British Speedway Forum

I think that in terms of the crowd it would attract Kings Lynn is fairer, and by the fact that moving it to Kings Lynn opens it up for the potential of even one more track to attend then yes in fact it is better traveling wise.

But it DOESN'T do that - and that's the point! So it makes it easier for Ipswich P'boro and possibly Arena and Eastie fans....it also makes it MORE difficult for Swindon, Poole, Oxford, Reading, Belle Vue and Wolves fans (as is born out by Grachan's comments as well as my own!)

And as i have said clearly JC  agrees with me on that as he arranged a EL  event there, so do you now disagree with him ? are you against the pairs being there ?.

You see that's the thing isn't it , if you make comment against the super sevens on here is it seen as against it , i am making a point that i see as constructive criticism.

You appear to assume that because I don't have a problem with Sheffield for the ELRC that I have a problem with KL for the pairs - actually you are wrong. I don't have a problem with EITHER venue - i simply pointed out that KL is NOT easier to get to for the majority of EL fans than Sheffield! :P

Poole have taken a massive following to Kings Lynn though haven't they, they didn't support  the E.L.R.C at Sheffiled before why would this time be any different this time ? ow wait how could i forget its because the " Grid Girls " or what ever they are called are there.

Swindon and Poole transcended into farce due to elements beyond the Promoter control.

The E.L.R.C at Sheffield was a failure because there were as many fans at the leagues showpiece event as there were at a Sheffield versus Glasgow match, do you then seen that as success ? :blink:

Here is yet another point the E.L.R.C  was at Sheffield at a time when Reading and i think Arena and Swindon ( although i may be wrong ) were in the PL and Kings Lynn ( another track who would travel North plus they have the red hot favourite for the event ) were with in a logical distance, and it was still poorly supported.

Again huge assumptions are being made! So because it 'failed' ONCE we should never give it another go, is that right? You said it yourself - there were at least 2 less teams the last time so it 'may' increase the crowd size a bit by having 2 more teams....no?

I have not at any point said the last time was a success....it wasn't - however that doesn't mean that it won't work this time! If it doesn't then feel free to gloat to your hearts content!

I also don't find it coincidence that the ones against the points i making are.

A Sheffield fan.

A Swindon fan who is in Sheffield that day ( due to work ).

And a fan yourself who by his accounts has said you don't go to these event any way.

.[/b]

So the opinions of EL fans have less credence than a PL fan like yourself? Gracahn only said it was a good coincedence he was in Sheffield that week - he didn't say he wuldn't have gone otherwise!!!!!

And as for your comment about me - firstly HE? :o:rolleyes: Secondly, I actually said I didn't go to RECENT ones - maily becasue they were too difficult to get to!!!!!!! :lol:

I have still yet to here logical reasons why Sheffiled should be chosen for this event or what is going to be the " big thing " to bring the fans back.

It is STILL a medicore event.

It will STILL not have the top 16 EL riders.

It will STILL have a below par attendance.

Maybe you don't WANT to listen to what is being said!

But it DOESN'T do that - and that's the point! So it makes it easier for Ipswich P'boro and possibly Arena and Eastie fans....it also makes it MORE difficult for Swindon, Poole, Oxford, Reading, Belle Vue and Wolves fans (as is born out by Grachan's comments as well as my own!)

You appear to assume that because I don't have a problem with Sheffield for the ELRC that I have a problem with KL for the pairs - actually you are wrong. I don't have a problem with EITHER venue - i simply pointed out that KL is NOT easier to get to for the majority of EL fans than Sheffield! :P

Again huge assumptions are being made! So because it 'failed' ONCE we should never give it another go, is that right? You said it yourself - there were at least 2 less teams the last time so it 'may' increase the crowd size a bit by having 2 more teams....no?

It is not a case of it being more difficult to get to , read what i am saying KINGS LYNN HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE BETTER SUPPORTED and in my opinion it does.

I have not at any point said the last time was a success....it wasn't - however that doesn't mean that it won't work this time! If it doesn't then feel free to gloat to your hearts content!

So the opinions of EL fans have less credence than a PL fan like yourself? Gracahn only said it was a good coincedence he was in Sheffield that week - he didn't say he wuldn't have gone otherwise!!!!!

By the same was as i am saying i don't think it will work as evidence and history would say it wouldn't , why try it again so the sport like it always seems to do makes the same mistake and shoots its self in the foot AGAIN , i am not saying any thing like my opinion having more creedence than a EL fan i only see a minority supporting this.

And as for your comment about me - firstly HE? :o:rolleyes: Secondly, I actually said I didn't go to RECENT ones - maily becasue they were too difficult to get to!!!!!!! :lol:

Maybe you don't WANT to listen to what is being said!

I didn't know you were a women did i, and fair dos sorry about that.

The thing about this is , you are taking it of me being critical of what is being done , i am only thinking of what could be done to make it better, if it works then fair play , i don't see what has been done that would make it work.

Sheffield as a venue IMO , is not at all logical for Eastbourne,Poole,Arena,Ipswich where as KIngs Lynn is.

