British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spin king

Premier League Rider Champ

Just sat here thinking of how to change the Premier Legue Riders Championship, and I have come up with this idea.

It is in a Grand Prix style, so here we go. Take the top 15 riders from the previous season, not including riders who have move up to the Elite League.

In the case of last season these would be;

Zetterstrom Somerset

Havelock Redcar

Parker Glasgow

Compton Sheffield

Topinka Kings Lynn

Lyons Birmingham

Nermark Kings Lynn

Holder IOW

Boxall Rye House

Wright Workington

Ashworth Sheffield

Neath Rye House

Stead Stoke

Stancl Glasgow

Franc Newcastle

Every track would host a meeting on the lines of who ever scores the most points win the meeting, with the winner getting 16, second 15, third 14 and so on down to the last rider getting one point.

The 16th rider would be wild card of the host tracks choosing, this would mean that those tracks that don't have top 15 rider will still have some interest in the meeting.

In the event of a top 15 rider been injuries then his place would be taken by the next rider on the list from the averages from last season i.e. Makovsky of Berwick and so on.

Doing this you could see who is the best rider in premier, there would be no track advantage, as all tracks would be used.

Also I think that it would be easy to get decent sponsor, as it will country wide ranging from Edinburgh to IOW.

What does everybody else think, no doubt I hve missed something does everybody think it might be a goer let me know.

The one fatal flaw would be availability of riders for 15 extra meetings and on the friday, sat and sunday tracks there would be no other meetings that day and as teams struggled to fufill their fixtures by the cut-off date last year they will be struggling even more with this . Sorry spin king a one-off PLRC is the only answer .

The one fatal flaw would be availability of riders for 15 extra meetings and on the friday, sat and sunday tracks there would be no other meetings that day and as teams struggled to fufill their fixtures by the cut-off date last year they will be struggling even more with this . Sorry spin king a one-off PLRC is the only answer .

No problems mate was just putting the idea forward, to see how everybody else thought about it. Of course it would take a massive amount of organisation, but at least I think that we would get to see who is the best rider in the league.

havent some teams got time curfews,wouldnt a meeting of this size take quite a while. :unsure: and i agree with paulco most riders have other meetings to do never mind 15 extra meetings.

No problems mate was just putting the idea forward, to see how everybody else thought about it. Of course it would take a massive amount of organisation, but at least I think that we would get to see who is the best rider in the league.

Or alternatively we could just give the trophy to the rider with the highest average at the end of the season and not bother at all . :P

Sorry mate i still prefer a one-off world final to the GPs and i enjoy the one-off PLRC immensely .

Dinosaurs rule . :wink:

Or alternatively we could just give the trophy to the rider with the highest average at the end of the season and not bother at all .  :P

Sorry mate i still prefer a one-off world final to the GPs and i enjoy the one-off PLRC immensely .

Dinosaurs rule .  :wink:

No to honest I prefer the on off, but trying to satisfy others who are not happy.

A promotional delight for Berwick,Edinburgh,Mildenhall and Newport. :rolleyes:

Edited by wjm

A promotional delight for Berwick,Edinburgh,Mildenhall and Newport. :rolleyes:

Not denying that it had its flaws,but did say that the 16th rider was a wild card of the host tracks choice, and would have thought that they would have gone for one of there own riders.

Not denying that it had its flaws,but did say that the 16th rider was a wild card of the host tracks choice, and would have thought that they would have gone for one of there own riders.

'cept Edinburgh maybe . :wink:

The logical thing would have been to have the top average riders in each PL team, plus a wild card, more markatable plus the fact it would mean fans from every club would follow it, it should be the same with all National events, teams shouldnt be exclude from finals just on averages, they should be made to accomadate all teams.

The logical thing would have been to have the top average riders in each PL team, plus a wild card, more markatable plus the fact it would mean fans from every club would follow it, it should be the same with all National events, teams shouldnt be exclude from finals just on averages, they should be made to accomadate all teams.

No problem with that, I chose my format which gave the top boys from the season before, so would still allow the host track to chose the wild card or would you go for a commitee to decided it.

If you wanted to completely revamp the PL Riders Chammpionship to involve more riders you can do it so that it does include all teams.

You start with the one to fives of every team at the beginning of the season and every rider races in three qualification meetings, one home and two away. In a tracks home meeting the teams number six rides as a wild card and their 7+8 are the meeting reserves. This much could be completed during World Cup week and may well draw in EL fans who are starved of live speedway that week.

Then the top sixteen scorers would go to a one off final on an EL Track that is chosen by drawing a ball from a bag of the clubs who have offered to hold it. Then nobody can accuse anybody of bias.

You could have two semi-finals if you wanted to go with the top thrity-two scorers.

Can this system work? Why not that is how the British Championship used to be run when it truelly was a World Championship Qualifying competition.

Best wishes,

Judy

I agree. It should include all teams and that goes for the EL pairs, and the Craven Shield. The BSPA wants more teams in the EL but when they do come up, they are excluded from certain things, e.g. Oxford and Arena Essex last year and I, for one, think that it is grossly unfair. :angry:

I agree. It should include all teams and that goes for the EL pairs, and the Craven Shield. The BSPA wants more teams in the EL but when they do come up, they are excluded from certain things, e.g. Oxford and Arena Essex last year and I, for one, think that it is grossly unfair. :angry:

Dear Pollyanna,

I quite agree with you. The only thing that I have been thinking though is that because teams and many fans treat the "Craven" and "Young" shields as a joke, these competitions should be renamed and those shields should be awarded to the teams that top the EL and PL each year.

Possibly in the EL October could be set aside for the play-offs as now but also the KO Cup, or base the play-offs on the results of the first sixteen home and sixteen away matches and if any team has outstanding fixtures they could complete them in October.

Just a few thoughts of mine but what do you think?

Best wishes,

Judy