British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jim Blanchard

Peter Craven

Guest Jim Blanchard

Received my copy of the Vintage speedway mag this morning. They reproduce an interview with George Hunter that he gave in 1998.

Now, a voice from the grave says “Belle Vue gave us 10 yard start that night because it was a challenge match. It was a tragedy because Peter Craven was a brilliant rider and I remember seeing him win his first world final on black and white television”.

Where did the 10 yard start come from? No one has mentioned that at all to my knowledge in the past.

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Guest Steve Dixon

I find this really odd, Iv'e read lots of stuff about this fateful night, some say there was a handicap on the Aces riders and some say otherwise.

One in particular(cannot remember what) said the only race handicapped was the race itself.

Surely someone was there who reads this forum??

I find this really odd, Iv'e read lots of stuff about this fateful night, some say there was a handicap on the Aces riders and some say otherwise.

One in particular(cannot remember what) said the only race handicapped was the race itself.

I wasn't there, but i do have a filled in programme, and there is no indication from the handwriting of any handicap being used.

Edited by Topcat

I wasn't there but have read many reports, have the marked programme and this thing about a handicap doesn't ring true. I think George made a dream gate, these things happen, whilst Peter missed out for once. This was the way I feel it happened. The mere fact that people talk about 10 or 20 yards as the distance concerned sows seeds of doubt :neutral:

Hi Jim, we have spoken about this in the past on your old web site, i was there that night on the bend etc. I did say peter was on a handicap Mr hoskins asked him if he would go of it, as the people wanted to see how it was done, and he agreed to do it, you dissagreed and dismissed my account of the race. As i said to you then i will never forget, what i witnessed and heard that sad evening.

If you go onto scran.co.uk put speedway in the search, look through the pics, you will see 1 of the last pics taken of peter with Ian Hoskins and the boxer Walter McGowan in the pits at old meadowbank.

I wasn't there but have read many reports, have the marked programme and this thing about a handicap doesn't ring true. I think George made a dream gate, these things happen, whilst Peter missed out for once. This was the way I feel it happened. The mere fact that people talk about 10 or 20 yards as the distance concerned sows seeds of doubt :neutral:

Star Ghost,

The handicapping system was brought in to address the imbalance of standards in the League if I remmebre correctly.

There were 5 riders who were head and shoulders above everyone else: Ove Fundin, Peter Crave, Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs and Bjorn Knutsson and weer allocated 20 yard handicaps.

The next grade were the run of the mill heat leaders and 2nd strings who were to start on 10 yards. The reserves were on scratch.

Regards

Brian

As a Norwich supporter of the time I am sure star ghost knows this only too well! :wink:

How old would have Peter Craven been now?

Yes Brian you are right about the handicap system

To this must be added

A reserve (Number 7) with an average of less than 1.00 per race was given an extra 10 yards start over every other rider.

This average was for home matches for the rider to get the start at home.

Away reserves had to have an average of less than 1.00 per race away to get this start at away matches