British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tomazpozrl

New Points System For Gp 2007

Gollob, a serial failure? Do me a favour - the bloke is a legend.

Mind you, there's no way Nicholls is a serial failure either, despite how Sub tries to distort the statistics.

All the best

Rob

I wish Nicholls would give over begging.

Sub. I do wish you would give over as well as your continual sniping at Nicholls is really boring and repetitive. We all know your feelings so you have no need to keep telling us at every opportunity.

I very much doubt if Scott has done any begging to get in the 2007 G.P's as it's not his decision who is in and who is out. So he is in - hard cheese for you but good for all the British fans who will enjoy seeing him in the G.P's this year.

WELL SAID

A well intentioned post & info for discussion Tomazpozrl, but the thread has lost its way due to several posters changing the subject to something totally different.

Back to the original :

A good,simple, easy and fair system was in place for years.

Before GPs the rider with most points after 20 heats was World Champion.

This was a long time ago, not BC but BS ( before sky )

The points system, format, Qualification system ? all hinge on how the sale of pay TV packages will be affected.

We are not the only sport to be affected by this, hence an away fixture for your local side 200 miles away on a tuesday night rather than 3pm Saturday.

However the BSPA & their equivalents have accepted the money, (all in the interest of furthering speedway) ? so they and us, the speedway supporter are left to reap the benefits ?

Edited by Mad Mitch

Gollob, a serial failure?  Do me a favour - the bloke is a legend.

He may well be a legend and quality racer but my point was that all that really matters is the World Championship title and the same could be said for all those riders that have had many many opportunities to win it but have failed. I used it to illustrate that perhaps under the new system we may see a change in riders who qualify for next season by rights.

I used it to illustrate that perhaps under the new system we may see a change in riders who qualify for next season by rights.

You don't say? Of course the hope is that you'll see a change in who qualifies for 2008. That's the whole purpose - to try and make things easier for the pauper prince. It's shameful. More charity coming the way of Nicholls.

You don't say? Of course the hope is that you'll see a change in who qualifies for 2008. That's the whole purpose - to try and make things easier for the pauper prince. It's shameful. More charity coming the way of Nicholls.

Having a quick look at last years scores, TG scored 40 points across 7 meetings and 54 points in 3 meetings. BP scored 64 pts across 9 meetings and 18 in 1. SN scored 63 pts across 8 meetings and 20 in 1.

Under the new scoring system, the final points table should reflect much more closely the riders' position according to their average score, in the same way that league averages rank riders now.

This show that some significant changes could occur but I stand by my point that it rewards riders who score well across the whole series in each and every race. This is how the league averages are worked out (not just on heat 15 results for example).

You know what, I can see it now. Every year at the BSI Christmas party, Scott puts in a show and spends most of the night bent over a table, "booking his place in the next series." :rolleyes:

The new points system, despite it's problems, has been introduced so that there is less emphasis put on the final, and more on consistency throughout the meeting. If anything, the only reason there are still semi-finals and a final are for the benefit of the spectators, so that there's a strong climax to the meeting.

According to the new scoring system last year would have looked like:

Crump: 1 - 188 pts; 1 - 164 pts

Hancock: 2 - 144; 2 - 141

Nicki P.: 3 - 134; 3 - 126

Jonsson: 4 - 119; 4 - 105

Adams: 5 - 106; 5 - 103

Andersen: 6 - 101; 7 - 91

Zagar: 7 - 97; 6 - 91

Gollob: 8 - 94; 8 - 86

Hampel: 9 - 91; 12 - 75

Lindback: 10 - 89; 10 - 80

Nicholls: 11 - 83; 9 - 81

Bjarne P.: 12 - 82; 11 - 79

Wasn't me who counted this, just found it on another forum.

I just hope Subedei doesn't see that 'cos by my reckoning that makes Scott Nicholls further down than he actually finished in 2006. Yet more ammunition. :D

I just hope Subedei doesn't see that 'cos by my reckoning that makes Scott Nicholls further down than he actually finished in 2006.  Yet more ammunition.  :D

No Gem, it actually moves Nicholls two places up in the rankings - the ol' mongol will have a theory nonetheless. :wink:

No Gem, it actually moves Nicholls two places up in the rankings - the ol' mongol will have a theory nonetheless. :wink:

He still doesn't qualify outright, so Sub doesn't have to do much work to change his theory. :D Interesting to note that the Top 8 would be exactly the same, with only positions 6 and 7 swapping.

Actually, Scott would be 8th, as Hans Andersen doesnt count. So he would have qualified. Not bad when you consider he missed a GP.

Give me just a little more time.

Actually, Scott would be 8th, as Hans Andersen doesnt count.  So he would have qualified.

But he didn't, again. Again the "pride" of British speedway was down on his hands and knees with his begging bowl and again BSI took pity on the pauper prince. I doubt it'll be any different this coming season, except that Nicholls probably won't come out with his brave words after the British final. The rest of the field will appreciate what the changes mean and will be going all out in the qualifying rounds.

According to reports, the golem Olsen believes 2007 to be the strongest field ever assembled for the GPs. That's not good news for the serial failure.

Give me just a little more time.

But he didn't, again. Again the "pride" of British speedway was down on his hands and knees with his begging bowl and again BSI took pity on the pauper prince. I doubt it'll be any different this coming season, except that Nicholls probably won't come out with his brave words after the British final. The rest of the field will appreciate what the changes mean and will be going all out in the qualifying rounds.

According to reports, the golem Olsen believes 2007 to be the strongest field ever assembled for the GPs. That's not good news for the serial failure.

They obviously feel that GB must have at least 2 riders in the competition and with Scott Nicholls being our national champion and provided he remains competitive he will always get a place.

They obviously feel that GB must have at least 2 riders in the competition and with Scott Nicholls being our national champion and provided he remains competitive he will always get a place.

And you're proud of that, are you? Britain's last GP win was way back in 2000. Does that make your chest swell with pride? Can British speedway sink any lower?