British Speedway Forum
Phil

The Garry Stead Benefit “grand Prix”

All that trouble I went to having my hair done, buying a new outfit, shoes etc. & you couldn't even be arsed to come & say hello.  :(

Well, I did what you said and looked for a 6' 2" bronzed good looking man with jet black hair and there was that many of them in that I didn't know which one was you. Perhaps you should have worn that red carnation 'cos I didn't see many of them last night. Hope to see you soon. :lol:;)

:blink::blink:

Edited by Tsunami

Is there any chance the final will be put on youtube? B)

yer it would be great to see it again.

Great meating, wish they had opened the back straight there was no room to move never mind sit down.

I got in at 5:15 and got a good spot on the 1st bend. Brilliant view of Complin's 2 passes and they were carbon copies of each other.

Glad that Garry Stead had an excellent turn out with an entertaining meeting to boot!!!

Think the meeting last night was further prove the Sheffield would be a real hot bed for speedway if they went elite with the top riders going full tilt at each other.

an excellent advert for speedway and a fitting tribute to a thoroughly brilliant bloke!

what a remarkable character.whenever i am feeling down because of something totally insignificant i will think of garry and the way he has handled a life changing tragedy.....a lesson to us all.best of luck garry.

an excellent day from start to finish.

headed off at 10.30am with my dad and two mates. weather was way too hot for travelling :neutral:

after having tea in Sheff, we headed back to the stadium and saw Steady. as always, he seemed pleased to see my programme board :wink: and it was good to see him taking so much time with everyone, chatting and signing stuff.

on the social side of things, it was suave to see Ruby Tuesday and her mum, plus Krissie and Andrew again. not quite sure how i managed to meet folk in the middle of such a large crowd though!

racing wise, i thoroughly enjoyed it. a lot of people already know i think Owlerton is the best race track in the country and last night just proved that. one of my mates was on his first visit there and he couldn't believe his eyes :D

the Final was out of this world and, as has been said before, had to be seen to be believed. as tyre and fuel sponsor for Lee Complin, i was naturally delighted. :P dad wanted Fredrik Lindgren to win but wasn't overly disappointed cos he likes Lee as well.

the night ended with a quick chat with Neil Machin (very nice man!) before heading back North, finally jumping into bed at 4am. an unforgettable day out and hats off to the organisers, etc for the whole occasion.

Go On Steady! your Legend will never die :approve:

Last night was absolutely awesome, basically.

The racing was fantastic, first few races were a bit processional but after that it was fantastic. I'm not going to say how I thought each rider did because especially on such a night for the reasons it was for, it's unfair to give any criticism, but Complin was awesome and after that final, the deserved winner. Tai was very impressive aswell especially after that first race.

The crowd was massive, could hardly move! It's going to raise loads for Garry and rightly so because he deserves every penny of it. His attitude before the meeting speaking to every fan who wanted to see him and signing autographs, having photos took etc, he didn't have to do it at all, but he still did. That's just the kind of guy he is though. No amount of money can make up for what he's lost but hopefully it can have some impact. His words before the meeting although simple meant a lot to everyone in that stadium. The bits in the programme that were from him were also fantastic and it is amazing to see him with such a positive attitude.

To finish off, hopefully Richard Hall is alright, very nasty spill and first reports don't look good :( Also Alan Mogridge although it's great to see he's alright.

Last night was absolutely awesome, basically.

The racing was fantastic, first few races were a bit processional but after that it was fantastic. I'm not going to say how I thought each rider did because especially on such a night for the reasons it was for, it's unfair to give any criticism, but Complin was awesome and after that final, the deserved winner. Tai was very impressive aswell especially after that first race.

The crowd was massive, could hardly move! It's going to raise loads for Garry and rightly so because he deserves every penny of it. His attitude before the meeting speaking to every fan who wanted to see him and signing autographs, having photos took etc, he didn't have to do it at all, but he still did. That's just the kind of guy he is though. No amount of money can make up for what he's lost but hopefully it can have some impact. His words before the meeting although simple meant a lot to everyone in that stadium. The bits in the programme that were from him were also fantastic and it is amazing to see him with such a positive attitude.

To finish off, hopefully Richard Hall is alright, very nasty spill and first reports don't look good :( Also Alan Mogridge although it's great to see he's alright.

Nicely Put TB

Will theRE be a DVD of the meeting with the profit going to Gary?

I think so. Bob Tasker who films Worky, Us and Redcar was extremely busy filmimg everything last night. I believe he has already produced a best bits of Garry DVD which has been out a little while and the proceeds will go to Garry. I will post details when I get them or I would expect Bob will be on here to advertise it himself. It should be worth buying. :lol:

:blink::blink:

Glad that Garry Stead had an excellent turn out with an entertaining meeting to boot!!!

Think the meeting last night was further prove the Sheffield would be a real hot bed for speedway if they went elite with the top riders going full tilt at each other.

Elite racing wouldn't produce anything better than this, in fact pretty boring compared with PL racing, too few teams in the league, too many foreign riders, too many "from the gate" IMHO.

Can't wait to see if Lee can turn it on again for us at Stoke tomorrow.

A treat in store looking at the two line ups, never mind EL racing.

Elite racing wouldn't produce anything better than this, in fact pretty boring compared with PL racing, too few teams in the league, too many foreign riders, too many "from the gate"  IMHO.

A different subject and not going to discuss that on this thread, but last night was the best racing all season at owlerton. I can only put it down to poorer standard riders this season in a weak league, but a fantastic match last night! :approve:

It was a decent meeting, but that wasn't what it was about, anyway. It was a great night for Garry and that's all that matters :approve:

I spent most of my time on the 3rd/4th bend terracing, and couldn't make out a word of what was said on the mic...a blessing on most occasions, but sadly not last night. Never mind.

The few racing things that stand out...and I wasn't giving it 100% attention...

Jason Lyons rode better than I've ever seen him ride :o

Ricky Ashworth...can someone on his side please tell him twice-a-day every-day for the next year - 'You are not Mark Loram'

Chris Kerr, and even-more-so Ben Barker...Well done and fair play ! Both took nasty spills, Ben's looked horrible !...and yet both got off-track with their bikes, so fast. Kerr's fast exit spoiled by a trigger happy Ref, but he did well anyway.

Poor old Richard Hall... :(

And what can I add about Complin ?! Nothing, but, sensational B) (fair play to Fred in the Final, many would have slammed the door shut)

Really nice to catch up with quite a few peeps off here, and from elsewhere, who I hadn't seen for a while. Especially nice to meet godmother for the first time :)

p.s Liontamer...I thought your hair looked great...and those shoes !

Elite racing wouldn't produce anything better than this, in fact pretty boring compared with PL racing, too few teams in the league, too many foreign riders, too many "from the gate"  IMHO.

Not the right place for this dragged out subjective argument at all.

Back to topic - what a great night! :approve: My first trip to Sheffield and firstly very impressed with the stadium - strange but it all seemed much smaller to be there than how it always seemed on TV.

Great to see so many people there, was a little cosy on the terraces for sure, but a cracking atmosphere and so pleased for Garry to see so many people turn out to pay tribute to him. His attitude last night, and his cheerfulness was humbling - wish him the very best in the challenges ahead but the whole speedway family will be behind him.

The meeting itself was well worth the trip too, all riders giving it everything and some brilliant racing. Complin's pass on Lindgren was awesome and Freddie is no slouch on the world stage. Though the racing better than expected, I'm not a huge fan of big tracks but enjoyed this thoroughly. Hope that Richard Hall's injuries aren't as bad as first feared, and Moggo bless him must've wondered what on earth he'd let himself in for. I'm sure he won't worry too much about those bruises at the end of the day though.

Great to meet Tsunami and chew the fat for some of the meeting. Could've chatted to him for hours there.

And finally thanks to BobC for driving me, Bren and Tom up there, if we were forced to go to the Sheffield Wednesday Superstore as pennance. ;) Glad the rocket fuel kept you awake, I've needed loads of it today at work, I don't think I do 3am anymore! :rolleyes: Oh and special mention to Brendan for winning the gating competition, now do it again on track ;)