British Speedway Forum
daveoo

Bluey Wilkinson

Can someone give me the following information on Bluey Wilkinson

1.... What was the date of his first arrival in UK?

2.... What ship did he travel on, port and date of arrival?

3.... Where and when was the first meeting he rode in?

I think Dr Brian Belton, the author, can help you here. :unsure:

I think Dr Brian Belton, the author, can help you here. :unsure:

Thanks Speedy I think that is the chap who has written a book on Bluey. I will try to have a look at the book in one of our book shops, but the details I am after may not be in the book.

Thanks Speedy I think that is the chap who has written a book on Bluey. I will try to have a look at the book in one of our book shops, but the details I am after may not be in the book.

Try by registering to this excellent history site. I am sure you will get the needed answers:

http://speedwayhistory.proboards67.com/index.cgi

Assuming you mean 1st meeting in GB then it was 2nd of may 1929 his first ride was a match race on a douglas and he was unplaced! later in the meeting he beat Reg Bounds in a heat of the golden Gauntlet in 37.19MPH

Just out of Interest yesterday I was looking at his "Adelaide" bike the one he rode at Wayville in the late 20s-30s A dirt track TT Duggie .

Its parked next to Fay Talours Duggie in the Birdwood Motor Museum here in South Australia!

Edited by spiderweb

Assuming you mean 1st meeting in GB then it was 2nd of may 1929 his first ride was a match race on a douglas and he was unplaced! later in the meeting he beat Reg Bounds in a heat of the golden Gauntlet in 37.19MPH

Hello CHK

That's interesting to know, can this be proved beyond a doubt, such at a scan of the programme, newspaper cutting of results that's the sort of evidence I need to be convinced. It would much appreciated if you can help me with this. I look forward to hearing from you.

Many Thanks

Dave

Are you sure about that, Ray? Because there is evidence to suggest that Bluey was still in Australia in June 1929. As Dave says, documentary evidence would be very helpful and important.

Are you sure about that, Ray? Because there is evidence to suggest that Bluey was still in Australia in June 1929. As Dave says, documentary evidence would be very helpful and important.

Johnnie Hoskins!!!

The history of the 'Hammers' season 1928-39

Paragraph

"On may 2nd 1929, Bluey Wilkinson made his 1st appearnce riding a douglas. He rode off 5secs.. Handicap and was unplaced in his heat. later in the evening Bluey won a heat of the Golden Gauntlet at 37.19 m.p.h with reg Bounds second. He was beaten by Vic huxley in the semi, which was won at 39.96 m.p.h. Bluey was in the team one week and out the next. Tiger, however, rode consistantly well and except for accidents never missed a match."

:rolleyes: Perhaps Jonnie may have been wrong it is not unheard of :o !

Edited by Custom House Kid

Thanks Ray, but, as you say, Johnnie Hoskins is not the most reliable source!

I'll try and check this next time I'm at the Newspaper library.

Just out of Interest yesterday I was looking at  his "Adelaide" bike  the one he rode at Wayville in the late 20s-30s A dirt track TT Duggie .

Its parked next to Fay Talours Duggie in the Birdwood Motor Museum here in South Australia!

Hello Spider

Good to hear that the old bikes are being well preserved, is the Birdwood Motor Museum in Murray Bridge, is there a website for the museum?

Thanks Ray, but, as you say, Johnnie Hoskins is not the most reliable source!

I'll try and check this next time I'm at the Newspaper library.

Ok Norman !

If i wasn't so busy myself I would try another source, if I get time i will see what I can come up with and post my findings!

Dont hold your breath :wink:

Ray

Edited by Custom House Kid

Norman is correct. If absolute proof Bluey was in England in May of 1929 can be produced, I'd be most surprised. I have found him racing in New South Wales in Australia in June of 1929 (and I have written about that in the past). People constantly tell me I am wrong and that he arrived in England in May BECAUSE JOHNNIE HOSKINS SAID SO. What Johnnie Hoskins said or wrote about pre-war speedway should not be taken as gospel as his track record is abysmal.

I also now have in my possession an interview Bluey gave in 1930 in which he makes some very interesting revelations. A date is given in that interview on the subject of when he did arrive in England in 1929 (and it is NOT in May and he didn't arrive alone), but I suspect Bluey's memory either failed him or he was misreported. The date given is that of what I consider was his first racing appearance in England. If he did arrive on the date given, he rode that same night, something which I doubt would have happened.

Norman is correct. If absolute proof Bluey was in England in May of 1929 can be produced, I'd be most surprised. I have found him racing in New South Wales in Australia in June of 1929 (and I have written about that in the past). People constantly tell me I am wrong and that he arrived in England in May BECAUSE JOHNNIE HOSKINS SAID SO. What Johnnie Hoskins said or wrote about pre-war speedway should not be taken as gospel as his track record is abysmal.

I also now have in my possession an interview Bluey gave in 1930 in which he makes some very interesting revelations.  A date is given in that interview on the subject of when he did arrive in England in 1929 (and it is NOT in May and he didn't arrive alone), but I suspect Bluey's memory either failed him or he was misreported. The date given is that of what I consider was his first racing appearance in England.  If he did arrive on the date given, he rode that same night, something which I doubt would have happened.

Has any of this ever been checked for accuracy against the book on Bluey by Dr Brian Belton? :rolleyes:

Has any of this ever been checked for accuracy against the book on Bluey by Dr Brian Belton? :rolleyes:

I have yet to check my book store to see if his arrival in 1929 is mentioned.

Does anyone reading this have the book and could do us a favour by doing a check and posting back hear please