British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ozyace

GO AUSSIES!

Sue beginning to think we may have jinxed the team between us :oops: but it was good fun getting carried away with the build up :!: I enjoyed the meeting even if I did cry :cry:

Shazzybird, it didn't work with Sweden though (I put a canny bet on, laughing all the way to the bank now) maybe next year I will say that all the others will win and GB will lose.....hopefully the jinx will work.

I Predict

Aussies 66

Poles 53

Danes 52 (Dropping Kenneth and Puk will come back to haunt them)

Brits 43

Swedes 36 (Without Rickardsson they will struggle.

Good prediction. You're not Tony Millard in disguise are you?

I must say I have noticed quite a lot of anti-australian views and opinions recently, none of which backed up or explained as well as pete... here's a few... consider yourselves named and shamed.

on a brighter note the Auzzies did not win
The one good thing for me is that the Aussies didn't win it!
Anything but the Aussies is very good!
But the best moment was seeing the Aussies loose

(I shall now say the following statement with tongue firmly in cheek and with acres of sarcasm as it isn't my true opinion or viewpoint.)

I'm just glad the Brits didn't win it!

see? it's not big and it's not clever.

I'll put the soapbox away now.

i really don't see why everybody has such a problem with the aussies. Maybe it's the fact that they strive to win all the time and they don't have the typical british attitude its not the winning its the taking part that counts. Well i for one wish that Great Britain as a country were more like Australia. They seem to be more patriotic, and they have a winning mentality which usually, obviously not all the time, shines through.

Anyway thats my rant over. Well done to Sweden

I think we should be fair to those not wanting the Aussies to win and I include myself in that group. Its not simply down to any form of prejudice. Its just that with 3 of the world's best in their team, they were overwhelming favourites. Its human nature to get behind the underdogs instead.

Also, imagine if the Aussies had won again, how boring. Variety is the spice of life, its good to have a different winner. Next year, we'll see if they can rise to the challenge and regain their title. It's a bit more exciting than seeing if they can win it for the fourth consecutive time.

Variety is the spice of life, its good to have a different winner

You're right it should have been us (as in GB not US) :P:cry:

Guest Sir Lunchalot

My tuppence worth.

If anyone loses because someone else has got sick of being beaten and raises the level of their own game and becomes "better" than the previous best then I'm all for it as it makes for far better competition. I would rather see last years losers improve rather than last years winners fall away.

If however you are purely wishing someone to lose "just because they have won it too many times before and it's boring" then forget it, you are way off beam.

Should you get sick of Borg winning Wimbledon 5 times in a row ? or Rickardsson winning multiple world titles ? No you shouldn't, you should appreciate them for being the best in their chosen sport at the time, end of story.

For the record all credit to Sweden, they did lift in the last six or seven heats when it was needed in the SWC.

Should you get sick of Borg winning Wimbledon 5 times in a row ? or Rickardsson winning multiple world titles ? No you shouldn't, you should appreciate them for being the best in their chosen sport at the time, end of story.

Just because I'm pleased a new team won it doesn't necessarily mean I don't appreciate the talents of the Aussies. If anything, I'd still say they are the best team and if the World Cup was run as a GP series, they would absolutely storm it. Sweden just produced the goods on the night.

All I'm saying is that in its third running ever, it is good for the wider interest of the sport to have a new winner. It is the sort of thing that breeds rivalries. You refer to Borg - bit before my time - but really wouldn't his standing in the sport be diminished if it weren't for the likes of McEnroe and their battles?

I also agree, it was good for speedway in general to see a different nation win the WTC. I do think the Aussies are the best and have 3 of the best riders in the world presently but for the neutral fans out there, its always more exciting for the "underdogs" to win. It will help attract new fans to the sport, and makes it more entertaining for everyone.

Lets face it, previous seasons gone by in Formula 1 have been so dull because of a certain Michael Schumacher winning ALL the time. All sports need a variety of winners to keep viewers interested and I think Sweden winning will keep the interest flowing. It's just like the GP series, 5 different winners in 5 meetings, what more could you ask for? It makes for such an exciting finale when it could be a matter of say 5 people who could be World Champion come the end of 2003. As John Postleweithe (sorry not too sure of correct spelling!) said, he wants to attract more interest to the WTC next year and make sure it grabs everyone's attention. If the same nation had won it all 3 years, its not exactly going to attract people to go, but with this result, its good for the sport.

Not good for the bookies mind you....they will not have been too chuffed with the odds they put on for Sweden winning! :lol: