British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ZKZ Kitten

Polish Ekstraliga 6th May

Alright then.. I'm exhausted, my throat is suffering, my room is covered by conffeti and I'm very upset after this disgraceful defeat but.. a short report for my British mates who have to put up with their boring BEL matches on Sky and cannot normally take part in such a great event like a trip behind the enemy lines - to the derby match.

The departure from Bydgoszcz was fixed at 15.30. I arrived to the Polonia stadium around 15.00 and almost everyone had already been there! It was one hundred of us going by two coaches (not very amazing actually but many went by cars too). Police vans arrived a few minutes later, we formed a convoy and set off to Torun. Of course the atmosphere on board was great. Beer, vodka and songs - polite and those less polite ones :wink: Our driver was cool and we were singing all the time. Normally it's about 40 mins to Torun but it took us over one hour because of piss-stops :P

After a loud arrival to the village we had to wait quite long until riot police set their formations and let us in. Traditionally there were some problems with smuggling flares etc. but thanks to some connections (there are some decent people in Torun) we managed to bring all the stuff to the cage. Eventually there were about 500 fans from Bydgoszcz (in the cage). And I must admit we were quite loud too. Definitely louder than guys from Torun - at least at the beginning. Time left to the meeting went by quickly and everybody seemed to be more excited than at GP.

During the teams' presentation we did our usual show - flares, confetti, special banners, songs etc. It went quite well I think. Unfortunately, our riders were not as good as their fans and they were losing heat by heat.. Bydgoszcz riders miles behind rivals was a horrible view but of course we kept supporting. And local fans from neighbouring areas kept booing at us so the party was on :wink: At this point I must admit that Torun Net Fans made some pretty amazing shows using flares, smoke bombs, balloons and other stuff. However, they were at home so they had some 'priviliges'. They were better than us but I was still quite proud of our handful of people in the small cage. In the end we were not that loud as Polonia were rubbish and even the greatest fanatics lost their will to anything.

As usually at the derby, there were some unpleasant incidends as well. Some bottles from here and there but it wasn't a big deal actually. However, when some riot guards pacified a few Torun blokes who came up to the cage, a massive crowd of local hools started running to us in the safety strip (between the track and seats). And it looked quite scary for a moment, being honest. Fortunately, the "white helmets" did their job and chased hools away. Later on they beat a few others who had been provoking near the cage. After the match it was a bit like in Zielona Gora last time. Lots of idiots went wild and started running around the track and towards us. But once again security guards reacted properly and beat lots of them up. Anyway, it was a huge mess and the Torun club should be fined, especially for that first situation which interrupted the meeting. The security agency that covered this meeting is based in Bydgoszcz so I guess those boys had some fun chasing Torun hools :wink:

Actually, all these actions were a bit like an extra boost of adrenalin as the match was boring (you know, gate and then the inside only...) and Polonia were simply hammered. There's no bigger disgrace for Bydgoszcz fans than losing against Torun in such a poor way. The team can lose almost everything in a season but if they win in Torun they are always forgiven. But today we lost everything (only the last heat 4:2 after Zagar's ef) and we had to leave the stadium ashamed...

Of course the journey back to Bydgoszcz wasn't that funny :P After the match we had to wait a really long time in the cage until every bad boy in Torun went to bed and people were simply very tired. Anyway, the trip in itself was successful, nobody got harmed and the atmosphere (especially at the beginning) was just great. Can't wait next year.

I took some pictures and made some videos to show this atmosphere, at least a bit. The videos needs encoding so it will be done tomorrow. The photos have been already uploaded onto my Webshots:

Torun v Bydgoszcz, 6th May 2007 - photos

Got a train to Poznan tomorrow (well, today actually) at 6.30, need to wake up at 5 am... Highest time to have some sleep!

Edited by Mateusz

And yet another top name beaten by Kevin Wölbert yesterday

Gollob! :P

Well done maximum man!!!! :D

Ok,it was only Jacek......

Mateusz - thanks for shwing those with us - as per usual in Poland it looked a fantastic atmosphere. Just a shame it was not the desired result that all from Bydgoszcz were looking for - better look for next time.

In the UK we can only dream of that level of support & passion.

[...]Anyway, the trip in itself was successful, nobody got harmed and the atmosphere (especially at the beginning) was just great. Can't wait next year.

[...]

And now a big adventure incoming...and so we...

EUROPEAN GRAND PRIX - WROCLAW - GP programme:

Friday - May 11th - pre-main event - Wroclaw`s The Old Square [as usually Spiz, or PRL or Giunness] - with old English friends;

May 12TH 2007 - The Olympic Stadium - EGP -main event - with old English friends

Sat/Sun night - Wroclaw`s The Old Square - Semifinals and Final - with old English firiends :)

And Scottish friends of course! Let's just say British then :)

Po pierwsze to wtopiles na maksa, a po drugie to popieprzyles temat, tak na marginesie :P

Edited by Mateusz

And now a big adventure incoming...and so we...

EUROPEAN GRAND PRIX - WROCLAW - GP programme:

Friday - May 11th - pre-main event - Wroclaw`s The Old Square [as usually Spiz, or PRL or Giunness] - with old English friends;

May 12TH 2007 - The Olympic Stadium - EGP -main event - with old English friends

Sat/Sun night - Wroclaw`s The Old Square - Semifinals and Final - with old English firiends :)

Are you not planning on meeting up with myself and HenryW ?

Rico :rolleyes:

Hehe, posted in the same minute :)

I've called you both English once. Remember your face when I said 'English friends' :unsure: and since that I've been more than sure I'll never do this faux pas again :rolleyes:

Thanks alot Mateusz for a well written diary on your tour to Torun!

Thanks alot for the pics and videos

Brilliant!

Are you not planning on meeting up with myself and HenryW ?

Rico  :rolleyes:

Of course I am - maybe I used wrong expression...sorry [poor Eglishman I am :)], but I meant about spending this time at Wroclaw with You guys

Guest PanthersChamp06

Asking as a long shot here, but ill try anyway :)

Does anyone have a link or something to say what all the starting averages were in Poland please?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Cheers

Kieran

Asking as a long shot here, but ill try anyway :)

Presuming that the starting averages were the same as the finishing averages from last season, here's all the statistics for the 2006 season:

http://www.sportowefakty.pl/index.php?dysc...&news_id=192132

Just click on the league you want. It begins with league tables and meeting results, then goes onto averages.

Guest PanthersChamp06

Thank you very much Sub, much appreciated :D