British Speedway Forum
womble53

Fryers Testimonial Meeting (change Of Date)

Paul Fry's benefit meeting, which was held over from last year, will now take place at Somerset on Friday 23rd March (7:30pm) this year.

I haven't got any further details as yet, but I will keep you posted as & when they become available.

Personally I hope as many people as possible will attend to support Paul, who has provided some exciting racing for all the teams he has ridden for over the years. For me he has been one of the best "racers" around for years, and I hope for a few more years to come yet

*EDIT* Please note the date change for this event

Edited by womble53

Paul Fry's benefit meeting, which was held over from last year, will now take place at Somerset on Friday 30th March (7:30pm) this year.

I haven't got any further details as yet, but I will keep you posted as & when they become available.

Personally I hope as many people as possible will attend to support Paul, who has provided some exciting racing for all the teams he has ridden for over the years. For me he has been one of the best "racers" around for years, and I hope for a few more years to come yet

Quite agree Dave. Hope Paul gets a really good turnout, he deserves it. One of John's all time faves so we will be there.

Edited by KayJay

Definately will have to look at my diary for that meeting. Paul Fry deserves it as he has been good for the sport.

That date has been confirmed in the swede's diary, wonder if Nevsy will make the trip up to see the ex Falcon on his night

2  All Local Speedway Fans  turn up and support the FRYER & see some good speedway

Wonder if Fryer will invite another ex rebel GC? Could be interesting!

I have edited the first posting in this thread to draw your attention to the date change in the fixture list.........I hope this doesn't cause those wishing to attend any problems

PAUL FRY TESTIMONIAL MEETING PRESS RELEASE

SATURDAY 10TH FEBRUARY

PAUL GETS READY FOR HIS BIG ‘FRY-UP!’

With the new speedway season almost upon us, plans are now coming together for Paul Fry’s testimonial meeting which is being held on Friday 23rd March at Somerset’s Oak Tree Arena.

The date of the meeting is a change from that originally publicised of the 30th of March as Paul explains. “When the Elite League fixtures were released earlier this week it turned out that 8 Elite League clubs were riding the same night as my meeting, and this took out a number of riders who had originally said that they could ride at my testimonial.” “Luckily I was able to move my meeting forward by a week, swapping it with Somerset’s Premier Trophy match with Rye House that will now take place on March 30th.” “I am indebted to Len Silver at Rye House for agreeing to the change of dates, without his co-operation my testimonial would have been devoid of any top stars from the Elite League.” “Though this is my 20 year testimonial, it is the first one I’ve actually had; somehow my 10 year testimonial meeting passed me by!” “I would like people to know, however, is that this is not a farewell meeting, I still believe I have a lot to offer the sport and if any team are looking for a rider during the season, then I’m available!”

The format of the meeting will be a 16 ride, 20 heat, individual meeting, with the top two riders at the end of the 20 heats of racing going through to the final, the next four in the score chart being left to battle out the remaining two places by way of a semi-final race off.

As far as the riders who will be contesting the meeting are concerned, the first three names can be announced, these being Rye House’s Chris Neath, who was a team mate of ‘Fryer’s’ at Swindon, Somerset’s Ritchie Hawkins and Oak Tree Arena favourite, Glenn Cunningham.

Further names will be released over the forthcoming weeks leading up to the meeting as and when riders confirm their availability, but Paul is hoping to be able to confirm a number of Grand Prix stars, both past and present in the field.

Sponsorship details are now available for anyone who will like to sponsor any of the participating riders or heats of racing by contact Paul on 07980 275 965.

Official Press Release by Ian Belcher

Paul Fry Testimonial Meeting

07816 107 751.

PAUL FRY TESTIMONIAL MEETING PRESS RELEASE

SUNDAY 18TH FEBRUARY

THREE MORE NAMED FOR PAUL’S ‘FRY-UP!’

Paul Fry can now confirm three more riders for his testimonial meeting being held at Somerset’s Oak Tree Arena on Friday 23rd March.

The first of these being a rider who is returning to the saddle of two years away from the sport due to a serious arm injury, namely Stoke’s Paul Pickering. “I spent a season alongside Paul when I rode for the Potters.” Explained ‘Fryer’ “It is so good to see ‘Pickers’ riding again this year following his injury, and I hope he has a trouble free season as far as injuries are concerned.”

Another former team-mate of Fry’s is also a confirmed starter, and ironically it is another rider who has suffered more than his fair share of injuries over the past two seasons, Newport’s Craig Watson.

“Watto and I were team-mates when I rode for Newport when the club re-formed in 1997.” “One of my claim to fames is that I actually won the first ever heat staged at the Hayley Stadium, something I do remind Watto of every now and then!” “Like Paul [Pickering], it will be good to see Craig back on track again this year.”

The much-travelled Garry Stead, a rider that ‘Fryer’ has never actually ridden with during his career, completes the trio of confirmed riders. “Though I’ve never ridden in the same team as Garry, he and I have been good friends throughout our career’s and I’m really pleased that he is able to ride at my meeting.”

With six riders now confirmed, Paul hopes to announce the remaining riders over the forthcoming couple of weeks, these including a number of Grand Prix and Elite League riders.

As a precursor to the actual meeting, Paul has secured the services of Over The Top Motorcycle Stunt Team, headed by the famous Weston Beach Race Gorilla and including ex-Swindon speedway star, Barry Duke. “These guys are just awesome in the tricks they can perform, I should know, I’ve done most of them myself, the difference being these guys do them deliberately, whereas mine were completely unintentional!”

“In order to ensure that the meeting gets completed ahead of the 10pm curfew at the Oak Tree Arena the stunt display team will commence at 6.45pm, so any fans who wish to watch them will need to get to the track in good time.”

Further information on the stunt team can be found on their website www.ottstuntteam.co.uk.

Official Press Release by Ian Belcher

Paul Fry Testimonial Meeting

07816 107 751

Might get a few Newport supporters over there now with Wato riding, could be one of our only chances to see him this season!