15/7/1976

and at the other tracks which are still operating today:-

Peterborough - 65.8 - Ian Clark 25/6/1976

Stoke - 67.0 - Les Collins 16/9/1976

Berwick - 73.2 - Mike Hiftle 18/9/1976

Kings Lynn - 65.6 Michael Lee 23/10/1976

Oxford 64.7 - Brian Leonard 16/9/1976

Ipswich 62.0 - John Louis 23/8/1975

Coventry 62.8 - Ole Olsen 10/7/1976

Reading 61.4 - Ole Olsen 19/7/1976

Wolverhampton 62.0 Ole Olsen 27/6/1975

Workington 70.8 Lou Sansom 21/5/1976

Eastbourne 59.8 Steve Weatherley 3/8/1975

I hope that's of some help to you?

I can't help with 1975, but the track record at those two tracks in 1976 was as follows:-

Thanks for that. It'll give me basis to calculate from. Swindon strikes me as a good comparison, as I think, it has remained pretty much unchanged. Stoke, for instance, has changed in position & lenght a couple of times at least.

..and Swindon & Crewe both had the same time, so that makes it easy, and Crewe's record would probably have kept pace and been 64.65sec, thats makes an average speed of 55.18mph on current machinery.

Interesting to see that Les Collins held the Stoke record in 1976, and shows how far he come in 12months...as he would almost certainly have stayed at Crewe for '76 had we kept going....as would Chris Turner!!

Swindon's track record in 1975 was around 69.4 I think.

I remember Martin Ashby getting the track record at 69.6 in the first ever meeting I went to.

It's all a bit vague, but it was around that mark.

Having been sad and looked it up. Bob Kilby set the record at 68.8 in 1975 v Cradley