British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Ivor Brown And Cradley Heath

Cradley Heath was my favorite place to visit(this is in the era 1964-68)-there was a pub just across the way from the track where everyone went after a meeting-does anybody remember the name??. The home supporters were always very welcoming and I loved going there.As regards Ivor Brown how old was he when he passed away??. Didn't he marry a girl from Newport??. Also does anyone know what happened to other PL CH riders e.g. George Major, Eric Hockaday , John Edwards??As regards John- in 1967 I lodged at a house(I think the address was 20 New Century Road, Laindon Essex) where he had rented when he rode for Stoke/CH. According to the landlady- whose name I forget -he had moved to USA .Anyway for all CH fans out there for what its worth I feel it was a goddam shame when that track closed and I still have wonderful memories of the place

Hi Bobbath; The pub you are on about was and still is "The Victoria" there is a Planning Application being drawn up at the present time to be submitted soon, try visiting this web site most of the info you want is on there.

http://www.cradleyspeedway.co.uk/

Edited by greyhoundp

Thanx mate--great site.Hope they come back some day P.S. Great roast pork sandwiches served at the stadium.

Has that house across the road fell down yet? :lol:

I also used to love going to Cradley and sitting on that little wall to watch the racing - think it was near the 4th bend. Mind you we always used to get lost somewhere along the way from Leicester to Cradley. I reckon there must have been lots of different ways to get to the track and we used them all at some point. :wink:

Nice to read that fans still have fond memories of visiting Dudley Wood. :approve:

As for our return...well fingers crossed.

Latest news here and here.

Went to CH website-which was excellent. Amazed to see that Ivor Brown was born in 1927-which would mean he was 38 in inaugural year of BL.I think that is just great when you recall how well he was riding. Much missed.

Has that house across the road fell down yet?

Gemini; i think it probably has, next time i go past i will have a look, i choose not to go that way to often, as it still hurts to see those dammed houses there, that is what people don,t realise about about a lot of Cradley fans, to many of us it was a way of life "Dudley Wood on a Saturday night" not much else to do in Craadley, and to lose it after 35+ years of going there,was gut wrenching.

But maybe when we have a new track it will be more bearable. :wink:

I know how you feel. :sad:

Houses were built on the site of the Leicester Stadium as well and I try to keep away from the area.

I feel much the same about the housing estate covering the old Firs Stadium here in Norwich. Its 43 years ago now since they tore down the Firs but the "Firs Pub" opposite is still standing.

Edited by star ghost

Houses have also been built where Somerton Park was in Newport, but I couldn't resist taking a look last time I was over-but wish I hadn't.

The worst place for this is Hackney, because you know there could have been - and still could be - a track there... :sad: