British Speedway Forum

Can anyone recommend a continental Ice Speedway meeting that would be good to go to, Russia, Scandinavia, Holland or where?

Well two great meetings will be Assen(Netherlands)07/08/09.03.The first night will be an individual meeting with some of the best of the rest and the next two days will be the Ice Speedway GP meetings.

Then the next weekend in Berlin will see the climax of the GPs and the World Champ crowned.Both are great meetings and not reliant on the weather.That is the problem you might have if you go to Scandinavia.The warm weather last winter played havoc with the Ice Speedway season in Scandinavia.

There is also the GP quali in Inzell(Southern Germany)09-10.02.The meeting isn't reliant on the weather,but i guess all the other things like skiing or snowboarding will be.Although i did see a programme that they had an artificial snow machine there that could make the pistes skiable at +40 degrees!!!(i think)

I am sure Russia would be worth a visit but someone else will have to give you advice on that trip :D

Got to agree with Iris123 that Assen and Berlin are good meetings, mainly because they are artificial tracks (ie they use a freezing plant to make the track) so you are assured of racing. Assen has the better atmosphere IMO and it's under cover in case of inclement weather (unless you are a photographer on the centre!).

Both meetings get good crowds and you can have a good time at both and see some great racing.

Speaking to a few people Russia is best visited in a tour group, as only the hardy tackle a solo trip. To hear some of the rider's stories it can be expensive and/or slightly dangerous!

Also not sure,but maybe Berlin will be holding the German Championships next year.So there might be 3 days of speedway there as well as Assen.That would be on the thursday and would be a meeting well worth seeing.But like i say,i am not sure on that.At Assen you also get the added bonus of seeing one or two of the british guys in action on the friday :)

Speaking to a few people Russia is best visited in a tour group, as only the hardy tackle a solo trip. To hear some of the rider's stories it can be expensive and/or slightly dangerous!

As a lone travelling rider to Russia, I quite agree that Russia is best visited as a tour group (if visited at all). In my opinion it is better to stay in places like Germany or Holland for the viewing but not for the racing. Russia in my experience proved very costly for anyone travelling in a foreign vehicle. The roads are not good past Moscow but that is where the good racing can be found.

The early season international series in Sweden,the Santa cup have provisional dates already

26-12-07 @ Örnsköldsvik

27-12-07 @ Östersund

28-12-07 @ Bollnäs

29-12-07 @ Gävle

Most of the riders will be Swedish, but there is always the best from other nations as well.

Mark!

First can you contact me privately re Pete Devine!

Second - will we be seeing you in Assen in March, and did you get the pictures Roger or I sent you?

Third - Thanks for the Santa Cup dates

Ian