British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kent Boy

Canterbury 1978

Did Old Muvva ride for Canterbury in 78? I thought he was still with the Rockets then? :unsure:

BTW Shazz, is he really your Unc?

I remember Ted well, as a 13 year old, standing by the fourth bend at Rye watching Ted hammer up inside an opposing rider (fairly of course! :P ) sending them either sprawling thru the fence or the brave ones tried to battle on...Only to be excluded by Lew Stripp, then smash the trackside 'phone to peices....Oh those were the days :D

Send him my regards will ya :approve:

Did Old Muvva ride for Canterbury in 78? I thought he was still with the Rockets then?

I remember Ted well, as a 13 year old, standing by the fourth bend at Rye watching Ted hammer up inside an opposing rider (fairly of course! :P ) sending them either sprawling thru the fence or the brave ones tried to battle on...Only to be excluded by Lew Stripp, then smash the trackside 'phone to peices....Oh those were the days

Send him my regards will ya

You are right, Uncle Ted was indeed with the Rockets (and Awks) in 1978, and yes he really is Shazz's Unc.

I think you may come to regret the Old Muvva comment though. :wink:

Over to you Shazzyniece. :lol:

Did Old Muvva ride for Canterbury in 78? I thought he was still with the Rockets then? 

I remember Ted well, as a 13 year old, standing by the fourth bend at Rye watching Ted hammer up inside an opposing rider (fairly of course! ) sending them either sprawling thru the fence or the brave ones tried to battle on...Only to be excluded by Lew Stripp, then smash the trackside 'phone to peices....Oh those were the days  :D

Send him my regards will ya  :approve:

Those were the days!!! I remember "Buzby" being well and truly knocked off his phone perch that day,also when he was told by the ref he was excluded from a re-run and to take a look at the light because his light was showing him excluded he did no more climbed the light stand took the bulb out and smashed it ........ whatever happened to those days when riders got the 'ump and made the crowd cheer with their antics.

Yes as Kev says he's really my Uncle and know one is more proud than this lil' ol' niece! Like I've said loads of times in the past (yawn yawn to some) he may never have been World Champion material but he'll always be my hero :approve:

As for the old "Muvva" comment ..... watch it! :angry::wink:

The days of the chararacters are long gone in our sadly dying sport. Even the local derbies are now filled with foreigners. Canterbury v Eastbourne, Rye House v Mioldenhall, Newcastle v Middlesbrough and Canterbury v Crayford were some of the biggest on the National League calender. As were four matches in four days without posh transport.

Poynters Coaches taking us to Wimbledon for the NLRC, oh those Scottish Tours how excellent were they we'd lose 4 days!

Our yearly trip up to Mildenhall only to get there and it be rained off luckily enough the girls in the burger bar were there ready to feed us and to fill my ice cream tub up with onion rings!

The 4TT and 3TT always provided good entertainment and the Championship of GB was held at Canterbury, I remember the year Mark Courtenay won and Dad had to to take his bike to pieces in front of the crowd in the main stand to make sure there was nothing had been tampered with.

Awwwwww Mrs Moon, Barney and Ted mad! god help any rider that got the better of them you'd have Jackie after them closely followed by Mrs Clark! Two of the best supporters any team would be proud to have in their supporters club. Does anyone remember the meeting where Mrs Moon had her leg crushed at Eastbourne when she was trapped under the fence after an accident?

Cliff and Maggie and their market stall, Uncle Ted won that many coats from them over the years he never had to buy another, I remember you could even buy a trophy off them to present at the end of the second half!

Oh thats it if it's not the Hackney fans making me all nostalgic it's the Rye House fans and if it's not them it's you lot of buggas!

Hey - a rather surprising reference to the old club in of all things the 'Barking & Dagenham Post' this week!!!

There's a bit of a debate locally about the (admittedly rather daft) appendage of 'and Redbridge' to the name of our local new Football League club.

Some are campaigning for a name change to Dagenham Dragons!

In support of this, someone in the 'Post' writes that there is a great tradition of alliterative names in sport, mentioning:

"Wycombe Wanderers, Bradford Bulls, Philadelphia Phillies, and Canterbury Crusaders"..!!! :o