British Speedway Forum
norbold

History Of Rye House Speedway

VOL. 2 IS OUT SOON. HAHAHAH

Edited by KenB1

:lol:

I WILL get my copy of it!!!!! and I WILL read my copy before the VSRA WSRA in March  ............. or else Amazon will be getting a bit of what Jon Cook would of done had that nice man Mr Douglas from Arena not contacted me  :lol:  :wink:

See I knew that would work :approve: Copy arrived this morning halfway through it already, have to be quick reading it now as now promised Uncle Ted he can boorow it after me :wink:

You don't know Uncle Ted very well do you Norbold :approve::lol::wink::P

My copy was delivered on 22nd August (I ordered one for my Dad and he received his on the 17th).

I've really enjoyed reading the book. A few questions though, why no mention of King Cinder, it's not every track that was used for the filming of a (admittedly poor) children's TV series? Also, why does Brian Foote appear to be wearing a skirt on page 57? My favourite part of the book (apart from everything about Kelvin Mullarkey) was the mention about the abandoned away match at Scunthorpe and poor 100 supporters who Colin Pratt felt needed compensating. It wasn't until the second time I read it that I remembered that I was there (aged 9).

Reading about the 70's and early 80's brought it all back to me. Rye House was and still is a very special club. I remember in 1979 when Mildenhall stole the double from us. I can easily believe the 10000 crowd at Mildenhall. What was also remarkable was the crowd at Scunthorpe for Mildenhall's last league meeting of the season. It was made up of about 50% Fen Tigers, 25% Scunthorpe and 25% Rye House supporters.

Thank you for your kind comments, psymon.

Yes, on reflection, maybe I should have mentioned King Cinder but, sadly, there is a limit to what I can put in as I have to stick to a certain number of words maximum. Inevitably things get left out.

You'll have to ask Tony McDonald about the photograph of Brian Foote! Because of the major part he played in the Rockets' early league history I wanted to have a photo of him in the book and that was the only one of suitable quality I could find. It came from Tony.

I havent seen the book yet, but will be buying a copy shortly.

I remember Brian Foote wore a very large pair of ladies bloomers over his leathers for 1 match, so that could be what he is wearing in the photo !!

Got Colin Pratt to sign my copy tonight at Coventry. The look on his face as he looked at the old line up with him in it was priceless. Thought of lending him my copy, but decided he probably had enough money to go out and buy his own. :)