68-5 John Poyser

68-1 Leo McCauliffe and Ronnie Genz for Oxford v Newport unknowns

68-3 and 68-4 Eddie Reeves corrected

68-1 Colin Gooddy and Les Owen Coventry

68-1 John Bishop v Swindon unknowns

* Godtfred Andreasen outside Mike Broadbank

Edited by miro

68-4 and 68-5 Eddie Reeves

Little typo there - should read 68-3 and 68-4.

Steve

Edited by chunky

Hackney 68-1, and possibly 68-5 also, look like Des Lukehurst

Middlesbrough unk. v Reading 68-1 is Terry Lee

Middlesbrough unk. v Spittles 68-1 is Terry Lee

Rayleigh unk. 68-1 is Dingle Brown

Steve

68-5 John Poyser

Many thanks to Miro and all others who have helped to identify more 'mystery men' on our site.

I'm not sure about Poyser, though. The Oxford pic was definitely taken in 1968, the same year as this shot

http://www.retro-speedway.com/extras/autog...pg&start=80

of JP in Reading colours - and they don't look like the same man!

Poyser did make one official appearance for the Cheetahs in '68, but I'm wondering if the man in Oxford colours is Colin Clark, who rode that year for second division Crayford?

Can anyone pse confirm whether Colin also rode second halves at Oxford, or perhaps appeared as their No.8, which might explain him appearing in the Cheetahs' body colour?

I'm embarrassed at there being so many more Hackney 'unknowns' still to be identified, never mind the rest!

Thanks again, though, to all for looking...

http://www.retro-speedway.com/extras/autog...autogallery.php?

I'm not sure about Poyser, though. The Oxford pic was definitely taken in 1968, the same year as this shot

I agree with you, Tony; it certainly doesn't look like John Poyser, but neither is it Colin Clark! Just compare that pic with the one you have of Colin in the Crayford gallery...

Steve

Edited by chunky

1968 Oxford mystery man

If not Poyser then Andreasen, though he looked more Danish somehow

Not Pete Saunders and certainly not Ted Spittles!

any offers?

1968 Oxford mystery man

If not Poyser then Andreasen, though he looked more Danish somehow

Not Pete Saunders and certainly not Ted Spittles!

any offers?

I know exactly what you are saying! It is definitely neither of them, and although Andreasen was my first guess, judging by photos I've seen of him, that's not him either!

What we are possibly looking for is someone who didn't actually appear for Oxford in an official fixture...

Steve

Exeter....

Ashby and Poole unknowns-68-1 L-r Bill Andrew,Neil Street,Bruce Cribb,Martin Ashby.

Chris Julian 73-2...I think its Bob Coles

Jimmy Squibb vs Coventry unknown........Its Les Owen

Unkown 68-1...Tony George

Newport....

Unknown @West Ham 68-1..Outside George Barclay,Tony Clarke?,Inside Bob Hughes

Unknown v Oxord unknown 68-1....definitely Jon Erskine.(This photo also appears in the Oxford gallery)

Unknowns@Oxford 68-1...Inside Bob Hughes

Newcastle unknown injured at West Ham 68-1 is Goog Allan.

Many thanks, as always, to those who have identified riders for us.

Just added to the site are lots of pics from 1975, the year of...

New Weslake engines.

Mike Lee starting at Boston.

The opening of Crayford, Paisley & Mildenhall, plus the re-opening of Reading.

The Wembley World Final dust.

...and that unforgettable Hackney legend, Timmy Joe Shepherd (one match, two rides, zero points, never been seen again). This could well be the only pic ever taken of him..

http://www.retro-speedway.com/extras/autog...pg&start=80

The 'Glasgow Unknowns 68-1 at Coventry' is causing consternation. One Tigers fans is convinced the rider in white is Oyvind Berg and another says it's Bo Josefsson. One says the man on the inside is Russ Dent, the other says Bill

McMillan. Anyone have a view on it? Here's the link to the pic in question.

http://www.retro-speedway.com/extras/autog...ventry_68-1.jpg

Cheers,

Tony Mac

Moving on....have now added loads of pics from season 1976.

The opening of White City Rebels.

Oxford Cheetahs going National League.

Last UK pictures of the late Tommy Jansson of Wimbledon taken just days before his tragic death.

The Aussies winning the World Team Cup after knocking out England in the UK qualifier.

More Weslakes and uprights!

England's day in Katowice.

...and plenty new 'unknowns' for you experts to identify!

http://www.retro-speedway.com

Just to let everyone know that our Retro Speedway website has now been completely re-designed and relaunched today (June 27).

The Photo Gallery/Sales section is ongoing and we'll be updating it very regularly, so worth a look there every now and again to see what great pics from the past have been added since your previous visit. There are literally thousands of pics to be scanned and displayed on site, so please bear with us...we'll get round to your personal favourites sooner or later! It will quickly become the most visually nostalgic speedway site to be found anywhere. Club galleries updated today are: Belle Vue, Coventry, Cradley, Canterbury and Crayford, with more to follow tomorrow...

I'm also trying to get most of my audio taped interviews from Backtrack (with the likes of Mauger, Michanek, Wilson, Lee, Jessup, Simmo, etc, etc) converted to the correct audio format, which will enable you to download and listen to segments of the tapes, to add a further touch of authenticity. Wait for the girls to go weak at the knees as smoothie Anders talks about his time in speedway!

You will also notice our new Retro Speedway Club (free to join) and a Readers' Questionnaire for you to complete online if and when you get the time. All part of our efforts to interract better with our customers/readers.

We've also added a secure server PayPal system, so that people can now purchase books, magazines and other items from our site using their debit/credit card with much more confidence than before.

Please let us know what you think...

Cheers,

TMc

Website link:

http://www.retro-speedway.com

tmc I am trying to search Lanarkshire Eagles for whom I hav e aprogramme but cannot trace it in the site.

Am I doing it wrong?

Lanarkshire Eagles were early 50s. The site has nothing from those days ......... as yet

Just about everything is British League days stuff