British Speedway Forum

(10) David Speight; Rode well, and made the semi, come on Conference teams            somebody somewhere must be able to give this guy a try.

You must be joking. The amount of laps he's had at Sheffield he should have won the thing! Tried, tested and unfortunately proven to be no good :blink:

I do tend to agree with some of your other comments though SK. My rider of the night was Joe Haines, classy style and looks comfortable on the bike. I think he is only 15, is that correct? If so, the minute he turned 16 I'd be getting him signed up ready for us. Another one was Greg Blair, to say he's 16 he can definitely ride the bike, not ready for PL yet IMO so I'd agree with his decision to turn down Redcar, but he is definitely one to watch. I'll be watching out for these 2 young riders' results in the future, definitely.

Another thing that impressed me was Ben Taylor. Dunno how much he got on the night, don't really care tbh, the fact he gave it to Garry Stead was absolutely fantastic. Well done Ben :)

You must be joking. The amount of laps he's had at Sheffield he should have won the thing! Tried, tested and unfortunately proven to be no good  :blink:

I do tend to agree with some of your other comments though SK. My rider of the night was Joe Haines, classy style and looks comfortable on the bike. I think he is only 15, is that correct? If so, the minute he turned 16 I'd be getting him signed up ready for us. Another one was Greg Blair, to say he's 16 he can definitely ride the bike, not ready for PL yet IMO so I'd agree with his decision to turn down Redcar, but he is definitely one to watch. I'll be watching out for these 2 young riders' results in the future, definitely.

Another thing that impressed me was Ben Taylor. Dunno how much he got on the night, don't really care tbh, the fact he gave it to Garry Stead was absolutely fantastic. Well done Ben  :)

I still think that David could do job for a Conference team,

But he has had CL teams in the past and still no-one has signed him up this year like a lot of riders about ATM,they aren't youngsters anymore and want to start thinking about retirement as they are/were no good at any level

But he has had CL teams in the past and still no-one has signed him up this year like a lot of riders about ATM,they aren't youngsters anymore and want to start thinking about retirement as they are/were no good at any level

Quite right the conference league should be for young riders only mainly under 21 to help them get started in their careers not for 16 year olds to get demoralised by being beaten by the likes of Seemond Stephens and Buzz Burrows!!

How old do you think that David Speight really is, and how the hell can you compare hin to Stephens and Buzz Burrows.

Quite right the conference league should be for young riders only mainly under 21 to help them get started in their careers not for 16 year olds to get demoralised by being beaten by the likes of Seemond Stephens and Buzz Burrows!!

The older riders in the conference league play leading roles and are extremely valuable. These riders have a lot of experience and in Seemond’s case, I know that he spends a lot of time with the Plymouth riders on bike set-ups and riding styles e.t.c. How do you think that riders like Woffinden, Auty and Roynon would progress without having to compete against top riders who have 'been there, done that'.... these riders are irreplaceable because of their experience and if the likes of Seemond and Buzz did not ride, the CL wouldn’t prepare riders for the move up to PL racing.

How old do you think that David Speight really is, and how the hell can you compare hin to Stephens and Buzz Burrows.

A wasn't really comparing him to them two but it may have sounded like that...i understand what you are saying 'pj' but perhaps they should be employed as rider coaches at clubs like that then!!

I think Dave Speight is about 25 and to be honest is only riding speedway as a hobby. He is also a resonable grasstracker. He doesn't need the money by any means(don't be fooled by his appearance!)but the lad has been called upon to travel all over the country with Conference teams when other riders either could'nt or would'nt.Don't knock him too much and don't be so judgemental. Not every second halfer thinks they will be the next World Champ!

He's got to be at least Birko's age, come on the guy's been around forever and he's no more than a 2nd halfer, and no offence intended but his hobby is basically beating kids.

I beleive that the likes of stephens and burrows are fine to ride in the CL as they provide much needed experience/knowledge to younger lads,but the likes of speight,birkinshaw etc are never going to get better than CL really and are taking the places of these young lad.

Dave's hobby is riding a bike, if he beats kids on the way so be it. You make it sound as if he has got something against the up and coming kids, when you couldn't be further from the truth. Ask any of the lads who rode for the Sheff. conference team what Dave is like.Someone has to make up the numbers at these meetings and provide someone to beat! Not all the second half kids are ready to hack it in a "real meeting ", they need some practice against the likes of Dave and others of his standard.(Rant over )

Dave's hobby is riding a bike, if he beats kids on the way so be it. You make it sound as if he has got something against the up and coming kids, when you couldn't be further from the truth. Ask any of the lads who rode for the Sheff. conference team what Dave is like.Someone has to make up the numbers at these meetings and provide someone to beat! Not all the second half kids are ready to hack it in a "real meeting ", they need some practice against the likes of Dave and others of his standard.(Rant over )

I know Dave and I do know about the guys background, but he is only allowed to stand on his own two feet when it comes to his racing I am not sure that he is not ambitious, once sat talking to him at the Sheffield Training track about the grading system, and how hard it had hit him, and virtually written off the chance of him getting a team place.

I beleive that the likes of stephens and burrows are fine to ride in the CL as they provide much needed experience/knowledge to younger lads,but the likes of speight,birkinshaw etc are never going to get better than CL really and are taking the places of these young lad.

Birko is averaging 6 point plus for all PL, PT and KOC meetings, is in the full body of the Sheffield team, only 27, and for the record he was nearly always there for the Sheffield Training track to encourage the youngsters before the was closed down

Hope you feel a bit stupid now Matty.

Birko is averaging 6 point plus for all PL, PT and KOC meetings, is in the full body of the Sheffield team, only 27, and for the record he was nearly always there for the Sheffield Training track to encourage the youngsters before the was closed down

Hope you feel a bit stupid now Matty.

:D no why should i,birkenshaw might be averaging 6 fair enough but i'm not the one calling for his head still :unsure: and BTW cant see that 6 point average lasting any lonnger than the next 8 or 9 matches.

:D  no why should i,birkenshaw might be averaging 6 fair enough but i'm not the one calling for his head still  :unsure:  and BTW cant see that 6 point average lasting any lonnger than the next 8 or 9 matches.

Well he has kept it going for the most of this season, so I cannot see him renting now.