British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
arnieg

Reading Museum - Speedway Exhibition

Reading Speedway Memorabilia Wanted

20-02-2007

READING Speedway historians are urging supporters to search through their attics for any old Reading Speedway memorabilia they may have.

In celebration of the Club’s proud history we have teamed up with the Museum of Reading, who have given us the opportunity to have a display there from 30th July – 5th November.

The planned exhibition of Reading Speedway memorabilia will take the form of: Speedway Past, Speedway Present and Speedway Future. Also part of the celebration of the Club’s history will see the staging of a Speedway Fun Day at the Museum on a Saturday in September. We will issue more details about this in due course.

So we are now on the lookout for Reading Speedway memorabilia to fill the display. If you have, or know of anyone who may have items that you think would be suitable and of interest, you are urged to contact the Bulldogs Press Officer Andy Povey personally, or by email on andyp@readingbulldogs.com

Any persons lending items to the museum for the purpose of this exhibition will be given a receipt and your items will then be returned to you in the condition they were received after the exhibition’s finish on 5th November 2007.

The type of things we are looking for are: newspaper cuttings, old race jackets, race suits, programmes, racing equipment (goggles, boots, parts of a bike etc), metal badges, pennants, photographs, or just about any Reading Speedway related memorabilia you think would be suitable. We would be particularly interested in anything from the old Tilehurst Stadium era (1968-1973) – Maybe someone has the old Tilehurst Stadium starting tapes or a copy of the first-ever meeting programme tucked away in their attic!!

Sounds interesting - just hope they get a photo of Dickie May winning the Golden Helmet :wink:

Edited by arnieg

That will be interesting. I don't have much stuff myself, but I hope you get some good pictures of the Tilehurst Stadium. It closed down before I started going to speedway, but I sometimes goe to a kids play area which is right next to where the stadiun used to be and I'd be fascinated to see how it looked.

Speedway Fun Day? What on Earth is that?