British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sheephead

Attendances For British Gp

Despite the often dodgy nature of a temp track,cardiff is seen by most(including the riders) as the jewel in the crown of the GP calendar--so why is it round 3/4??? surely(and i admit that stadium availability must come into play) cardiff should be the final round,where you actually get to see the world champ crowned!(would undoubetdly add to the attendance-even more so if a brit was still in contention,sadly unlikely) I cant beleive BSI havent thought about this,eventhough we would be talking sept/oct it seems the obvious move to fill the place,to me!! :unsure:

Moving the start time would have little effect in my opinion. Many people will stil look to stay over, so they can have a drink and a GP 'weekend'. The next day is Sunday so if you like travelling there and back you will have the pleasure of empty roads once you clear Cardiff for the return journey and only a small number of people work on the Sunday. I like the timing as we don't have to rise too early on the Saturday to get there, can soak up the atmosphere in the city beforehand and travel back on the Sunday. It will always be quite expensive whenever it's held but the Hotel situation is deplorable as they rip-off people because they know they can get away with inflammatory prices. The number of block booked rooms by the organiser/sponsors doesn't help the paying fans at all!

Personally i feel its down to expence. Hotel cost rising every year, ticket

prices, rising every year, travelling costs, rising every year.put food and drinks for the weekend on top. small wonder the attendances will drop!. The product has to be there, otherwise people will

vote with there feet, sooner or later. Its the same in any sport!.

Yes...but....rather than stopping altogether surely it's best to try to cut down on the expense? :unsure: It's not really necessary to stay overnight in a hotel as most, if not all tracks, run coaches to Cardiff - even Leicester send one and we haven't held Speedway for 24 years. It still means you can be in Cardiff for the afternoon so don't miss any of the atmosphere.

Buy early and get the cheaper tickets - no-one has to spend £60.

Pack up some sandwiches and a bottle of pop etc., and give up excessive drinking throughout the day which must cost a bomb. (Not aimed at anyone in particular.) :P

It's also possible to find cheaper B/B's if you book early enough. The one we have always stayed at since 2001 was charging £35 per night bed & breakfast last year which I don't think was too expensive.

At 6am!!! You can get from London to Scotland in about 5/6 hours.You should be able to get to Cardiff in under 6 hours from anywhere in England surely

Someone who we go with doesnt like heights, we have to long way through Wales. I exggerated but I don't think it's feasible.

We do what Gem's placed on the thread.

Someone who we go with doesnt like heights, we have to long way through Wales. I exggerated but I don't think it's feasible.

:unsure:

What is the long way?? And from where?

Apparently 32,000 went to see the Sydney GP, that's just a little short of Cardiffs lowest attendances......... How come it was a financial failure?

Re Cardiff, If I was a hotelier and fillinging it every year for the speedway GP. I'd charge more each year. That weekend would need to subsidise the ones when my hotel is cheap and empty. It's general commerce.

1) Tickets are very expensive.

2) Too many hangers on with free bees!

3) Hotels room prices are a rip off! And too many are block booked!

4) The coaches you get from tracks are a nightmare, made the mistake of going on one in 2004, form manchester to cardiff via stoke and wolverhampton. Never again, took forever!

All of these can be sorted without the meed for someone who is a whizz at marketing! Greed mainly!

Guest Schumi
2) Too many hangers on with free bees!

Yep, that's why I'm not going to Cardiff. Too many bees. :unsure::P

Edited by Schumi

And if you work out the cost of going to the british gp and all the hazzle of trying to get booked in a hotel and the price you pay then look at the prague gp i know which one is cheaper by far, loads of availability and is a proper racing track i know which i will be doing in future. And its not three quid a pint try 20p lol....

We've read your posts about Babylon and Jerusalem so you can't possibly claim that!

Have to admit, that's a heck of a good reply. But I'm not deluded - I know that it will be hard to bring Babylon down, but it must be achieved in order to bring forth the New Jerusalem.