British Speedway Forum
norbold

Pre-war Riders Still Alive

In the Archie Windmill thread, Knowle said: "He [Archie Windmill] was also one of the rapidly disappearing band of survivors who raced before the war."

It would be interesting to know how many there are and who. I can think of Jack Ormston (winner of the first London Riders' Championship back in 1930 - 77 years ago!), Gordon Byers and Vic Duggan. Any more?

Riskit Riley was still alive last year. He rode in the late 20s, so he must be one of the oldest living riders, if not the oldest.

You could well be right there, Peter. That's certainly a name from the past all right.

Jack Ormston is 97 I think and Gordon Byers 96. Vic Duggan is 91.

You could well be right there, Peter. That's certainly a name from the past all right.

As I suggested elsewhere (!), I am certain Jimmy Squibb was a novice at Southampton in 1939. Isn't he still alive? unsure:

I hate to say it but I think that old pirate Jim Squibb passed away-I think he lived in Spain his last few years. Can anyone confirm??

As I suggested elsewhere (!), I am certain Jimmy Squibb was a novice at Southampton in 1939. Isn't he still alive? unsure:

Squibbo alas is no longer with us . Remember him as the top New Cross rider when they closed in '63 .

I remember JIm as one of the great riders of the Prov League for Exeter-also as the leader of the sit down strike at the 1963 PLRC -anybody else remember that-and the grand finale-a race between the top 4 riders to determine the overall champion.Ivan Mauger won it and I think the other three riders were George Hunter, Wayne Briggs and Jack Kitchen. Does that sound right to the others in Speedway Forumland??

I remember JIm as one of the great riders of the Prov League for Exeter-also as the leader of the sit down strike at the 1963 PLRC -anybody else remember that-and the grand finale-a race between the top 4 riders to determine the overall champion.Ivan Mauger won it and I think the other three riders were George Hunter, Wayne Briggs and Jack Kitchen. Does that sound right to the others in Speedway Forumland??

That all sounds fairly right to me, except that I remember Jimmy riding for Plymouth rather than Exeter.

Oh yes - the famous "sit-down strike"! This was over a new heat formula which had been devised by none other than Speedway Star's Eric Linden.

I think that Mauger won the run-off after George Hunter's bike packed up while leading.

I agree with you Norbold. "Our" rider Gordon Byers is second to Jack Ormston. Gordon won the first ever race at Brough Park way back on 17th May 2009

Edited by dantodan

Pre-War Hackney rider, Jack Tidbury, is still going strong...

Pre-War Hackney rider, Jack Tidbury, is still going strong...

I remember Jack and his brother Ken. In the early post-war years Ken rode for West Ham, Birmingham, Eastbourne and Hastings, and also for England in two test series in South Africa in late 1940s and early 1950s.

I don't - but could be wrong - remember Jack riding post-war. He may have been briefly also at Birmingham, possibly Middlesbrough. Not sure. I remember his name came up quite frequently though in 1946 and 1947.

Edited by speedyguy

I thought it was 1929????????????????/

Cheers

Yes slipped up there! Gordon will be 98 in 2009 so I dont think he will be winning any races in 2009.

He did win the very first race at Brough Park in a time of around 97 seconds. Not many tracks who operated pre war, can say they have the guy who won their first ever races still around

Yes slipped up there! Gordon will be 98 in 2009 so I dont think he will be winning any races in 2009.

He did win the very first race at Brough Park in a time of around 97 seconds.  Not many tracks who operated pre war, can say they have the guy who won their first ever races still around

Methinks some one over in Britain should be going to see these lads with a tape recorder and getting their life sories down. I am trying to get ingfo on old Canadian riders. Sadly all are gone and info is scarce.

Tiger Tom....

I did conduct a long distance interview over the phone with Gordon Byers which was published in VSM, Spring 2006. Vic Duggan was interviewed by John Chaplin and a more in depth article was published in VSM, Winter 2001. I don't think Jack Ormston is well enough to give interviews.

But you're right - in depth interviews with tape recorder in hand are what are needed.

Edited by norbold