British Speedway Forum
Guest bluesboyfil

what song reminds you of speedway

Rindstone cowboy by Glenn Camberley always played at Reading in the 80s/90s

• Like 1

On the basis of longevity (at Swindon)...

Sweet Home Alabama - Skynyrd

Don't Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster

and more recently (just) Ace Of Spades - Motorhead

Ahh the brilliant Ace of Spades.....terrific track to play as the riders approach the tapes...

Who? Is that a mountain in Surrey? ;)

Goodnight by the Beatlles off the white album,was played most weeks after the meeting.Was always gutted usually on a dire October night the last meeting of the season stays with me that track.

Gracie Fields 1947 hit 'Now Is The Hour' which goes on to say 'for us to say good-by' (or something like that). They played it at New Cross towards the end of the 1947 season as a tribute to 1936 world champion Lionel Van Praag then making his last British appearances for Rangers and in British speedway before going back to Australia.

The attendance that night must have been 15,000 (the average in those days) and I think most of the crowd had a tear in their eyes!

Ahh the brilliant Ace of Spades.....terrific track to play as the riders approach the tapes...

Who? Is that a mountain in Surrey? ;)

I am sure it's meant to be 'Rhinestone Cowboy' by Glen Campbell.

Edited by Guest

Gracie Fields 1947 hit 'Now Is The Hour' which goes on to say 'for us to say good-by' (or something like that). They played it at New Cross towards the end of the 1947 season as a tribute to 1936 world champion Lionel Van Praag then making his last British appearances for Rangers and in British speedway before going back to Australia.

The attendance that night must have been 15,000 (the average in those days) and I think most of the crowd had a tear in their eyes!

I am sure it's meant to be 'Rhinestone Cowboy' by Glen Campbell.

Yes - me too.

Sad that Glen Campbell is now stricken with Alzheimers Disease. :sad: :sad:

Yes - me too.

Sad that Glen Campbell is now stricken with Alzheimers Disease. :sad: :sad:

Sinatra ( my mum and dad did not like) said he was overrated Bias maybe!Who were your heroes WK ? Me dad liked Holly,Nelson,Cochran died in ( Chippenham a great loss the guy was a force would of been around for years.!

Sinatra ( my mum and dad did not like) said he was overrated Bias maybe!Who were your heroes WK ? Me dad liked Holly,Nelson,Cochran died in ( Chippenham a great loss the guy was a force would of been around for years.!

Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochrane, The 'Big' Boppa, Marty Wilde, The Everly Brothers, Dion and the Belmonts in Rock n' Roll sidney.

In Country and Western - Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Boxcar Willie, Hank Williams Jnr. and Waylon Jennings. Lots of others too. Too many to mention.

ALL the above are 'GREATS' in my book. :t::approve: :approve:

Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochrane, The 'Big' Boppa, Marty Wilde, The Everly Brothers, Dion and the Belmonts in Rock n' Roll sidney.

In Country and Western - Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Hank Snow, Boxcar Willie, Hank Williams Jnr. and Waylon Jennings. Lots of others too. Too many to mention.

Great shout WK my old chap liked Johnny Cash and raved about George Jones any good? a country singer.

How about Gene Vincent or the Louvin Brothers ?

Have you listened to Johnny Cash's 'American Recordings' produced by Rick Rubin which have had tremendous reviews over the period and treat JC with the respect he deserves..

Have often thought you deserve your own thread - to see if any of us can find an artist/song etc post 1963 that you would enjoy.. :t:

I'm sure there's someone out there..

Edited by yerropes
  • Like 1

Great shout WK my old chap liked Johnny Cash and raved about George Jones any good? a country singer.

Have you listened to Johnny Cash's 'American Recordings' produced by Rick Rubin which have had tremendous reviews over the period and treat JC with the respect he deserves..

Have often thought you deserve your own thread - to see if any of us can find an artist/song etc post 1963 that you would enjoy.. :t:

what song reminds you of speedway.

We seem to have lost our way in regard to this thread!!

Edited by Guest

what song reminds you of speedway.

We seem to have lost our way in regard to this thread!!

So it goes...(a Nick Lowe song I believe)..

Agree with Keef, Immigrant Song is another favourite at Blunsdon.

Strangely I can't ever remember Swindon's finest XTC being played though...

The Rick Rubin Recordings were EXCELLENT and demonstrated the true versatility of Johnny Cash. :t:

You will have to be going some - to find any popular music, apart from some Country and Western Music ie. Alabama, The Highwaymen (Cash, Nelson, Kristofferson, Jennings) post 1963, that does ANYTHING for me at all. :neutral:

'Wheels' - which was the Berwick Bandits theme tune - and still is after 45 years!

And doesn't that, in one sentence, sum up why the sport is dying on it's arse? A 1960's theme park.Without the interesting bits.

And doesn't that, in one sentence, sum up why the sport is dying on it's arse? A 1960's theme park.Without the interesting bits.

You're wrong. And with respect, I sometimes think you are deliberately contentious just for the sake of it. No-one is disagreeing that the sport has to move with the times, but some things are traditional, and should be preserved, often because they are part of a clubs identity. During the time of the last promotions' tenure at my own club, our 'colours' subtly changed to a grotesque neon banana-yellow and black; it is, should be, and always has been AMBER and black. Those have been Newport's sporting colours since 1912, and those are the colours Newport people identify with. So, lighten up Backless, some traditions should not be changed.

You're wrong. And with respect, I sometimes think you are deliberately contentious just for the sake of it. No-one is disagreeing that the sport has to move with the times, but some things are traditional, and should be preserved, often because they are part of a clubs identity. During the time of the last promotions' tenure at my own club, our 'colours' subtly changed to a grotesque neon banana-yellow and black; it is, should be, and always has been AMBER and black. Those have been Newport's sporting colours since 1912, and those are the colours Newport people identify with. So, lighten up Backless, some traditions should not be changed.

Good Post.

Personally I think they should go back to traditional Racejackets. They could wear the Kevlars underneath. My Team, Newcastle have the MOST insipid looking Diamond that you have ever seen in your life on the front of the Kevlars - I yearn for the days of the big WHITE Diamond on a BLACK background. Chris Schramm is actually wearing one of those Racejackets at present - at least he looks like a PROPER Speedway Rider.

Yet another way that we, the Supporters, have been messed about - even the Team identity is not sacrosanct.