British Speedway Forum
MarcinRygielski

Ron Preston

seeking the information Ron Preston - birthplace - date of birth as well as the information about the career of the American.

My recollection is that Ron Preston's very promising UK career was ended by a knee-injury in the mid 1980s.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/oldtimespeedway

Might be an idea to go to www.poolespeedway.net and ask on the forum there as I know he rode for Poole during the 70's. Don't know if that's any help :)

Sue xx

NEWPORT BEACH USA 15.07.1958

Poole(79,80),Eastbourne(82)

World U21 Champion 1979 (when it was called the European Junior Championship, but it's the same thing!)

NEWPORT BEACH USA 15.07.1958

Poole(79,80),Eastbourne(82)

World U21 Champion 1979  (when it was called the European Junior Championship, but it's the same thing!)

Very much is thanking for help!

Greeting from Toruń

Very much is thanking for help!

Greeting from Toruń

No problem Marcin

Did he not become a Born Again Christain, I think I read somewhere he tried to convert Kelly Moran, that is what you call a challenge.

Did he not become a Born Again Christain, I think I read somewhere he tried to convert Kelly Moran, that is what you call a challenge.

Thats right he did become a born again Christian and did try to show Kelly the error of his ways! . . for a short while.

Rapid Ron rode in the US speedway league in 1976 for the San Bernardino Sizzlers and was a works rider for Ken Maely till about 78.Came over in 1979 to Poole and showed considerable promise before a knee injury effectively ruined his career. Went to Eastbourne in 1982 but only showed flashes of his old self. Won the European junior championship in 79 and a regular in the USA v england test matches. He promoted his own track at El Centro in California for a short while staging the Denny Pyeatt Memorial Trophy. There was an interview with him a while back in Backtrack Magazine for anyone that wants to know more about this underrated American rider.

Thats right he did become a born again Christian and did try to show Kelly the error of his ways! . . for a short while.

Rapid Ron rode in the US speedway league in 1976 for the San Bernardino Sizzlers and was a works rider for Ken Maely till about 78.Came over in 1979 to Poole and showed considerable promise before a knee injury effectively ruined his career. Went to Eastbourne in 1982 but only showed flashes of his old self. Won the European junior championship in 79 and a regular in the USA v england test matches. He promoted his own track at El Centro in California for a short while staging the Denny Pyeatt Memorial Trophy. There was an interview with him a while back in Backtrack Magazine for anyone that wants to know more about this underrated American rider.

had his best season average wise at eastbourne 9.18

I think that average was for all official Eastbourne meetings that season. A class rider who started slowly for Eastbourne after his lay off scoring 3.1.1.0. (from memory) on his debut, I think his average for the Eagles in league meetings only, ended up as 9.98.

OK, had to look it up,

British league and KOC meetings

Mtchs/rds/pts/bp/tot/ave

38-162-354-18-372-9.18

last i heard Ron is the driving force behind a huge multi million dollar racing complex in calif. that will encompass a nascar oval, road course, moto cross track, sprint car 1/2 mile oval, and... a speedway track. ! Throw in an rv park and home sites and ya get the picture. me, im still collectin and sellin aluminium cans for the good of the planet.. B)