When ever i have been on tour on a Speedway holiday i have been based in the Sheffield,Coventry area, and getting to places like Kings Lynn,Peterborough is easy, which is what i am trying to say Kings Lynn is more open to a bigger support at the meeting IMO.

To be fair this is like banging my head of a brick wall , you are reading of what i post what you choose to.

Edited by wjm

Using AA roadwatch I took the following, because Im sat here bored!!!

...........................K/L............Sheffield

Swindon.............3:10..............3:07

Lakeside.............2:07..............3:11

Coventry............2:11..............1:39

Oxford................2:31..............2:28

Peterborough......0:55..............1:50

Ipswich...............1:34..............3:15

Wolves................2:40..............1:53

Belle Vue.............3:08.............1:01

Poole...................4:04.............4:06

Reading...............2:54..............3:04

Eastbourne...........3:30.............4:22

Just thought it was interesting!!

And maybe if I bother to read over the last 30 posts properly (I just havent lost the will to live YET!) I may add some additional comments. :D

Sandie - I was going to do this earlier but couldn't be bothered!

That said, I think I got my estimate about time it takes about right and, as Grachan said, the journey itself to Sheffield is easier because of the type of roads making the trip to Sheffield potentially easier for 7 out of the 11 EL teams! And definitely EASIER for 3 teams :approve:

It is not a case of it being more difficult to get to , read what i am saying KINGS LYNN HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE BETTER SUPPORTED and in my opinion it does.

I still don't get where you get the evidence of this from! If KL were to hold the meeting midweek, are you really saying that - looking at how close the times are in Sandie's post above - people are going to go to KL in droves whereas they won't go to Sheffield?

It's not a case of me reading anything into your posts but, apart from your strange 'thing' about Sheffield, I fail to see the logic in what you're saying. If you were judging like for like I could understand but you seem to be judging Sheffield on one previously poorly supported ELRC with KL for an EL match against Poole.....is this not a case of comparing apples and oranges?

Come back to me later in the season when both the ELRC and the EL Pairs have taken place - then, at least, we might have something similar to compare! :P;)

Edited by lupus

Using AA roadwatch I took the following, because Im sat here bored!!!

...........................K/L............Sheffield

Swindon.............3:10..............3:07

Lakeside.............2:07..............3:11

Coventry............2:11..............1:39

Oxford................2:31..............2:28

Peterborough......0:55..............1:50

Ipswich...............1:34..............3:15

Wolves................2:40..............1:53

Belle Vue.............3:08.............1:01

Poole...................4:04.............4:06

Reading...............2:54..............3:04

Eastbourne...........3:30.............4:22

Just thought it was interesting!!

And maybe if I bother to read over the last 30 posts properly (I just havent lost the will to live YET!) I may add some additional comments. :D

Pretty comparable really.

Pretty comparable really.

But not really taking into account Sheffield is serviced by two Motorways and the only way to get to King Lynn's is by using an A Road.

THANK you Hazzman - this is what I've been trying to get across! And as a P'boro fan who lives in Leicester you're probably in as good a positon as anyone to comment! :approve:

I think that in terms of the crowd it would attract Kings Lynn is fairer, and by the fact that moving it to Kings Lynn opens it up for the potential of even one more track to attend then yes in fact it is better traveling wise as it has potential to carry a bigger support and logical to carry more support than Sheffield.

And as i have said clearly JC  agrees with me on that as he arranged a EL  event there, so do you now disagree with him ? are you against the pairs being there ?.

You see that's the thing isn't it , if you make comment against the super sevens on here is it seen as against it , i am making a point that i see as constructive criticism.

Poole have taken a massive following to Kings Lynn though haven't they, they didn't support  the E.L.R.C at Sheffiled before why would this time be any different this time ? ow wait how could i forget its because the " Grid Girls " or what ever they are called are there.

Swindon and Poole transcended into farce due to elements beyond the Promoter control.

The E.L.R.C at Sheffield was a failure because there were as many fans at the leagues showpiece event as there were at a Sheffield versus Glasgow match, do you then seen that as success ? :blink:

Here is yet another point the E.L.R.C  was at Sheffield at a time when Reading and i think Arena and Swindon ( although i may be wrong ) were in the PL and Kings Lynn ( another track who would travel North plus they have the red hot favourite for the event ) were with in a logical distance, and it was still poorly supported.

I also don't find it coincidence that the ones against the points i making are.

A Sheffield fan.

A Swindon fan who is in Sheffield that day ( due to work ).

And a fan yourself who by his accounts has said you don't go to these event any way.

I have still yet to here logical reasons why Sheffiled should be chosen for this event or what is going to be the " big thing " to bring the fans back.

It is STILL a medicore event.

It will STILL not have the top 16 EL riders.

It will STILL have a below par attendance.

Right I have said that I do take your point on some of things that you have said, but as I have already stated the Sunday is a no goer, it clashes with the Polish League.

The Geographical thing is something you are going to encounter where ever you go,some fans are going to have to make the long journey.

Yes Sheffield did have a problem once before with a PLRC, but we have run many big event since and succesfully, the attendance figures well I will believe your prediction when I see.

