British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sandie

Premier League Best Pairs

but only if its Elite.  The whole idea behind super 7 was neutral venues and the OTA is NOT

Just because Emil Kramer wake up till his third ride doesn't mean that should be over looked

But surely it's not an option to run an elite league match the night before a GP ? - can't see many top riders being prepared to ride and if forced can see many just going through the motions not wanting to risk injury and all their main equipment being held back for the following night.

Friday nights match was a supurb start to the weekend and I wouldn't be at all disapointed to see a repeat of this in 2008 with or without home track advantage.

just back from whole weekend of speedway - though the track at OTA was superbly prepared and produced some great racing i am sorry that the location is not condusive to such an event in my opinion

okay they may have been unfortunate with crashes on M5 to take 2.5 hours for 37 mile journey was not pleasant after taking 8 hours to get to bristol - i would have missed meeting had i now take the ricky ashworth drastic action of sticking hazards on and jumping into hard shoulder for about 0.5 mile :blink:

spent most of meeting on 4th bend with Comets fans who were disappointed to lose to glasgow in semi they took defeat well and had no animosity at all and wished tigers well in final

i moved to 1st bend to watch 3rd place heat and enjoyed that only to be appalled by Newcastle fans (led by adam mckinna- has he got chip on his shoulder about something?) booing when tigers were 1st and 3rd then cheering when shane and craig were passed - how sad

sorry disagree about getting out car park - it was down to pushing your luck - after waiting 20 mins or so for coaches to leave 1st - why?took me 40 mins to get out and i was out sharp after meeting

got back to bristol at midnight after setting off from glasgow at 7am - long day

congrats to shane and craig exceeded expectations - well done IOW holder was immense and well supported by bunyan - pepe caught the eye as did ulstargrad - and of course nemo - neath impressed early on but had no support - kl pairing started on fire but disappeared - compton was major disappointment as was grieves

enjoyed experience but don't think i would go back unless roads improved greatly

just back from whole weekend of speedway - though the track at OTA was superbly prepared and produced some great racing i am sorry that the location is not condusive to such an event in my opinion

okay they may have been unfortunate with crashes on M5 to take 2.5 hours for 37 mile journey was not pleasant after taking 8 hours to get to bristol - i would have missed meeting had i now take the ricky ashworth drastic action of sticking hazards on and jumping into hard shoulder for about 0.5 mile  :blink:

enjoyed experience but don't think i would go back unless roads improved greatly

Normally, it's a 60 minute journey from Newport to Somerset (49 miles), in the 10 times I have done it in the past thats all it's been. This time we were just terribly unlucky.

Regarding the hard shoulder thing, the irony is that if you had gone to the outside lane, you could have legally got to the junction quicker! Once people started pilling into the hard shoulder I just shot past them all LEGALLY and got right to the junction while people continued to queue in the hard shoulder! Laugh? You bet I did!!! After the 90 minutes of swearing and cursing it was good to know something worked out well for me and all those people trying to cheat actually lost out :D

Really enjoyed my first visit to Somerset, fantastic track with some fantastic racing.

Josef Franc was brilliant to watch, as were Ostergaard, Holder and Zorro. :approve:

At least when we pulled out last season we done it to save embarrassment for ourselves and the competition with a weakened pair riding, but why did Sheffield not do the same and let Simmons/Schramm fight for the title?

It would have been better for the competition to watch anything other than them two plonkers from Sheffield bringing up the rear all meeting like a couple of juniors.

Oh dear. Compton no.1 rider in the league? Pratworth better than Kennett? Haha.

Brilliant.

special merit award to rye house this year for turning up with more riders than fans!nice to see you backing your team guys!

I thought that it was a very well run meeting with no undue delays (although like a lot of people we got held up enroute so it would have been better for if they could have deleayed the start a little longer but hey-ho I did see all of the Rye races.

The snag is CRM, we have a 10 p.m. curfew. If they had delayed the start much longer they couldn't be certain of completing the meeting and that would have been a much bigger disappointment to everyone.

though the track at OTA was superbly prepared and produced some great racing i am sorry that the location is not condusive to such an event in my opinion

okay they may have been unfortunate with crashes on M5 to take 2.5 hours for 37 mile journey was not pleasant after taking 8 hours to get to bristol

You have my sympathy Tigerfeet, but to be fair the situation on Friday afternoon/evening was exceptional. As I have posted on another thread, there were actually 5 separate crashes on the roads in the area from about 4.30 p.m. onwards (and 15 people taken to hospital) STORY HERE We have lived here for 17 years and I cannot remember anything quite so bad before, not even on bank holidays.

On a happier note. at least the weather was kind to us. B)

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole evening, although obviously a little disappointed with Somerset's result. We are used to watching good racing at the OTA but Friday was just fantastic. Congratulations to the Islanders, a well deserved win. Holder was just amazing - what a weekend he's had!

Well done to the IOW for winning the PL Pairs and especially to Chris Holder who was the star of the meeting as he was today at the Welsh Open. Glasgow had the more evening pairing collecting good team advantages throughout the night but just ran out of steam in the final.

My 1st visit to the Oak Tree Arena and the racing was superb with riders always scrapping coming out of the 2nd bend especially and ride and pass of the night has to go to Josef Franc when he cut back on Kauko Niemenen..fantastic!!

Sheffield just never got going and could not gate and even when they did there was just no pace in the bikes. Even if they have not ridden for 3 weeks that is no excuse the bikes should be prepared and ready for action..so much for Andre saying in the program "after Sheffield somerset is probably the best track to suit mine and Rickys style".. Oh well not gonna let it dampen the weekend just one of them all too commen poor performances this season from our boys and lets hope we can do get more than 15 at Lynn, beat Holder on Thursday, stuff Rye House on saturday and shut you lot up and then win the fours...yeah a no am hoping.

