British Speedway Forum
norbold

Pre-war Riders Still Alive

Methinks some one over in Britain should be going to see these lads with a tape recorder and getting their life sories down. I am trying to get ingfo on old Canadian riders. Sadly all are gone and info is scarce.

Tiger Tom....

Hi Tom,

I have a couple of photos of Canadian pre war rider George Pepper on my website. He rode for Newcastle 1938 and 39

Hi Tom,

I have a couple of photos of Canadian pre war rider George Pepper on my website.  He rode for Newcastle 1938 and 39

And also in war-time (1940) at Glasgow. Possibly, I've not checked, at Belle Vue?

And also in war-time (1940) at Glasgow. Possibly, I've not checked, at Belle Vue?

has anyone got any pictures of George Pepper??

Guest Donsking
Methinks some one over in Britain should be going to see these lads with a tape recorder and getting their life sories down. I am trying to get ingfo on old Canadian riders. Sadly all are gone and info is scarce.

Tiger Tom....

Actually, this is a very good point; for some time now, I've been working on producing a TV project about a London landmark that is about to disappear, in which a family member was to be a major contributor because he was heavily involved in the running of the place.

I got so caught up in the vagiaries of trying to get a telly programme to air, I let the groundwork slip, and now he's got cancer of the larynx and can't talk to me.

I've spent a large part of my life in broadcasting, with a list of people I'd like to interview; every year, that list gets shorter and all those memories and anecdotes are lost forever.

To all the people with better contacts and better questions than me, grab the opportunity now and save the early history of our sport as told by the horse's mouth; it could be gone tomorrow.

1963 PLRC Final was contested by Ivan Mauger, Jack Kitchen, Ross Gilbertson and George Hunter. 2 Scots, a Kiwi and an Englishman.

Belated reply to Ian-indeed Jim Squibb did ride for Plymouth but when Plymouth closed he went to Exeter-rode in the PL for them and when BL started in 65 was still riding for Falcons and I think thru 68 for them. To Tiger Tom :re Canuck riders has Jimmy Gibb passed away then? Also I was interested to read that Eric Chtty ended up in Willowdale which is just down the road from me-see ya at Paris Tom!! Re Jim Henry's post wasn't one of the riders in 63 PL Final race leading when his engine packed up thereby giving it to Ivan. Can't remember whether it was Jack Kitchen or George Hunter tho' think it was the latter. Anyway when the smoke cleared i think Wayne Briggs was runner up

Further to my previous post don't think Ross Gilbertson was in Final race of PLRC 1963-I thought final line up was Briggs,Mauger,Kitcchen and Hunter. Anybody confirm this!!

J.H. is correct....Hunter, Gilbertson, Mauger, Kitchen. lined up in that order at the tapes. Ross Gilbertson was third.

Their photo is featured on the front of the 1964 PLRC programme.

Wayne Briggs was in the 1962 PLRC final ...Runner up.

Edited by Nigel