British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fatface

Vojens track

I've seen a few disparaging remarks about the track for Saturday's Final on the forum. I have to say, from a spectators point of view, it delivered good racing and I liked it. There were different lines allowing riders to overtake inside or outside - that's what you want for good racing surely.

Some riders might say otherwise. But, it seems to me, riders sometimes want a billiard table to race on, which allows little opportunity for overtaking. Cardiff seemed to get more praise from the riders than ever this year, and yet the racing was the worst its ever been.

Sorry Falcace but I disagree.

I felt the Vojens track was a disgrace. If they want world class events then let's have a track prepared properly and not the rutted field that the final took place on.

The ruts caused riders to lift and veer of their line alarmingly and that's when most of the overtakes happened. That is not good racing imo.

:? What's gone on here. ML's post has changed and a few have gone missing :? :?:

Vojens most definitely was a DISGRACE track wise. Ruts all over the place. It was such a shame because like the one-off GP tracks the riders could not take the lines they really wanted.

It would be interesting to hear from someone in the know just why the most important track of the series broke up like it did, obviously the track curators made mistakes .................. I'll just blame Ole!

I'm always surprised at supporters who don't like a track that delivers plenty of overtaking. Yes, there were a few ruts, but this is off-road motorsport, not road racing. Easy tracks make for poor racing.

Stick someone in front of the TV who has never watched speedway before, ask them which they found more entertaining, follow-the-leader from Cardiff or the chopping and changing at Vojens.

It was also a track that sorted out men from the boys. Take Crumpy's burst from the back for example - he couldn't have done that on a billiard table track.

Easy tracks make for poor racing.

You could be right there Falcace.

Brilliant track last night for the Bees match against Poole and the record went in the first race, but the racing....mostly processional.

The Kings Lynn track was the same when we went there in May and I remember Star Lady commenting it was "too fast and smooth" or words to that effect. Result - worse match I've seen for years, with Edinburgh taking a real beating because they weren't getting out of the gate all night.

Easy tracks make for poor racing.

You could be right there Falcace.

Brilliant track last night for the Bees match against Poole and the record went in the first race, but the racing....mostly processional.

The Kings Lynn track was the same when we went there in May and I remember Star Lady commenting it was "too fast and smooth" or words to that effect. Result - worse match I've seen for years, with Edinburgh taking a real beating because they weren't getting out of the gate all night.

which is why i have always said that Exeter is a brilliant racetrack although most people on here disagree

Good to get the endorsement of a rider - thanks Steve.

Also, Gem your post sort of confirms what I suspect. Brandon seems like a great track to ride, but not a great track for racing.

The damned track was dangerous imo, look at it from a rider's point of view .................

Is that speaking from seeing the track closely :P (sorry m8, you left yourself asking for that one ;) ) flipant I apologise for that one :!: xx :)

Is that speaking from seeing the track closely :P (sorry m8, you left yourself asking for that one ;) ) flipant I apologise for that one :!: xx :)

yes i saw the track closely on occasions....

but it was a track i hated being on gates 1,2 or 3 as i loved the banking at Exeter.

The track could be rough but made for good racing as you could miss the gate completely and still have a chance to pass. Dear old Ted Lethbridge (RIP mate) actually did a good job on the track.

Now you Exeter supporters, be honest... how many sunny bank holiday meetings have you seen at the County Ground that have been a bit of a bore because the track didn't cut up enough? Yes, even Exeter can be like a billiard table and it does not make for good racing.

Well something isn't right somewhere :?

Both Edinburgh and Glasgow have fairly smooth tracks but they still produce good racing.

I hate seeing riders almost lose control or lose control and crash because they have hit a rut (and I am not talking inexperienced riders here). That's surely not what the game is all about.