As for getting their late no sympathy they should no the M5 would be busy at that time..Andre only got there early according to the man himself due to Peter carr doing some lunatic antics down the hard shoulder for many a mile. When Ricky turned up at 7.15pm you thought he might have got changed in the van like Ostergaard had done but no had he heck strolls out of van with a big grin on his face..sort it out Ricky..as some Sheffield fans were saying he is not gonna get any better am afraid and its time to move on!!

i moved to 1st bend to watch 3rd place heat and enjoyed that only to be appalled by Newcastle fans (led by adam mckinna- has he got chip on his shoulder about something?) booing when tigers were 1st and 3rd then cheering when shane and craig were passed - how sad

Men of integrity showing their displeasure about clear disregard of integrity by the notsosuper7s allowing the Glasgow pairing to compete?

Or maybes just he is A Moanarch at Heart and is trying to get one over their old rivals.

The snag is CRM, we have a 10 p.m. curfew. If they had delayed the start much longer they couldn't be certain of completing the meeting and that would have been a much bigger disappointment to everyone.

Fair enough KayJay - the priority has to be the completion of the meeting. It was such a good meeting it was just a shame that I missed even a second of it. It was to the credit of all concerned that the only gaps between races were for track prep. If only more meetings were run so efficiently !!

Men of integrity showing their displeasure about clear disregard of integrity by the notsosuper7s allowing the Glasgow pairing to compete?

no bloody way can u say mckinna has integrity. i've alredy said on the chris harris thread adam mckinna nearly ruined my boys 1st ever trip to a GP with the way he reacted to them before we went into the stadium. neither of them will ever cheer for him again + i'll never forgive him for upsetting my 8yo + 5yo.

The snag is CRM, we have a 10 p.m. curfew.  If they had delayed the start much longer they couldn't be certain of completing the meeting and that would have been a much bigger disappointment to everyone.

You have my sympathy Tigerfeet, but to be fair the situation on Friday afternoon/evening was exceptional.  As I have posted on another thread, there were actually 5 separate crashes on the roads in the area from about 4.30 p.m. onwards (and 15 people taken to hospital) STORY HERE  We have lived here for 17 years and I cannot remember anything quite so bad before, not even on bank holidays.

On a happier note. at least the weather was kind to us. B)

Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole evening, although obviously a little disappointed with Somerset's result.   We are used to watching good racing at the OTA but Friday was just fantastic.  Congratulations to the Islanders, a well deserved win.  Holder was just amazing - what a weekend he's had!

Yeah that was so frustrating being stuck in all that watching the clock ticking towards the start time and not being able to move anywhere . But we missed 5 heats of speedway - some people are lying in hospital .

Anyway it was a great meeting and we were sooooooo close . For 3 laps we had it , but not to be . I passed a few Monarchs fans on the way out who were a bit relieved they weren't in attendance at another Glasgow triumph :P That would have made my night :lol:

Cheers Kev and Joanne for your company and keeping me informed when i was stuck on the M5 .

Edited by Paulco

Yeah that was so frustrating being stuck in all that watching the clock ticking towards the start time and not being able to move anywhere . But we missed 5 heats of speedway - some people are lying in hospital .

Anyway it was a great meeting and we were sooooooo close . For 3 laps we had it , but not to be . I passed a few Monarchs fans on the way out who were a bit relieved they weren't in attendance at another Glasgow triumph  :P That would have made my night  :lol:

Cheers Kev and Joanne for your company and keeping me informed when i was stuck on the M5 .

oooh,i bet that hurt passing afew monarchs,it`s always called stones down here :)

Cheers Kev and Joanne for your company and keeping me informed when i was stuck on the M5
:( Sorry I missed you Paulco, didn't know you were there (serves me right for not being on the forum much any more I guess :rolleyes: )

Great meeting, originally wasn't going to be there but decided on Thursday that we were and am I glad we did?! Wouldn't have missed Holder's rides around the Oak Tree Arena on Friday night for anything! Him beating Zorro (as much as I like the guy) was something I wasn't expecting to see!

Great racing from everyone and a great night's entertainment all round! Nice to see all the fans from different clubs enjoying the night!

Nice to see SCB, Silver Cheetah, Buzzybee, Kev H and Joanne again too, even if it was only briefly at the end! :D

Super meeting, loads of good racing, big crowd, decent weather, great view of the track

and well organised (can't blame the promotion for the traffic can ya!).

Pity Wrighty kept making an arse of bend 4 or we could have been looking at a Comets win :approve:

Holder, Capt Niemo and Pepe Franc stood out on the night, although there were plenty of other good performances. Credit to Glasgow as I didn't think Wato looked particulary fast but they rode well 'as a pair', which is what it's all about. Sheffield were crap, pretty embarassing for Compton after his pre-meeting dig about not getting into the GB squad :lol: Don't see to much of Ashworth but he strikes me as a tryer who's just not quite good enough against the PL big boy's :unsure:

Thanks to TinyTim, Swedebasher (never bumped into you though m8), John and Jane(?), Les (or Len?) the sick driver :cry: and the others I met at the meeting. Maybe bump into some of you next year with any luck ;)

No problem, Paulco. Pleased to meet you and hope we can share your company again. Thanks for the pint yesterday :)

Took us a hour to get to Somerset from Bridgwater, knew there was something wrong straight away so put the radio on. Didn't seem to be that many in the stadium although it was quite full after heat 5 approx. due to the traffic.

Not a bad meeting. Would have been better with a Glasgow win but I suppose the IOW deserved it more. We were only sort of average throughout the meeting.

I think we must have been in the bar about 10 mins after the meeting in Bridgwater :rolleyes: