British Speedway Forum
aireyatowlerton

Len Williams

From the Sheffield Star newspaper

Williams Len - Passed away on June 15, 2007, aged 86 years. Much loved dad, grandad and husband (to Winnie, now deceased). Private family funeral. Ex Sheffield, Leicester and England Speedway rider. We will all miss you. Love - Jeff, Jayne, Elliot and Oliver.

One of the true Owlerton greats. I saw him only during his one season comeback in 1960 and, although no longer in his pomp, he still managed to beat most of the top PL men when they visited Sheffield. A very fine rider.

R.I.P. Len.

Well remember him from his time with Leicester Hunters when he always used to wear a green or yellow jersey over his leathers. Great little rider.

He used to live in Leicester but I presume if his death was mentioned in a Sheffield paper he must have moved there at some point? :unsure:

R.I.P. Len.

Well remember him from his time with Leicester Hunters when he always used to wear a green or yellow jersey over his leathers.  Great little rider.

He used to live in Leicester but I presume if his death was mentioned in a Sheffield paper he must have moved there at some point?  :unsure:

Always understood that Len lived in the Leicester area, but don't know if that was so at the time of his passing. Possibly the obit in the Sheffield Star was because of his long association with the Tigers.

During the 1960 season he always wore a green jersey over his leathers as well as a pair of brown leather gauntlets; the only rider that I can recall who did not wear conventional gloves.

Len also started the 1961 season for Sheffield but, for business reasons, could only ride home matches.

The other Provincial League teams weren't at all happy about this - understandably - and he was soon forced to retire.

I seem to remember Ivan Mauger riding a season like that for Exeter.

Sorry to hear about Len. I too remember that he only made himself available for home matches on his comeback. Is his brother Stan still alive?

R.I.P. Len.

Well remember him from his time with Leicester Hunters when he always used to wear a green or yellow jersey over his leathers.  Great little rider.

He used to live in Leicester but I presume if his death was mentioned in a Sheffield paper he must have moved there at some point?  :unsure:

Always understood that Len lived in the Leicester area, but don't know if that was so at the time of his passing.  Possibly the obit in the Sheffield Star was because of his long association with the Tigers.

Well before my time, but my mum knew Len's daughter (Jayne, as mentioned) as they both worked in the libraries for years, they probably first met in the late 70s and the family were in Sheffield then. Unfortunately I've no idea if Stan is still with us.

They never went to Owlerton regularly though after Len retired, from what I can remember he didn't keep in touch with many folk, but Fred Rogers (also now gone, I believe) managed to get him to a veterans' do some years ago, and he really enjoyed it, and folk were just as thrilled to see him.

I remember Stan and Len together in the Tigers line-ups in the 40's. They rode as a pair in matches sometimes, much like the Parkers in the England team.

It is always sad to read of the passing of the old-timers.

Condolences to all family and friends of Len

Also I can confirm "our" Fred Rogers passed on a few years back. He was an ex-President of the V S R A (1998 I think)

Edited by star ghost

Yes, I also rememember Stan and Len Williams. Also that Stan drove a Skirrow midget car for Leicester in the Midland League in their 1951-52 season. He scored 22 points in six matches.