There has been a massive call for these meetings to be on neutral tracks, and on most meetings this has been the case, and whether you like it or not Sheffield carries the stadia, for a big event, if you are going to try and attract sponsorship you need to show them the best stadia.

I will agrre with one thing that you say Birmingham look to have potential to run a big meeting they have a nice stadia and would be easy for most supporters to go to, but at the moment it is too early for them.

I think the Thursday date has been arranged, because if you go for a Sunday you clash with the Polish League, which most of the riders ride so that would be the reason behind Thursday in Sheffield.

The cheesy entertainment, having never seen the Fuel Girls I cannot comment, as I have never seen them, seen there Website though, and would not say they are cheesy, very very different.

Geographically, well you are never going please everybody, Belle Vue, Wolves and Coventry could make the same complaints about haiving to go all the way down to Poole last season, and to be fair Poole had it last year and look at the fiasco that caused down there last year.

What fiasco did the ELRC cause at Poole? Do you mean when we had a shower of rain and the riders refused to ride? Extensive work was done on the track and the rain had stopped. The meeting was called off and within ten minutes, the hot sun was already drying out the track. Even Kelvin Tatum said that if the riders had waited another twenty minutes, the meeting could have gone ahead and the racing would have been very good.

So what happens if the meeting is rained off at Sheffield? When will it be re-staged?

Does anyone know what contingency plans are in place?

Right I have said that I do take your point on some of things that you have said, but as I have already stated the Sunday is a no goer, it clashes with the Polish League.

The Geographical thing is something you are going to encounter where ever you go,some fans are going to have to make the long journey.

Yes Sheffield did have a problem once before with a PLRC, but we have run many big event since and succesfully, the attendance figures well I will believe your prediction when I see.

There has been a massive call for these meetings to be on neutral tracks, and  on most meetings this has been the case, and whether you like it or not Sheffield carries the stadia, for a big event, if you are going to try and attract sponsorship you need to show them the best stadia.

I will agree with one thing that you say Birmingham look to have potential to run a big meeting they have a nice stadia and would be easy for most supporters to go to, but at the moment it is too early for them.

First read what i am saying before you comment it seems to be a consistent problem with your replies , i have said a Sunday is preferable , never said anything other than that.

Big events at Sheffield and failure go hand in hand, more so it seems when they are televised, the P.L.R.C fiasco,E.L.R.C poor crowd, Since you seem to blame Poole speedway for the E.L.R.C then here's one the WTC transcended into farce, that's what is deemed successful ?. :blink:

It is not a case of likeing it nor not ITS WHAT CAN BE DONE TO IMPROVE !!!!!!!! as i have said from the start.

As for facilities you can have the best stadium in the world, but like i have said all through this , IF AND THERE IS NO REASON I HAVE SEEN YET THAT SAYS IT SHOULDNT it is as poorly attended as the last E.L.R.C it will look embarrassing, that is to no ones benefit.

If the super7even is the best the B.S.P.A can come up with i think that this season will be the nail in the coffin for these events , at the top level at least.

Looking at those times to other tracks.....can we move Ippo slightly more central to the rest of the country? :D

If the super7even is the best the B.S.P.A can come up with i think that this season will be the nail in the coffin for these events , at the top level at least.

Christ it will be if everyone thinks as you do!! Flipping eck ..............

First read what i am saying before you comment it seems to be a consistent problem with your replies , i have said a Sunday is preferable , never said anything other than that.

Big events at Sheffield and failure go hand in hand, more so it seems when they are televised, the P.L.R.C fiasco,E.L.R.C poor crowd, Since you seem to blame Poole speedway for the E.L.R.C then here's one the WTC transcended into farce, that's what is deemed successful ?. :blink:

It is not a case of likeing it nor not ITS WHAT CAN BE DONE TO IMPROVE !!!!!!!! as i have said from the start.

As for facilities you can have the best stadium in the world, but like i have said all through this , IF AND THERE IS NO REASON I HAVE SEEN YET THAT SAYS IT SHOULDNT it is as poorly attended as the last E.L.R.C it will look embarrassing, that is to no ones benefit.

You are quoting one PLRC meeting that we had problems at, yes it was unfortunate that the cameras were there, but in was one meeting out god knows how many PLRC meetings that we have staged, not forgetting Under 21 meetings we have stage, and last season as well as the PLRC we ran the World Under 21 Qualifier, a FIM meeting which was a success.

There is a saying that you learn from your lessons, and I think that the Sheffield promotion has in my view learnt that, one thing that I will apologise for is the critism of the Poole Management I was wrong on that and should not have done that.

How do you know that the event is going to be poorly attended, you make assumptions, because one fan from Sheffield said it was the last time, lets wait and see.

Like I say you mention Birmingham, and yes this geographically is better place to run this meeting, but been a new promotion it would be unfair to ask them to run this kind of meeting.

How do you know that the event is going to be poorly attended, you make assumptions, because one fan from Sheffield said it was the last time, lets wait and see.

Its not an assumption its a FACT.