British Speedway Forum
norbold

History Of Rye House Speedway

I've just come across these two reviews of a new book on the history of Rye House called "70 Years of Rye House Speedway."

The first is from the Hertfordshire Mercury; the second from the South London Press.

I wonder who the author is...? :wink:

"Ride down memory lane

By Andrew Franczak

PROLIFIC speedway writer Norman Jacobs has penned an entertaining and fact-filled book on 70 years of the sport at Rye House.

And many of the issues which cause so much controversy today crop up time and again throughout the decades including the use of foreign riders, promoters struggling to make ends meet and perhaps most topical of all floods.

Rye House first opened to the public in 1934 as a training track for young riders, a tradition still kept up in 2007 as the Hoddesdon circuit is one of only a few giving juniors proper second half races to compete in.

The book divides its chapters into decades, with detailed analysis of league positions and rider averages.

The earliest years give a fascinating insight into the development of the track built on the banks of the River Lea.

The thorny question of foreign riders arose as early 1936 when there was a big furore about the number of Americans allowed to ride in this country by speedway's governing body - hence the emergence of Rye House as a practice track for home grown talent.

# 70 Years of Rye House Speedway by Norman Jacobs is out now and published by Tempus (The Mill, Briscombe Port, Stroud, Glous GL2 2QG. Tel: 01453 883300.)"

"70 YEARS OF RYE HOUSE SPEEDWAY

Author: Norman Jacobs.

Stadia: £14.99

ISBN 978-0-7524-4162-7

FORGET the title. Rye House was the London area training track for novices. And it was responsible for the development of riders who became members of the great Wimbledon teams of the 1950s and 1960s.

They include the legendary Ron How who, although originally a member of the Harringay team, was a stalwart of the Dons' teams that dominated the National League championship in the 1960s.

How went on to become an England international and world finalist, although the sport's great crown eluded him. On track, he was a swashbuckling, hard-charging character. It was all so different to his off-track life. He had a pub at Great Missenden in Buckinghamshire and also ran a nearby dairy farm.

Cyril Maidment also cut his racing teeth at Rye House, then became a formidable Dons rider for many seasons, and eventually the club's team manager. He had firm local roots, and owned a greengrocer's in Mitcham.

Alf Hagon was another Rye House graduate who progress to a Wimbledon career via Harringay. He wore spectacles, was quiet talking, but a mechanical genius who still has technical links with speedway and its associate formulas grass track and long-track racing.

Another who plied his craft at Rye House before enoying a long stay at Wimbledon was Jim Tebby. While not in the same top class as How, Maidment and Hagon, Tebby was a dedicated journeymen who had a long-stay career with Wimbledon in halcyon times.

Another old-time Dons rider who plied his craft at Rye House was Ron Howes (not to be confused with Ron How). Howes had links with Wimbledon in 1938 and 1939, when he was also a regular in Sunday afternoon meetings at Rye House. Post-war he had another spell in Dons colours and into the late 1940s rode for West Ham and Rayleigh.

The origins of Rye House are as a training track from 1934 until the early 1970s when it became a successful mainstream league speedway club. Two riders who had post-war links with Wimbledon, Ken Brett and Phil 'Tiger' Hart raced at Rye House's first meeting on May 27 1934.

This is a thoroughly well researched book with some excellent nostalgic photos.

It is a fitting testimony to the dedication author Norman Jacobs puts into works of this kind. The book is definitive history of a unique track. It has this reviewer's sign of approval.

John Hyam"

Edited by norbold

I'd give you a review but Amazon although ordered and paid for months ago have so far yet failed to deliver the goods! Must admit bit miffed about this especially as they've taken the money already!

Guest Steve Dixon
I've just come across these two reviews of a new book on the history of Rye House called "70 Years of Rye House Speedway."

The first is from the Hertfordshire Mercury; the second from the South London Press.

I wonder who the author is...? :wink:

"Ride down memory lane

By Andrew Franczak

PROLIFIC speedway writer Norman Jacobs has penned an entertaining and fact-filled book on 70 years of the sport at Rye House.

And many of the issues which cause so much controversy today crop up time and again throughout the decades including the use of foreign riders, promoters struggling to make ends meet and perhaps most topical of all floods.

Rye House first opened to the public in 1934 as a training track for young riders, a tradition still kept up in 2007 as the Hoddesdon circuit is one of only a few giving juniors proper second half races to compete in.

The book divides its chapters into decades, with detailed analysis of league positions and rider averages.

The earliest years give a fascinating insight into the development of the track built on the banks of the River Lea.

