British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sandie

Premier League Best Pairs

Brilliant meeting, Took us 6 hours to get there from cheshire when it normally takes 2 1/2 never mind

We came to sell wristbands in aid of Garry Stead so thanks so much to all thoose that purchased them we managed to raise £180 towards the Garry Stead Fund if we manage to sell them all there is a large sum of money to be raised for Garry . So if you have'nt got yours yet please pm us for further details

Cheers

Scoobydoo1

Well done to the IOW for winning the PL Pairs and especially to Chris Holder who was the star of the meeting as he was today at the Welsh Open. Glasgow had the more evening pairing collecting good team advantages throughout the night but just ran out of steam in the final.

My 1st visit to the Oak Tree Arena and the racing was superb with riders always scrapping coming out of the 2nd bend especially and ride and pass of the night has to go to Josef Franc when he cut back on Kauko Niemenen..fantastic!!

Sheffield just never got going and could not gate and even when they did there was just no pace in the bikes. Even if they have not ridden for 3 weeks that is no excuse the bikes should be prepared and ready for action..so much for Andre saying in the program "after Sheffield somerset is probably the best track to suit mine and Rickys style".. Oh well not gonna let it dampen the weekend just one of them all too commen poor performances this season from our boys and lets hope we can do get more than 15 at Lynn, beat Holder on Thursday, stuff Rye House on saturday and shut you lot up and then win the fours...yeah a no am hoping.

As for getting their late no sympathy they should no the M5 would be busy at that time..Andre only got there early according to the man himself due to Peter carr doing some lunatic antics down the hard shoulder for many a mile. When Ricky turned up at 7.15pm you thought he might have got changed in the van like Ostergaard had done but no had he heck strolls out of van with a big grin on his face..sort it out Ricky..as some Sheffield fans were saying he is not gonna get any better am afraid and its time to move on!!

Have to agree with you about Ricky, getting far to comfortable at Sheffield, will he be moved on, I doubt it Sheffield Window Centre might have something to say about that.

Well done IOW for winning the pairs.

Have to agree with you about Ricky, getting far to comfortable at Sheffield, will he be moved on, I doubt it Sheffield Window Centre might have something to say about that.

Said it before the season and still saying it now that I wouldn't have personally had Ricky back at Sheffield this year.

I'm not sure how much further he can go in the sport than the level he is at now. I have to admit he has definitely shown flashes that he can be a very good rider but he is doing his career no good by just 'Birko-ing' around Owlerton at the crucial stage of his development that he is at.

If Ricky is serious about progression, he needs to change his home track.

Riding alongside Lyons would be a good move for him next year, as he seems to learn from the old wizard.

There seems to be a number of riders who are well within their comfort zone at sheffield and if they do want to progress in the sport they have to take a long hard look at themselves, mainly ricky and ben, niether of which have made the expected progress this season, especially as the league is a lot weaker than it was last year.

the only two riders who have progressed this season are paul cooper and joel parsons who need to be the first two names on next seasons team sheet along with kyle and lee complin, if either of those two will ride for sheffield again

Edited by The Third Man

There seems to be a number of riders who are well within their comfort zone at sheffield and if they do want to progress in the sport they have to take a long hard look at themselves, mainly ricky and ben, niether of which have made the expected progress this season, especially as the league is a lot weaker than it was last year.

the only two riders who have progressed this season are paul cooper and joel parsons who need to be the first two names on next seasons team sheet along with kyle and lee complin, if either of those two will ride for sheffield again

Not much to add to that really - agree with every single word! Only additional comment is I'd like to see Cooper up his away form too - brilliant at home this year but needs to get better elsewhere of we're looking at another on our ever lengthening list of Owlerton only riders.

Think I'd keep Andre at number 1 as I can't see where we are going to get better from but Andre, Kyle, Complin, Joel and Cooper looks like a pretty good basis for a side next year.

Made my first visit to the OTA on Friday night and may I say what a fantastic little place it is, great racing surface, announcer in the box was superb very articulate and informative, good to see Craig Saul there on the roaming mike just love the guys nicknames for everone! and I love the way the track is below you when on the banking.

Went along to see my second team the Mercom Brummies, who with the loss of Jason Lyons really ended their hopes. Great nights racing well done to the IOW.

I agree with what everyone has been saying about the Sheffield boys, I have seen alot of the Tigers and must say Ricky really has hit a wall, as an opposing rider I would think you had a very good chance of beating him in heat one and thirteen, take Somerset both Kramer and Zorro are a great top two are very capable on any track in the country. Ben Wilson is another who really needs a move away from Owlerton to further his career. On the subject of Kyle I don't think he'll be back at Sheffield, I think a move to the Elite will be on the cards, the EOES would be a great new home for him !

The tannoy system seemed to be the old version. I was stood on the back straight and everything the announcer said was echoed so you couldn't here what he was saying. I found the racing average and we were very poor.

Edited by marron

Must admit did fancy Havvy and Grieves at the start of the meeting, is Havvy still struggling with the injury a little or just getting back into the swing of things ?

Must admit did fancy Havvy and Grieves at the start of the meeting, is Havvy still struggling with the injury a little or just getting back into the swing of things ?

I think he and grievesy just had an off night. He did well at Rye on Sunday and has been banging in the points for us Home and Away.

Havvy is a tope bloke, was fantstic in the few years he was with the Panthers, i'll never forget about four years ago he was guesting for us at time and run a lap with his bike to pick up a point, will never forget that especially only being a guest, a true professional and great ambassador for Britsh Speedway.

Havvy is a tope bloke, was fantstic in the few years he was with the Panthers, i'll never forget about four years ago he was guesting for us at time and run a lap with his bike to pick up a point, will never forget that especially only being a guest, a true professional and great ambassador for Britsh Speedway.

Very insirational captain and is a great motivator towards the team. I agree that he is a true honest pro who always gives 110%. Grieves has also been great this season for us and has surely got to be in the top 6 PL signings of the season so far. Espescially as he had so many doubters (including me).

thought it would benefit from banking on the corners though to really make it a top circuit entertainment wise.
Somerset already is a great circuit and doesn't need banking to improve it. On Friday once it had dried out you saw riders trying different lines, and all of them seemed pretty effective.

A very good meeting, and just reward for Somerset who have brought the sport to a new area and as a club have come a long way in a short time. All credit to them and I sincerely hope that this becomes a regular eve-of-GP meeting from now on.

Graham.

I found the racing average and we were very poor.

I take it you were watching from the back of the beer tent then ? :P:P:P:D ..............at least you got one bit right !!

A great meeting (as you'd expect from the best track in British speedway).

A superb meeting on a crackingly prepared racestrip.

This was a great meeting...........It was a shame that Sky didnt cover the pairs, it was a great advert for the sport. Good close racing, overtaking

Cracking night, I also hope the OTA get another top meeting next year before the GP, what a night.

My first  visit to the OTA. And what a treat..........The PL Pairs was a great meeting on a terrific race track.

just back from whole weekend of speedway - though the track at OTA was superbly prepared and produced some great racing

Brilliant meeting
Edited by womble53