British Speedway Forum
Trackman

History Of Speedway.........

It's been drawn to my attention that the 2nd mtg @ High Beech was on Sat 7th April, whereas on 9th April two meetings were held, one in morning & another in evening !.

So which of these meetings do you consider to be the real thing ?

This is all getting interesting as we approach the 2008 80th anniversary of High Beech.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Edited by speedyguy

It's been drawn to my attention that the 2nd mtg @ High Beech was on Sat 7th April, whereas on 9th April two meetings were held, one in morning & another in evening !.

So which of these meetings do you consider to be the real thing ?

Yes, the programme for sale on eBay is very interesting. I have never seen a report of a meeting on 7 April 1928 before. I shall investigate further and let you know....

Yes, the programme for sale on eBay is very interesting. I have never seen a report of a meeting on 7 April 1928 before. I shall investigate further and let you know....

Norbold, the only mention I have seen of the 7 April meeting was in "Motor Cycling" dated 11 April 1928. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of that report, but I kept the following details:

Easter Saturday 7.4.28 King's Oak, High Beech

Meeting no.2. Track re-designed.

250cc N Anderson (Dunelt), A.N Other (New Imperial)

350cc Gus Kuhn (Calthorpe), B Bragg (Coventry Eagle), Colin Watson (New Imperial)

500cc Colin Watson, Reg F Pointer (Ariel), Jimmy Stevens (Norton)

Sidecars S O Fraser (OK-Supreme)

There is no mention of this meeting in "The Motor Cycle", "Speedway News", or "Auto"

The winner of the eBay auction for the programme may be able to tell us more if the results are filled in, but that won't be me, as I expect it to get a bit too pricey!

The winner of the eBay auction for the programme may be able to tell us more if the results are filled in, but that won't be me, as I expect it to get a bit too pricey!

Oh go on Brian,be a devil. :P

Oh go on Brian,be a devil. :P

Well, all contributions are welcome, iris123, even Euros ...

Is there a link to this programme?I have looked through about 10 pages of ebay and found nowt :(

Thats cos it was listed as 1926 in error!

http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.dll...+programme+1926

Get your bid in now ...

Thanks.Looks like a certain member of this forum is currently highest bidder.My worry is the seller is absolutely new and would the programme be kosher :unsure:

I thought there are a fair number of fakes in this sort of area.Badges and programmes? :unsure:

Edited by iris123

Norbold, the only mention I have seen of the 7 April meeting was in "Motor Cycling" dated 11 April 1928. Unfortunately I don't have a copy of that report, but I kept the following details:

Easter Saturday 7.4.28 King's Oak, High Beech

Meeting no.2. Track re-designed.

250cc N Anderson (Dunelt), A.N Other (New Imperial)

350cc Gus Kuhn (Calthorpe), B Bragg (Coventry Eagle), Colin Watson (New Imperial)

500cc Colin Watson, Reg F Pointer (Ariel), Jimmy Stevens (Norton)

Sidecars S O Fraser (OK-Supreme)

There is no mention of this meeting in "The Motor Cycle", "Speedway News", or "Auto"

Oh well, I'm off to Colindale tomorrow...

Do you need a lift..?!! ;)

No, thanks, it's ok, really, I can make my own there, thanks for asking...

Phew! Bit of a narrow escape there. :wink:

Thanks.Looks like a certain member of this forum is currently highest bidder.

Not any more... :sad:

My worry is the seller is absolutely new and would the programme be kosher :unsure:

Hmm, that's a point. Also strange comment that the prog. is said to be in such good condition because" ..it has been stored in an air -tight container for 80 years". :o

Seems strange that somebody would've kept something so 'throwaway' at the time (one reason why quite possibly this is one of just a handful surviving..) in such perfect storage conditions from day one and for so long..??!! :o

The price isn't soaring yet but surely it is going to fetch a packet..!!?

BTW, the reason High Beech produces nothing on a search is it's listed under King's Oak... :neutral:

Norman, I have just checked my fixture list for 1928 .............and it says a meeting was held on the 7th April and two on the 9th April (morning and afternoon).

I have only recently obtained this list and have not examined them closely until this thread brought things to my attention!

Edited by Nigel

Right, this is the story from Colindale.

Auto does not mention either meeting.

Motor Cycling reports on the meeting on the 7 April; but not the two on 9 April

Motor Cycle reports on the two meetings on 9 April but not on 7 April.

The local papers, West Essex Gazette and Loughton Advertiser, both report the meetings on 9 April but not the meeting on 7 April. However, there is a line in the Loughton Advertiser report which says that the meeting on 9 April was the third meeting held at High Beech, which indicates there was a meeting on 7 April.

So, I think we can safely say there was a meeting on 7 April; but it seems strange that only Motor Cycling reported it.

Also, in the course of this investigation, I came across the report on the meeting at Greenford held on 7 April as well, also in Motor Cycling. I could be persuaded that, in fact, this was the first "real" speedway meeting in this country. There is an accompanying photograph which shows two riders, one of whom is Billy Galloway, the other unnamed, with their feet on the track cornering. Curiously, Galloway appears to have a foot forward style. (The other is leg trailing).