British Speedway Forum
TwoMinuteWarning

Who Was Barry Lindsay?

On May 30, 1960, Liverpool tracked a rider called "Barry Lindsay" in a Provincial League Cup match against Cradley Heath.

It was his one and only appearance for the Liverpool Pirates, he scored 11 points, and it was later revealed that he was an Official of a National League club, riding under an assumed name.

Does anyone know who he was??? :blink:

On May 30, 1960, Liverpool tracked a rider called "Barry Lindsay" in a Provincial League Cup match against Cradley Heath.

It was his one and only appearance for the Liverpool Pirates, he scored 11 points, and it was later revealed that he was an Official of a National League club, riding under an assumed name.

Does anyone know who he was???  :blink:

There was a Bob Lindsay in the early 1950s who rode for one of the Scottish tracks.

The match you refer to was a Provincial Cup first round match at Liverpool on May 30 1960 which Cradley won 49-47.

The scorers, according to the 1961 Speedway Star Digest, were:

Liverpool: Wal Morton 19, B Lindsay 9, G Beattie 6, B McArthur 4, S Schirmer 4, C Smith 3, N Murray 0.

Cradley: E Eadon 16, R Spencer 10, G Bewley 8, V White 8, G Whitehouse 3, T Eadon 3, B McGregor 1.

in the same publication, Lindsay is listed as having raced in a Provincial League match scoring, as mentioned, 11 points.

There is also a Liverpool team photo in the Digest - sadly no Mr Lindsay in it!

Thanks speedyguy, but Lindsay's score was definitely 11 (add up those Liverpool scorers - dosen't equal 47!). The Digest scorers list INCLUDES Cup matches (each team rode 18 league matches - some riders in the Digest scorers are shown riding 20 or more matches)

Speedway Star 18.6.60 said the Control Board was likely to give the rider a gentle telling off and ask him not to do it again!

Thanks speedyguy, but Lindsay's score was definitely 11 (add up those Liverpool scorers - dosen't equal 47!). The Digest scorers list INCLUDES Cup matches (each team rode 18 league matches - some riders in the Digest scorers are shown riding 20 or more matches)

Speedway Star 18.6.60 said the Control Board was likely to give the rider a gentle telling off and ask him not to do it again!

Yes. There are two points adrift, so it should have been 11 for Lindsay.

Didn't Wal Morton do well in this match - he must have been in nearly every heat!

I think "Barry Lindsay" was Ken Sharples, who had loads of experience at the highest level and was still (I think) riding for Belle Vue in the National League.

I think "Barry Lindsay" was Ken Sharples, who had loads of experience at the highest level and was still (I think) riding for Belle Vue in the National League.

That looks a strong possibility.

Yes, I think you are right, 2nd Bender.

Lindsay was a "first division official" according to Speedway Star. Sharples did not ride for Belle Vue that year - he was their team manager - though I'm sure he did make a comeback a few years later.

Thanks to you both for your help.

Yes, I think you are right, 2nd Bender.

Lindsay was a "first division official" according to Speedway Star. Sharples did not ride for Belle Vue that year - he was their team manager - though I'm sure he did make a comeback a few years later.

Thanks to you both for your help.

Yes, he joined Sunderland when they opened up and then joined the Diamonds with Peter Kelly as his regular partner. I think he joined us in the year we won the PL before amalgamation(1964) or the year before. Was a tidy steady rider and was followed into the sport by his son Paul Sharples. :)

:blink::blink:

Yes, he joined Sunderland when they opened up and then joined the Diamonds with Peter Kelly as his regular partner. I think he joined us in the year we won the PL before amalgamation(1964) or the year before. Was a tidy steady rider and was followed into the sport by his son Paul Sharples. :)

:blink:  :blink:

I remember this-it was Ken Sharples. Ken did join the Diamonds in 1964 and was more than steady in my view Tsunami. Right after Mauger at Newcastle that year,there were three riders with averages of about 7-Kelly, Bill Andrews and Ken Sharples. All four got to the PL Final that year. Newcastle had a great team and won PL championship. Ken rode for Newcastle in 65 in the BL(I think he retired after a track crash at Wimbledon) and more than held his own-a great veteran. Then he became manager of Newport in 1966- he was killed in a road accident in I think 1967 while still Newport team manager. Strange coincidence is that the next Newport team manager-Eddie Glennon-formerly Newcastle Team Manager and team manager for them in 64 was also killed in a road accident in 1968. Weird eh.

Ken Sharples had a practice ride after one of the very early meetings at Monmore Green in 1964 and those of us who stayed behind were very impressed and hoped that he was set to join the Wolves team which was looking very under strength, particularly as several riders were reluctant to ride in what was, in 1964, effectively an illegal league.

Within the next few days he signed for Sunderland which was of course under the same Bill Bridgett/Mike Parker banner as Wolves. When Sunderland quickly failed Ken moved on to Newcastle and Wolves gained Gordon Guasco, Jim Airey and Colin McKee. Paul Sharples second halfed at Monmore and made a few appearances but I think retired when his dad was killed in the car crash.

Ken Sharples had a practice ride after one of the very early meetings at Monmore Green in 1964 and those of us who stayed behind were very impressed and hoped that he was set to join the Wolves team which was looking very under strength, particularly as several riders were reluctant to ride in what was, in 1964, effectively an illegal league.

Within the next few days he signed for Sunderland which was of course under the same Bill Bridgett/Mike Parker banner as Wolves. When Sunderland quickly failed Ken moved on to Newcastle and Wolves gained Gordon Guasco, Jim Airey and Colin McKee. Paul Sharples second halfed at Monmore and made a few appearances but I think retired when his dad was killed in the car crash.

Paul rode for Nelson Admirals in 68, 69 and poss 70.