The thorny question of foreign riders arose as early 1936 when there was a big furore about the number of Americans allowed to ride in this country by speedway's governing body - hence the emergence of Rye House as a practice track for home grown talent.

# 70 Years of Rye House Speedway by Norman Jacobs is out now and published by Tempus (The Mill, Briscombe Port, Stroud, Glous GL2 2QG. Tel: 01453 883300.)"

"70 YEARS OF RYE HOUSE SPEEDWAY

Author: Norman Jacobs.

Stadia: £14.99

ISBN 978-0-7524-4162-7

FORGET the title. Rye House was the London area training track for novices. And it was responsible for the development of riders who became members of the great Wimbledon teams of the 1950s and 1960s.

They include the legendary Ron How who, although originally a member of the Harringay team, was a stalwart of the Dons' teams that dominated the National League championship in the 1960s.

How went on to become an England international and world finalist, although the sport's great crown eluded him. On track, he was a swashbuckling, hard-charging character. It was all so different to his off-track life. He had a pub at Great Missenden in Buckinghamshire and also ran a nearby dairy farm.

Cyril Maidment also cut his racing teeth at Rye House, then became a formidable Dons rider for many seasons, and eventually the club's team manager. He had firm local roots, and owned a greengrocer's in Mitcham.

Alf Hagon was another Rye House graduate who progress to a Wimbledon career via Harringay. He wore spectacles, was quiet talking, but a mechanical genius who still has technical links with speedway and its associate formulas grass track and long-track racing.

Another who plied his craft at Rye House before enoying a long stay at Wimbledon was Jim Tebby. While not in the same top class as How, Maidment and Hagon, Tebby was a dedicated journeymen who had a long-stay career with Wimbledon in halcyon times.

Another old-time Dons rider who plied his craft at Rye House was Ron Howes (not to be confused with Ron How). Howes had links with Wimbledon in 1938 and 1939, when he was also a regular in Sunday afternoon meetings at Rye House. Post-war he had another spell in Dons colours and into the late 1940s rode for West Ham and Rayleigh.

The origins of Rye House are as a training track from 1934 until the early 1970s when it became a successful mainstream league speedway club. Two riders who had post-war links with Wimbledon, Ken Brett and Phil 'Tiger' Hart raced at Rye House's first meeting on May 27 1934.

This is a thoroughly well researched book with some excellent nostalgic photos.

It is a fitting testimony to the dedication author Norman Jacobs puts into works of this kind. The book is definitive history of a unique track. It has this reviewer's sign of approval.

John Hyam"

Crackin' book only 3 decent pics in it tho.... :D

I'd give you a review but Amazon although ordered and paid for months ago have so far yet failed to deliver the goods!  Must admit bit miffed about this especially as they've taken the money already!

Yes, I know about Amazon. They are still saying the book is unavailable even though it came out in May. I contacted Tempus a few weeks ago and they said it had all been sorted out with them, but it is still being shown as unavailable. So, I phoned Amazon myself and they told me that they have ordered the book four times from Tempus and Tempus have sent them ONE copy. I have contacted Tempus again to tell them this but have had no reply. I have now written to the Managing Director.

So, I think it is Tempus's fault, not Amazon's. If I'd known of your difficulties earlier Shazzy I could have sent you one of my copies, but I have just delivered the remainder of the ones I had to the Speedway Museum so I have none left.

Tempus tell me they sent 20 copies of the book to Amazon yesterday, so, hopefully, Shazzy, your copy should be arriving soon!

Not according to this Norby

We are sorry to report that the following items have been delayed:

Norman Jacobs (Author) "Rye House Speedway" [Paperback]

Estimated arrival date: 12/01/08 - 15/01/08

:cry:

I see that the Amazon web site is now showing the book as in stock. Have you received your copy yet, Shazz?

Got mine Norm, brilliant, better than that one that ain't got you know who on the front!!!!!

I think someone’s got it in for you my dear Shazzy! Try to help out your fellow supporters about traffic and your a trouble maker! No doubt you want to read about 'Uncle Ted' in the 'been out, for ages book' about Rye House and no book to even look at let alone read!

Well using my mystic powers I see nothing but good for you once you receive the Rye House book, or is that Norbolds book that is good, no it has to be for you!

Remember if you want a cry I'm sure there will be no end of shoulders to cry on within our wonderful speedway community although perhaps John Cooks of your list?

:lol:

I WILL get my copy of it!!!!! and I WILL read my copy before the VSRA WSRA in March ............. or else Amazon will be getting a bit of what Jon Cook would of done had that nice man Mr Douglas from Arena not contacted me :lol::wink:

Edited by shazzybird