British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Custom House Kid

Poor World Team Cup !

Much Better Meeting tonight :D Mind you the winners were a little too far ahead :) But i must not be over critical must I :approve:

I thought the Russians rode really well tonight and all the nations played there part :approve:

Still critical of the amount in the crowd :!: :-(( More in the pits)

I dont think the SWC will go back to Denmark for a While :!:

I dont think the SWC will go back to Denmark for a While :!:

Rumour has it, it's back in the UK next year. :approve:

We are the only ones mad enough to pay silly prices to watch other teams apart from our own GB boys!!!!!

and our own Aussie boys too, Sully R !

Well i'm enjoying it :):):):approve:

and our own Aussie boys too, Sully R !

Well obv!!!!

Its goes without saying id pay to go watch Sully+Crumpy anyday of the week! :D

so what is the title music called then??

"Kashmir"

The version they were using was not the original Led Zep version -

it was the later version that Jimmy Page did with Puff Daddy

(as used in Godzilla) ...

However tonight I notice they have changed the music to something more classical -

perhaps Kashmir was costing them too much in royalties ?

Can't think of any other reason for changing it ...

In my opinion, the number of teams should be reduced from twelve to eight. There's just not enough teams that can compete with the top countries. I would like to see two semi-finals of four, with the top two going through to the final.

It's a shame that some riders don't want to represent their country. Take Germany for example. They have riders like Gerd Riss and Robert Barth, but they won't ride. With their strongest team, Germany would do so much better.

The Speedway World Cup isn't as good as it should be. The format needs looking at and and ALL the countries need to take it serious, not treat it as just another meeting. This year, the crowds haven't been that good so far. Whether it's down to poor advertising or over-priced tickets, I don't know.

Very much my own thoughts.

At the moment you've got Australia, Denmark, Poland, Sweden, GB, USA, and Czech Rep as the top level teams. They should be joined by one qualifer for an eight team tournament.

There should be two semi finals with the winners automatically progressing to the final and the fourth place teams being eliminated.

The second and third place teams have a race off and the top two make up the four finalists.

The first round fourth placed teams would need to qualify for the next world cup.

There would be no more five man races.

The tournament should be staged max every two years, there are not enough staging countries to give a variety for an annual staging.

No more "Team GB". Let's be England and allow the Scots and Welsh to field their own teams if they wish.

The Scots and/or the Welsh would NOT be allowed to put their own teams out, because they're part of one sovereign nation - the United Kingdom.

Otherwise the Aussies could ask for a Victoria team, a Queensland team, etc., and the Yanks could decide to represent California, and so on.

Back in the 70s and 80s, there were separate England and Scotland teams.

You won't get any support from Scots for Team GB because they see it as an England team.

The examples you quote are from countries who have a federal system.

England and Scotland are not states within a federal system but are countries in their own right.

In the Commonwealth Games, there are separate teams from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and the same applies in Soccer, Rugby Union and other sports.

Me Too Jive :P even if I have to watch the meeting the day after because of work, at the end of the day the boys are not disgracing us or themselves they are enjoying the meeting as much as we are here.

Come on Middlo, Come on Boys Lift that World Cup for Britain :!: :!:

Back in the 70s and 80s, there were separate England and Scotland teams.

You won't get any support from Scots for Team GB because they see it as an England team.

The examples you quote are from countries who have a federal system.

England and Scotland are not states within a federal system but are countries in their own right.

In the Commonwealth Games, there are separate teams from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and the same applies in Soccer, Rugby Union and other sports.

Aye, but there is no Scottish or Welsh speedway leagues, no Scottish or Welsh speedway governing bodies. All clubs run under a British structure. Therefore it should be a GB team.

Must say I'm amused at some of the typical Scottish comments around the World Cup. I'm English and live in Scotland and am used to this sort of thing. Funny, but you'll see them cheering their little "bravehearts" out for Peter Carr and Les Collins every week. :lol: :? :lol:

Me Too Jive :P even if I have to watch the meeting the day after because of work, at the end of the day the boys are not disgracing us or themselves they are enjoying the meeting as much as we are here.

Come on Middlo, Come on Boys Lift that World Cup for Britain :!: :!:

Well that makes two of us then :):):P Dunno if i could watch it the day after though :? I would have to know what was happening at the time :)

It was ok Jive I had the results being text through to me....only watching it now as no pressure ;) ........still screaming at the tv though :P

XX COME ON MIDDLO AND THE LADS LIFT THAT WORLD CUP FOR BRITAIN XX

I had the updates texted to me but couldn't bear to look, hubby was at home recording it for me....I didn't want to spoil it, and I wasn't disappointed.