British Speedway Forum

So why did Jarek Hampel qualify last year?  :blink:

Because he finished 8th as Hans wild card results did not count in the standings.

edit > Interestingly, this rule seems to have been removed this year. So Jarek would NOT have qualified, Hans would have done, meaning PK would have been in the GP's.

Edited by SCB

using the past precedents, IF Adams retired, Lubos gets his place as Lubos is now 1st reserve.  Coming 9th in the GP series gives you no such status.  Basically, Lubos replaces ANY rider who does not ride in a GP for what ever reason.  One of the advantages of doing the qualifiers.

And an advantage they deserve

Now whether the GP series is right for Lubos at this time of his career is for debate but he done the qualifiers and many riders didn't expecting to yet again be given a free pass. Maybe free passes should be earned rather than being expected

Lubos finished 1 place outside the qualification place in the qualifier. Whoever finishes 9th in the GP series has done the same. It's not like Lubos has more right to it because they acheived the same  :rolleyes:

You sure about that? :P

using the past precedents, IF Adams retired, Lubos gets his place as Lubos is now 1st reserve.  Coming 9th in the GP series gives you no such status.  Basically, Lubos replaces ANY rider who does not ride in a GP for what ever reason.  One of the advantages of doing the qualifiers.

Cheers Shawn! :D

so in other words,this is not a WORLD championship,merely a world select competition.

if the worlds top ten were all british,would you be happy for 8 of them to be overlooked,on the grounds of 'quotas' needing to be fulfilled for other nations?

in 2003 britain had 5 riders at cardiff,this year only 3,were the crowds significantly different?

Can I just make it clear that I was stating facts as I know them, not expressing an opinion.

There are plenty of riders competing in various FIM World Championship competitions that are there not on merit, but because they have the sponsorship that buys their place in their particular Championship. We might be outraged that such practice could compromise our World Championship, but it's a hard, commercial fact of life, and we might as well get used to it.

TBF i'd like to see the world under 21 champion be giving one of the WC's,along with the national champ of GB,Sweden and Poland,and if the champ is already in go to 2nd or 3rd etc.

SHOULD (?) any of the top 8 this year decide to pull out of next years competition, that place will be decided by a nomination, ity will not go to Lubos Tomicek who will be first reserve next year.

Should any rider withdraw through injury after the 15 riders have been declared, then and only then will Tomicek be included but will still wear the #19 race jacket.

SWEDEN; Andreas Jonsson and Fredrik Lindgren

ENGLAND; Chris Harris and Scott Nicholls

Regardless of positions this year, these will be in the 2008 line up. ;)

Matej Zagar, Antonio Lindback and Wielsaw Jagus to drop out.

And if Jagus makes the top eight?

And why doesn't Zagar get a second chance? The former British champion has had chance after chance after chance and he's still no further forwards. In fact, all this charity isn't helping him one little bit. The whole speedway world will ridicule ANOTHER nomination for this serial failure if he fails again.

SHOULD (?) any of the top 8 this year decide to pull out of next years competition, that place will be decided by a nomination, ity will not go to Lubos Tomicek who will be first reserve next year.

Should any rider withdraw through injury after the 15 riders have been declared, then and only then will Tomicek be included but will still wear the #19 race jacket.

"The top 8 riders of the Final Overall Grand Prix Classification of that year shall

be directly qualified for the following year’s Grand Prix Series.

The top 3 riders from the FIM Speedway Grand Prix qualification system shall be

directly qualified for the following year’s Grand Prix Series.

To make up the 16 riders for the following year's Speedway Grand Prix

Championship, the remaining 4 riders, plus 1 Wild Card rider, will be decided by

the Speedway Grand Prix Promoter and the SGP Commission."

What if someone decides to retire in January? I thought this would be clearer...

I believe PUK will perform better in the GP nest season than his last apperance. He is more matured and now he knows what it takes to be a GP-rider. One good thing with PUK is that he differ from the rest of danes concering the safety of the opponents on the track. PUK is very rarely involved in any crashes and as long as I know his reputation is far much better than the rest of the danes. I believe he will be able to be among the top-ten.

