British Speedway Forum

Poor pre-meeting entertainment, poor track and poor racing - why would anyone want to attend?

Poor pre-meeting entertainment, poor track and poor racing - why would anyone want to attend?

The faint chance a British rider will win :D

Or is it the cry of "I'm only here for the beer" B)

I cant believe this but I just googled the lyrics and was about to cut and paste them on here.

Phew - I stopped just in time.

May keep what little credibilty I have left!!! :D  :D

Sandie,

Who cares about credibility - here's the full lyrics. They don't make 'em like this any more :wink:

Snooker Loopy lyrics

CHORUS

Snooker loopy, nuts are we, me and him and them and me,

We'll show you what we can do with a load of balls and a snooker cue.

Pot the reds, then screw back, for the yellow, green, brown, blue, pink and black.

Snooker loopy, nuts are we, we're all snooker loopy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now old Meo, we all know's got loads of dapper suits,

London-bred and he keeps his head, though he's got Italian roots,

Emotional when he keeps his cool, till he reaches the final,

But whether he wins he whether he don't: (Tony Meo) "I always pipe me eyeballs."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And our man Den, hours he's spent down the snooker hall,

On the old green baize, his mates seem amazed with his skills with a snooker ball,

But them long shots he never ever got, why, the old mind boggles,

But nowadays he pots the lot: (Dennis Taylor) "'Cos I wear these goggles."

CHORUS

Now Terry the Taff was born in a gaff in the valleys of the land of song,

And as the reds he puts to bed, he likes to sing along,

"If I win," he says with a grin, "it can only help me, can't it?"

I'll celebrate and buy another eight (Terry Griffiths): "Hairbrushes for me barnet."

But old Willie Thorne, his hair's all gorn, and his mates all take the rise,

His opponent said "Cover up his head, 'cos it's shining in my eyes,"

When the light shines down on his bare crown, it's a cert he's gonna walk it,

But it's just not fair giving off that glare - (Willie Thorne): "Perhaps I ought to chalk it."

CHORUS

Steve last year come very near to winning the snooker crown,

But he never got to put it on his ginger nut 'cos the black ball wouldn't go down,

His manager and all said "S*d that ball" but it helped him make his mind up,

Now he don't care who wins next year (Steve Davis): "'Cos he's got the rest of us signed up."

CHORUS TO FADE

Edited by lucifer sam

Good company, good beer (Wetherspoons across the road from the stadium) and great atmosphere - that's why I go :wink:

Although this year, with the legendary Chas'N'Dave playing, I'll have to change my usual tactic of staying in Wetherspoons until 6.45pm :D

All the best

Rob

Rob.Seems very working mens club rather than national stadium,big sporting event type performance to me :neutral:

Rob.Seems very working mens club rather than national stadium,big sporting event type performance to me :neutral:

Iris,

Nonsense - they'll have everyone dancing down the aisles - beats Tony Hadley or Bonnie Tyler anyday :D

All the best

Rob

After months of waiting I just found out in the last few days that i can actually get to Cardiff for the GP and now i find this out today.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. :(

Mr Peasley

We have something in common ...A love of the gods that are Sir Chas and Sir Dave......I really really cannot wait now......You guys dont know entertainment you really dont.....

Hope they sing Glory Glory Tottenham Hotspur and Ossies Dream......

jaybea

PS Subedei.....the reason most people are going i presume is because you are not....Hows the anger management classes going by the way :-)

I think its all just a bit of fun and for atmosphere they will be great.

I'd have to agree.....

....well, for a few seconds I did! ! :angry:

Thanks Jaybea. :wink:

:D

Mr Peasley

We have something in common ...A love of the gods that are Sir Chas and Sir Dave......I really really cannot wait now......You guys dont know entertainment you really dont.....

jaybea

Jaybea,

Chas and Dave don't perform the Spurs songs live... it says so if you click the link that was provided on this thread. I presume at some point footie yobs from another club have had a go at them.

However, it looks like Snooker Loopy, Rabbit and the Sideboard Song (I don't care, I don't care, I don't care if he lives 'round 'ere) are amongst the songs normally played live.

All the best

Rob

I have a feeling Subedei would much rather see some of this B)

Certainly get them flocking in early :D

If i'm not mistaken this is where Reading copied their team suits from :P

Edited by iris123

Hang on--Maybe they are just playing on the concourse in the afternoon or something to keep everyone happy and add to the carnival atmosphere.--That would be  a laugh.

And another band or something will be announced  in a couple weeks for inside the stadium?? :shock:

Nope they aint playing in the afternoon on the concourse.

Just had this email back from website after making enquiries.

Hi

They are playing before speedway in stadium

Regards

Barry

And not a full stop or apostrophe in sight!!!! :neutral:

Ah well thats cleared that one up then.

Thanks anyway Barry. :)

PS Subedei.....the reason most people are going i presume is because you are not.

And I care? No, sorry.

Chas 'n' Dave? Just confirms what a large section of the population thinks of the sport and its supporters. Better off not having a pre-meeting act than Chas 'n' Dave.