British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Old Characters From 50's Early 60's

I recall Harry Edwards riding for Wolves in 1964 I think-last year of Prov League-was he related to Bert Edwards of Ipswich fame of a few years earlier who had a regular column in Speedway Star in the mid fifties. Are these guys till around. Harry looked awful old to me in 1964 and was a veteran then-I think he'd been thru a lot in the war perhaps.Are either of these two guys still around.

Harry and Bert were brothers. Harry was born in 1923 and was a post War Rye House discovery after spending four years in a Japanese pow camp. He later went on to ride for Walthamstow and Norwich.

I don't think either of them are still around, but I'm sure star ghost will know for sure.

I'm pretty sure that i read that Bert Edwards is still about. In his 80's i believe.

Yes, you're right, frigbo. Bert is still around and living in Watlington, Oxford. Sorry about that. (About the fact I said he wasn't around that is, not the fact he is...er...I'll stop digging now.)

Sadly Harry is no longer with us. He started at Rye House after returning from a P O W camp and joined Walthamstow when they opened in the second division. Bert was also at Walthamstow at this time. Bert went on to ride for Cardiff, Aldershot and Ipswich, where he became a top man in the Witches team. Harry went on to ride for Belle Vue and then came to Norwich in a deal which took Fred Rogers to the Aces. Fred had retired to concentrate on the family business in Sheffield but Hoskins talked him into helping out for the Aces. Norwich insisted on a rider as replacement and we got Harry. He became a regular in the Stars team where he regularly partnered Billy Bales. Harry moved on to ride P L for Rayleigh and Leicester and I think he also rode for Wolverhampton at some time.

The last I heard about Harry was that he was lost overboard on a fishing trip but have never had confirmation of this anywhere.

Bert still attends the Ipswich Reunions from time to time.

There was also another Bert Edwards who rode at Belle Vue as one of the "Bubble Bouncers" but he was no relation to the riders mentioned.

Edited by star ghost

Was Bert older than Harry or vice versa-thanx for all the feedback-when I read of Harry being a POW it reminded me of Howdy Byford's experience. He wrote a v. interesting series of articles in Speedway Star in I guess the late fifties about his captivity.

I think Bert was the oldest

Another oldtimer who was a longtime P O W was Len Read, who took up Speedway on his return and rode for Norwich, Plymouth and Liverpool. He still lives in Norwich and I see him from time to time

Was Bert older than Harry or vice versa-thanx for all the feedback-when I read of Harry being a POW it reminded me of Howdy Byford's experience. He wrote a v. interesting series of articles in Speedway Star in I guess the late fifties about his captivity.

Hi Bobbath again,

I recall reading Howdy Byford's war experiences in the Star as well (He rode g=for the Cheetahs) and if I recall correctly the article said that he nearly got shot but for a twig jamming the trigger of an enemy rifle.

Have i got the right article?

Best wishes

Brian

Got it right Brian thats my recollection too-I think Howdy was born in1919-which means he was still riding in his mid 40's I think he was riding for Hackney in first year BL in 65

Got it right Brian thats my recollection too-I think Howdy was born in1919-which means he was still riding in his mid 40's I think he was riding for Hackney in first year BL in 65

Bobbiath, He was riding for Oxford in 1961/62 and he always looked older than 40 but what a bubbly charachter?

He had apile up with Genno one Good Friday at Cowley and he broke his thumb.

Brian

Harry Edwards rode for the following teams

Walthamstow - 1949, 1950, 1951

Belle Vue - 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955 (early season only)

Norwich - 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960

Rayleigh - 1961 - 1963

Leicester - 1962

Wolverhampton - 1964

Bert Edwards rode for

Walthamstow - 1950

Aldershot - 1951, 1952 (early season)

Cardiff - 1952, 1953 (early season)

Ipswich - 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1958

Neither ever rode in a World Final but Bert had a number of appearances in Test matches for England where he usually scored his fair share of points

Leicester - 1962....

Is that all - just the one season? I didn't realise that as he is one of the riders I remember from the old Hunters days.

I have an old black/white photo of Harry with a battered old van and his speedway bike, taken en route somewhere. Must have been when he was riding for Leicester so I'll have to look for it in my 1962 album.

Edited by Gemini

Is that all - just the one season?  I didn't realise that as he is one of the riders I remember from the old Hunters days.

I have an old black/white photo of Harry with a battered old van and his speedway bike, taken en route somewhere.  Must have been when he was riding for Leicester so I'll have to look for it in my 1962 album.

Its just come back to me know, did he always look as though he had a crewcut hairstyle?

Harry had very little hair - only a few whispy strands, just about hanging on to him.

Stan Buxton, the Norwich announcer, used to refer to Harry as "never being alone with a strand" as a popular advert of the day used this phrase to advertise Strand Fags.