British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

John Debbage

Anyone in forumland recall John-not a superstar but I think was an NL rider with Norwich who when the PL started went to CH.Where is John now??(am relying on starghost here) Also while I am at it -anyone recall Alan Totney-second string with CH -these guys weren't superstars but nevertheless 100% triers who contributed to our enjoyment of speedway. Hope they are still fine and enjoying life.

Anyone  in forumland recall John-not a superstar but I think was an NL rider with Norwich who when the PL started went to  CH.Where is John now??(am relying on starghost here) Also while I am at it -anyone recall Alan Totney-second string with CH -these guys weren't superstars but nevertheless 100% triers who contributed to our enjoyment of speedway. Hope they are still fine and enjoying life.

I do remember John and as you say not one to set the world alight but a very steady rider for Norwich.

A name that completely slipped the mind when thinking about Norwich.

Regards

I do remember John and as you say not one to set the world alight but a very steady rider for Norwich.

A name that completely slipped the mind when thinking about Norwich.

Regards

I remember John Debbage as a reasonably sound second-string rider at Norwich in the mid to late 1950s. Possibly, not checked this, but he may also have been with Yarmouth and Ipswich at some time.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Edited by speedyguy

I remember John Debbage as a reasonably sound second-string rider at Norwich in the mid to late 1950s. Possibly, not checked this, but he may also have been with Yarmouth and Ipswich at some time.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

And Swindon

John had a "falling out" towards the end of the 1964 season at the Firs and was allowed to move to Swindon. His time there was short and he joined Cradley Heath when the 1965 British League was started. He had, like most of the lesser lights at the Firs ridden for the Bloaters in his time. Despite showing much promise he just didn't make the next level as we had all hoped.

John met an untimely death in a road accident on the Norwich to Ipswich road when travelling to a Car Auctions site. From memory he was the unfortunate one in the vehicle accident who lost his life

Whilst with the Stars he was renowned for his antics with his pal Derek Strutt, they were known as the "Goons" after the famous Sellars, Milligan & Secombe Radio programme from our glorious past.

Thanx everyone and starghost sorry to hear it-wouldn't know what happened to derek Strutt by any chance would you?

John met an untimely death in a road accident on the Norwich to Ipswich road when travelling to a Car Auctions site. From memory he was the unfortunate one in the vehicle accident who lost his life

As soon as I saw the name on the thread title it rang a bell. John was a keen clay pigeon shooter also, and it was through that sport my Dad came to know him well. I can remember him telling me he used to ride speedway for Norwich and I can also remember the tragic accident that sadly took John's life.

Thanx everyone and starghost sorry to hear it-wouldn't know what happened to derek Strutt by any chance would you?

Derek Strutt is also sadly no longer with us, though I don't know what happened. I'm sure star ghost will know.

I like to start these threads with riders from the early to mid sixties-I think its important not to forget them-and its great to see a number of people in forumland do remember-now anybody know what happened to Alan Totney of CH!!!

DEBBAGE, John

1958 2 8 4.00 Norwich Reserves

1959 1 0 0.00 Div 1, Norwich

1959 5 11 2.20 Norwich Reserves

1959 7 28 4.00 Yarmouth, Southern Area League

1960 1 4 4.00 Div 1, Norwich

1960 12 38 3.16 Div 2, Yarmouth

1961 15 29 1.93 Div 1, Norwich

1962 21 79 3.76 Div 1, Norwich

1963 23 49 2.13 Div 1, Norwich

1964 3 1 0.33 Div 1, Norwich

1964 9 17 1.88 Div 1, Swindon

Upto 1964 only

A protégé of Derek Strutt, Debbage first rode speedway in the January of 1958 at the age of 21, showing impressive form despite his limited experience. He had his first team place on a regular basis when Norwich loaned him to Yarmouth.

Edited by moxey63

I know Derek has passed on a few years ago but have not got any details on this

John rode for Cradley in 1965

meetings 10

rides 31

points 18

bonus 7

average 3.23

can't remember him that much

Wolverhampton had used the 17 year old Terry Betts towards the end of the 1961 Provincial League season and hoped that Norwich would let him stay for the following year. Despite Bill Bridgett's pleading Norwich decided that Terry should step up and ride for them in the National League.

As a part compromise Derek Strutt was loaned to Wolves. I remember his first meeting for Wolves, at home to Neath, and Derek had a blinder including the beating of Trevor Redmond, who was no easy opponent in those days, in one of his races. The riders used to park their vans in the car park adjacent to the old stand at that time and I recall that Derek was absolutely mobbed by autograph hunters as he tried to put his bike away.

Sadly that first meeting promise evaporated and Derek was subsequently transferred to a struggling Leicester. He rode for Rayleigh in 1963.

Incidentally looking at the present Monmore Green on Sky what a difference from the old stadium which had stands, with catering and bars, down the back straight and on the 3rd/4th turn. It now looks very odd with just the one side open and the crowd all squeezed in under the glass fronted stand. The rest of the stadium, where thousands of fans used to be is now like a barren wilderness. Why can't the back straight be re-opened?

Thanx Mike jb and Parkstone Pirate- I thought I recalled John riding for CH in the inaugural BL season- some of us PL fans had never seen NL riders till then and we had heard they were all unbeatable but John was basically like our second strings-great trier tho.