British Speedway Forum
MAUGERACE

70s The Greatest Decade?

Watching the likes of the Boocock's, Reg Wilson,Airey,Ray Wilson,Briggo,Ole,Sjosten,Collins,Mauger,Michanek,Jessup,Ashby et al, this must have been the sumit of Speedway heaven, I just feel privilaged to have watched so many great riders both at Hyde road and at away meetings up and down the country.

Welcome to the forum maugerace-I have to go with the sixties tho-most of the guys you mention were going plus Fundin,Knutsson, Craven and the harum scarum Provincial League..It was great.

Watching the likes of the Boocock's, Reg Wilson,Airey,Ray Wilson,Briggo,Ole,Sjosten,Collins,Mauger,Michanek,Jessup,Ashby et al, this must have been the sumit of Speedway heaven, I just feel privilaged to have watched so many great riders both at Hyde road and at away meetings up and down the country.

The 80's was the last of the good old days... :neutral:

Regards.

30s: Vic Huxley, Tom Farndon, Jack Milne, Jack Parker, Bluey Wilkinson, Lionel Van Praag, Eric Langton, Frank Arthur, Colin Watson, Ginger Lees, Wilbur Lamoreaux, Cordy Milne, Ron Johnson

40s: Vic Duggan, Jack Parker, Tommy Price, Graham Warren, Bill Kitchen, Norman Parker, Aub Lawson, Eric Chitty, Ron Johnson, Alec Statham

50s: Jack Young, Freddie Williams, Aub Lawson, Ronnie Moore, Graham Warren, Barry Briggs, Ove Fundin, Brian Crutcher, Peter Craven, Arthur Forrest, Split Waterman

60s: Ove Fundin, Barry Briggs, Peter Craven, Bjorn Knutson, Ronnie Moore, Ivan Mauger, Gote Nordin, Ken McKinlay, Sverre Harrfeldt, Nigel Boocock, Ron How, Igor Plechanov

and so on throughout the decades...

Maybe every decade had its great riders and those who were privileged enough to watch them will always feel they were the best.

"Nigel Boocock"... unsung hero in my book... He put Cov on the map big time, aswell as the Aus V Eng/World All Stars tests.. ;) I'v seen the Sydney Show Ground and the Ekka close the gates before the first race due to being sold out due to Booey and his teams. It's a testament to the man, that so many riders were happy to follow in his foot steps.... Look at http://www.chrisharris.black-diamonds.net/fanclub.php .. This year after a winter in the SUN. (;0))).. hope he comes back next year. ;) "Little Boy Blue 2"?

Regards.

PS.

Some of Britains/Worlds finest have all been under the wing of the Little Boy Blue. ;)

The 80s were my fav decade, as i first went to Hyde road with the old man in 82. Loads of top stars, Morton, Morans, Gundersen, Nielsen, oh and a guy called Carter. Im oviously biased but i have lots of great memories, my dad always says the 70s PC was just awesome, pitty by 82 he was on the way down really, fantastic at BV though, oh man could we do with Super Mort and PC now!!! :sad:

"Nigel Boocock"... unsung hero in my book... He put Cov on the map big time, aswell as the Aus V Eng/World All Stars tests..  ;)  I'v seen the Sydney Show Ground and the Ekka close the gates before the first race due to being sold out due to Booey and his teams. It's a testament to the man, that so many riders were happy to follow in his foot steps.... Look at  http://www.chrisharris.black-diamonds.net/fanclub.php .. This year after a winter in the SUN. (;0))).. hope he comes back next year.  ;)  "Little Boy Blue 2"?

Regards.

PS.

Some of Britains/Worlds finest have all been under the wing of the Little Boy Blue.  ;)

I remember booey from my childhood days &i agree he was an ab legend i believe he's doing ok 4 himself down under these days.Another 1 is the late great Chris Pusey,i remmember seing him come off at Hyde Road b almost a lap behind& still get up &win the race :lol:

Saw the last post by ColinCooke-has Geoff Pusey passed away then??When did he die??

Saw the last post by ColinCooke-has Geoff Pusey passed away then??When did he die??

I'm sure i remember seeing his obituary in the speedway star a few years ago.Is there anyone out there that can confirm, i'd hate 2 think i've made an error here :o

Chris Pusey.

Speedway: Belle Vue mourns loss of Pusey

BY RICHARD FROST

10/10/2002

CHRIS Pusey, the flamboyant former Belle Vue and England captain, has died at his Liverpool home after illness. He was 55.

Pusey was known throughout the sport as the Polka Dot Kid because of the highly individual helmet and leathers he wore in the late 1960s when riders were still wearing a standard black gear.

He rode for the Aces from 1967 to 1974, a golden age for the club who won a straight hat-trick of British League titles from 1970.

Pusey was brought into speedway from a highly successful career in grass-track racing by their star finder manager Dent Oliver and one of his everlasting contributions to Belle Vue history is that he was largely responsible for legends Peter Collins and Chris Morton joining the club.

RIP Chris.

Chris Pusey.

Speedway: Belle Vue mourns loss of Pusey

BY RICHARD FROST

10/10/2002

CHRIS Pusey, the flamboyant former Belle Vue and England captain, has died at his Liverpool home after illness. He was 55.

Pusey was known throughout the sport as the Polka Dot Kid because of the highly individual helmet and leathers he wore in the late 1960s when riders were still wearing a standard black gear.

He rode for the Aces from 1967 to 1974, a golden age for the club who won a straight hat-trick of British League titles from 1970.

Pusey was brought into speedway from a highly successful career in grass-track racing by their star finder manager Dent Oliver and one of his everlasting contributions to Belle Vue history is that he was largely responsible for legends Peter Collins and Chris Morton joining the club.

RIP Chris.

Cheers Trackman, that's much appreciated

Sorry to hear Chris passed away at such a young age(cancer????/heart attack????-is his brother Geoff still with us?

Didn't know that Chris had died in 2002!

he was a great underated vital cog in the Hyde road outfit, Ivan Mauger was always my personal favorite but Chris,Soren Sjosten ( also no longer with us )Alan Wilkinson and Eric Broadbelt and were never far behind in my top 5 Aces..............Peter Collins and Chris Morton were obvious fan favorites but the 4 previously mentioned were just as important in my book.