Its great to see Lukasz back in the GP, since the horrible crash 2004, he hasnt been the same but I think he is recovering a lot as a rider and I strongly believe he still is a rider who might be even better in a couple of years. He might as well be top-ten. Comparing to PUK I believe Lukasz is much more of a "winner" than PUK.

Bjarne... He hasnt done anything this year to make me happy (I would have preferred to se KB instead), but Bjarne is the one who made it. I cant see anything that will change his performance next year comparing to this year. Bjarne has been a great rider in England, he has performed well in Sweden but he´s like Holta, he isnt the man for the individual races, he might just be a great "teamracer"

Lindgren will be a GP-rider nest year, not only for his performance in the swedish and scandinavian GP but for the simple fact that BSI realise there need to be two swedes in the GP. If Anton had performed better he would have been the other swede, but Lindgren is today the better of these two.

I personally would like to see the last 4 places decided by a GP challenge type meeting, like what they used to have a few years ago.. The bottom 7 from this years GP plus the 4th to 12th place finishers (think Ive done the Math right there!) from the weekend qualifier in a last chance saloon race off.. They could get sky to cover it, it would be one hell of a meeting and I believe a lot fairer way to decide the line up for the following years GP series.. But I guess they need certain countries represented, therfore it wont happen.

I believe PUK will perform better in the GP nest season than his last apperance. He is more matured and now he knows what it takes to be a GP-rider. One good thing with PUK is that he differ from the rest of danes concering the safety of the opponents on the track. PUK is very rarely involved in any crashes and as long as I know his reputation is far much better than the rest of the danes. I believe he will be able to be among the top-ten.

Bjarne... He hasnt done anything this year to make me happy (I would have preferred to se KB instead), but Bjarne is the one who made it. I cant see anything that will change his performance next year comparing to this year. Bjarne has been a great rider in England, he has performed well in Sweden but he´s like Holta, he isnt the man for the individual races, he might just be a great "teamracer"

Lindgren will be a GP-rider nest year, not only for his performance in the swedish and scandinavian GP but for the simple fact that BSI realise there need to be two swedes in the GP. If Anton had performed better he would have been the other swede, but Lindgren is today the better of these two.

I agree with your assement of Niels.He has impressed me a lot this season.I think he will be better prepared for the GPs next year.Whether he will do enough,i am not sure.

Also agree.I would rather have seen Kenneth(and it should have been his day)than Bjarne.And i guess your right about Freddie,but i think he will be another that struggles.So far he hasn't impressed me at all.And i said beforehand that i couldn't see him qualifying from Vojens.And i still haven't seen anything to convince me he will do well

And why doesn't Zagar get a second chance? The former British champion has had chance after chance after chance and he's still no further forwards.

I actually agree with most of this bit I've quoted.

Plus with more Slovenian interest now and a GP being held there regularly Zagar will add interest for the locals so no doubt he'll get a nomination again.

As this thread is supposed to be about Saturday's qualifiers & not all the other junk i've veiwed i'll give an opinion on that.

After seeing PUK & Dryml last night it's certain that their GP credentials must be in question.OK so Swindon maybe isn't their happiest hunting ground but a rider in the world's top15 should be able to cope with whatever's thrown at him on track.

Bjarne however showed what a class act he is even if his team riding abilities we're at 0 last night.

I agree with your assement of Niels.He has impressed me a lot this season.I think he will be better prepared for the GPs next year.Whether he will do enough,i am not sure.

Also agree.I would rather have seen Kenneth(and it should have been his day)than Bjarne.And i guess your right about Freddie,but i think he will be another that struggles.So far he hasn't impressed me at all.And i said beforehand that i couldn't see him qualifying from Vojens.And i still haven't seen anything to convince me he will do well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOTw6-LHh-A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z19K5yUqFQ

Freddie is a very talented rider but another year out of the SGP seris wont harm him, but say hes not done anything to convince you is hard to believe.