British Speedway Forum
Gary Stanworth

The Late Gary Peterson

I was at the meeting when Gary was killed and can still picture the crash clearly.

He was entering the third turn trailing Alan Grahame and had Malcolm Shakespear just behind him. Gary went mid track and at the apex of the bend, Gary's front wheel hit Big Al's back wheel.

This made Gary lock up and spun him around 180 degrees which now meant he was facing the fence. All this happened in a split second and Gary was going backwards off his bike which resulted in him pulling on the power and hurtled straight into the fence.

The fence has always been very safe at Wolves, but sadly Gary hit the fence at speed and was thrown over the fence and head first into a lighting stanction mid track.

This was around heat 10 or 12 of the scheduled 13 heats and I thought it was called off straight after, but I was only 8 at the time and maybe wrong. However this is the only Speedway meeting (thankfully) that I have been at where a rider was killed on track and seem to recall being told the meeting was cancelled.

If the meeting did continue, then maybe he was rushed straight to hospital with the riders told it was just serious ? - Not sure.

Gary was one of my favourites and as I got older, it suprised me that he was only a 6 point rider as he always seemed to win a fair number of races.

The meeting definitely wasn't called off. It ended Wolves 40 Oxford 38. Reports in Speedway Star said he was killed instantly.

The aforementioned cine footage from the first leg can be seen here:

Gary in yellow.

I remember Gary's first rides at Brough Park. It was at the Press and Practice day at the start of the 1968 season.

I think he had only just arrived in this country and been rushed up to Brough. He looked the scruffiest rider ever and seemed very impatient to show what he could do. After several laps and races he was coming round the 4th bend, with full power on, and just lost it hurtling into the fence. He probably missed the start of the season as I think he injured his wrist. Little rider with bags of guts. :)

:blink::blink:

Thanx to everyone on the forum for the info about Gary. There is a lot comimg in now and i have almost a complete record of his career. Will post tribute web page later.

All the best to you all for the new season. Gary. :D

The meeting definitely wasn't called off. It ended Wolves 40 Oxford 38. Reports in Speedway Star said he was killed instantly.

Correction to this post/ The score was Wolves 38 Oxford 39. The second half was abandoned.

Gary,

I have a few press cuttings and match reports from Gary Peterson's career. If you would like me to scan them for you either PM me or send me an e-mail.

I think the reason for carring on is that when the crowd are informed of a fatality there is a problem with people who are upset becoming hysterical and rushing around in shock, as happened when Chris Prime was killed at Newcastle. (see Ian Thomas' exellent wheels and deals book.)

I was at Brough on that unfortunate night. I can confirm there was no hysteria.

The crowd left in a dignified way saddened by the loss of a future star.

I agree Jack O, when Chris had his accident we were not told until after the match ended and I remember leaving the stadium along with others in a hushed silence. No hyseteria that I can remember

I agree Jack O, when Chris had his accident we were not told until after the match ended and I remember leaving the stadium along with others in a hushed silence.  No hyseteria that I can remember

I got my information from the Ian Thomas book wheels and deals, where he said telling the crowd was his biggest mistake in speedway. Some people were very upset and hysterical, not my words but Ians, i was not there.

This was around heat 10 or 12 of the scheduled 13 heats and I thought it was called off straight after, but I was only 8 at the time and maybe wrong. However this is the only Speedway meeting (thankfully) that I have been at where a rider was killed on track and seem to recall being told the meeting was cancelled.

Correction to this post/ The score was Wolves 38 Oxford 39. The second half was abandoned.

As stated, I remember the announcement that the meeting had closed.

Wolves still hand out the Gary Peterson Trophy to the rider that scores the most bonus points each season Think Ronnie Correy has held it for the last two years.

gary, any news on the memorial web page or the address yet?

fortunately at a music gig last year, i was introduced to Gary's son Richard who now lives over here in London.

When i told him i was a speedway follower, he told me who he was, and that he was interested in finding out more about his late father's career.

any information i can give him on the website and page would be very gratefully recieved and passed onto him.

With some friends, I went to the BLRC at Belle Vue (would it have been the day after Gary lost his life, Wolverhampton being on the Friday night and the BLRC on the Saturday?) and seem to remember Ole Olsen withdrawing from the meeting out of respect for Gary.

With some friends, I went to the BLRC at Belle Vue (would it have been the day after Gary lost his life, Wolverhampton being on the Friday night and the BLRC on the Saturday?) and seem to remember Ole Olsen withdrawing from the meeting out of respect for Gary.

Hi everyone-just found this site and so am a first time poster. I'm an oldie who was an Odsal regular in the late 40's ,early 50's. I just might be able to help with queries from that era.

Re Gary Peterson- in late 2001 I had a request from Ray Allen of Bradford,who was involved somehow with speedway in Bradford and was responsible for the programme. On an anniversary(I'm not sure which) Ray wrote a special tribute to Gary who was his favourite rider.He desperatley wanted to get a copy to Gary's family in NZ but every lead he followed went cold. I took it on and my trail started with our local speedway in Auckland,down to Palmerston North track, and a heap of names. Amongst them former riders such as Robin Adlington. It became a labour of love and I thoroughly enjoyed my self imposed task. I did locate Gary's mother and once she realised that I was genuine she had a few tears that someone in England who she had never heard of, cared enough about her late son to go to all this trouble. I sent Ray her address and he made contact and she rang me back in due course after she received the tribute.

So Gary Stanworth-you have probably finished your project by now.I just thought you would enjoy the story and you may be aware of Ray Allen-he ran the bradford site www.tibspeedway.co.uk (I think) which appears to have closed but there is a link to Ray.Maybe you can compare notes. I never knew GaryP. but what a guy he must have been to leave such a lasting impression.

while I'm writing-I have a lot of speedway memories- I earned pocket money in the late 40's cleaning the leathers and sometimes his bike,of Norman Hargreaves, then Fleetwood flyers capt, who was a neighbour and family friend. I see a photo of George Newton on this site. George was a mate of Norman's and visited often.I still have badges from a few clubs and lots of photos.

Stop talking Bill !! Cheers.

I was at Brough on that unfortunate night. I can confirm there was no hysteria.

The crowd left in a dignified way saddened by the loss of a future star.

Just some other thoughts on Chris Prime, he and Kenny Carter started as reserves

that season. I may be wrong but as I remember it was a simple fall where you

would expect the rider to get up, not sadly in this case. I do not remember a high

speed crash. I don't think it was Ian Thomas rather announcer Barry Wallace that

made the announcement that we should all leave the stadium.

Gary Peterson was a popular rider on Tyneside. We could see the talent there.

Can anyone tell me if Rob Adlington is the same rider who tried out at Canterbury sometime in the late 70,s only to have a very nasty accident at aLydden grasstrack, which caused him to sustain a nasty head injury ? This may be a different rider, but would like to know what happened to the afore mentioned as I remember he was about 6 feet 5 inches tall like Arthur Browning! He was also very promising as arider!