British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kent Boy

Canterbury 1978

Bitter sweet memories to be honest - that image of the team parading the trophy around Kingsmead with a photograph of the late Graham Banks will forever remain in my memory!!!

We had an extremely powerful spearhead with Rumsey and Koppe, backed up solidly by Banks, Ferreira, Clifton, Shilleto and Piddock, but the key was Captain Kennett. We mustn't however forget the contributions made by the likes of Spelta and Hole as back-up and Maurice Morley can also take some of the credit as team manager.

In a nutshell, a really solid team which won one of the closest League Championships ever - thanks for the memories guys - each and every one of you. :approve:

It seemed strange that this was the end of the carrers really of Graham Clifton, Terry Casserly and Bob Spelta. What happened there?

Are you getting your years mixed up Kev. Mike Ferreira, Dave Piddock and Brendan Shilleto didn't ride in 1978.

Ferreira 7.64

Piddock 5.65

Shilleto 6.58

all in 1978 for Canterbury

Are you getting your years mixed up Kev. Mike Ferreira, Dave Piddock and Brendan Shilleto didn't ride in 1978.

As Steve has said, they certainly did - in fact in 98 meetings collectively. :wink:

Great memories of our title win :D

I've been speaking to a fellow named Blackmore who tells me he rode speedway at Canterbury when Johnnie Hoskins was there. ???? Anyone remember him

I've been speaking to a fellow named Blackmore who tells me he rode speedway at Canterbury when Johnnie Hoskins was there. ???? Anyone remember him

Well he certainly didn't represent the Crusaders in official competitions, but could have ridden in second half events, although I don't remember him.

Maybe Ms Bird can shine some light on him?

Nope nor me Kev will ask Dad when I se him see if he remembers checking his bike not sure when Dad became Machine Examiner and gave up the starting marshall to become pit marshall. Yet I do remember Johnnie Hoskins does that count :wink:

I sit corrected old age catching up. If you could answer the previous question regards Piddock, Spelta and Clifton

Dave Piddock I can answer this one, he told me when we met up that his adrenalin rush just went and so he gave up said that if the buzz was not there anymore then it was time to retire, after retiring he never returned to a speedway meeting up until a few years ago, I saw him at Cardiff last year with Bobby Mc and Graham Miles and also is a member of the VSRA WSRA although he didn't attend this year he was there last, with Bobby Mc, Les Rumsey, Uncle Ted and Graham Miles.