British Speedway Forum
miik-miik

Speedway Is Reaching ... Malaysia!

I don't think that this track is set up for the International star riders. Seems this track is just for the locals to race on and it looks o.k. to me.

If You know that they plan to have speedway with the international stars in one of their big stadia (National Stadium in Kuala Lumpur is a 100,000 all seater venue) it makes anything we have here in Europe look small.

Give them some time, they have to start somehow. Even those 115cc bikes they will use at first are o.k. for them to learn on. You couldn't put them learners all on a 500cc speedway bike. The best riders will eventually move up to the 250cc and finally to the proper 500cc speedway bikes, and will then race against the best of Europe, Australia and America.

While searching for some more info i found this sentence:

"Malaysia juga dijangka menjadi tuan rumah Grand Prix Speedway Antarabangsa FIM (SGP) menjelang tahun 2009 atau 2010."

Unfortunatly I can't understand malay ;-) But it seems like something could happen in 2009 2010.

Best luck !

Malaysia SGP 2009 :)

http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:PelfB...clnk&cd=2&gl=de

Asked my Malaysian friend to translate and yep, it pretty much says that Malaysia also hope to become the hosts of the International SGP in either 2009 0r 2010.

Can tell you now, a SGP in KL would p!ss all over Cardiff experience :approve: .

Edited by Wackie

Either my eyes are telling lies, or I've just seen beach speedway raced on mopeds, complete with luggage boxes?

"And that's three points for Jonsson. No wait! He's dropped the Chicken Strippers, and there goes the Toffee Temptation! Look out, here come the Belgians!"

Millard out! Hall and Waring in!

That's gotta be post of the year so far. Had me crying. Excellent.

Latest video about the track building is at

The first Malaysian season starts on July 21

hi guys, i'm posting from kuala lumpur.

there is a blogsite at:

http://speedwaymalaysia.blogspot.com/

where we will update development as they occur...this is an interim measure as we are now quite busy getting the track ready for the first ever night event in 2 weeks. a more professional website will be up very soon.

thanks for all the kind words of encouragement from all of you.

as for how it all started, we mooted the idea more than 2 decades ago but decided to concentrate in the motoGP first...we promoted the first malaysian motorcycle grand prix for 125cc, 250cc and 500cc bikes (as it was called then) in 1991 and organised it till 1996.

in 2002 we put in a proposal to the ministry of sports in malaysia to develop speedway racing but it was not until late last year when we gave it a real push.

when we had the confirmation of support we got to contact ivan mauger in march this year but he was busy doing his annual trips to europe and us of a.

he got over to meet us in may for the launch not knowing if it was a 5minute project or a one-year project but he soon discovered that it will be a project to stay for the next 100 years, God willing.

he had been a real help and we gained plenty from his experience. he was rather pleased that we finally has some movement for this sport in asia.

Ivan Mauger gave an interview to Western Australias Lets' Talk Speedway Racing radio show on Saturday 7 July with regard to his Malaysian project. Those interested, can listen to the interview by going to Radio Fremantles web site, www.radiofremantle.com and select archive. Scroll to Saturday and click Speedway full program. You can fast forward to Ivans interview at aproximately 1120am.

Thank you. Nev Riseley

thanks nev. he was full of praise for the malaysians...good motivation for the boys and girls involved in the project here in malaysia.

anybody coming this way this month or anytime give me a message and we can meet up at the track or for the events.

first event is the under 21 championship round 1 on 21 july and races every saturday night till december.

we have 4 jawas 500cc with us and some events will have demos by speedway racers from overseas on these machines.

for the opening round we have 2 new zealanders coming over to do the demos of 2 times of 4 laps. they are sam taylor and andrew aldridge.

According to the latest entry on the blog at http://speedwaymalaysia.blogspot.com/ , Linden Warner is helping with the training in KL. I'm sure there are plenty of Rye House fans around from the late 80's / early 90's who will remember Linden!

This is not the first attempt to set up speedway in Asia. That was in 1930, in Singapore - see http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/space4/singapore.htm

thanks for the tiscali site which showed that the first race was held in singapore in 1930...

it looked like it was a one-off attempt of one race...

the malaysians will have to re-angle their claims to as follows:

"Organising the first Asian Speedway race in the modrn era of Speedway racing."

or "Organising the first ever Speedway championship in Asia."

...both these statements are true.

Organising the first ever Speedway Teams racing?..... ;)

Regards.

PS.

Will you have Handicap racing?

I'd love to visit Malaysia again, to watch speedway will be a huge bonus.

Hope speedway kicks off in Malaysia, a truly great country with fantastic food and friendly people..and not that far from Australia.

MALAYSIA OPENS A HISTORICAL CHAPTER FOR ASIA IN SPEEDWAY MOTORCYCLE RACING

Kiwi champions test Malaysia's Speedway circuit ahead of first race weekend this Saturday night

Do visit the temporary site at: http://speedwaymalaysia.blogspot.com/ for all the latest updates on the development of Speedway racing in Malaysia - a first for Asia.

The first race weekend is tonight in the heart of Kuala Lumpur!

MALAYSIA OPENS A HISTORICAL CHAPTER FOR ASIA IN SPEEDWAY MOTORCYCLE RACING

Kiwi champions test Malaysia's Speedway circuit ahead of first race weekend this Saturday night

Do visit the temporary site at: http://speedwaymalaysia.blogspot.com/ for all the latest updates on the development of Speedway racing in Malaysia - a first for Asia.

The first race weekend is tonight in the heart of Kuala Lumpur!

Best of Luck for the Meeting Tonight M8!

Could be planning a weekend over there soon, don't know if Tiger flies to KL yet but its cheap as chips from Darwin to Singapore and the train ride from Singapore to KL sounds fun!