British Speedway Forum

There is a total lack of USA riders, other than Chris Kerr, I don't see any of the young Americans coming through.

Maybe the Yanks can adopt Tai, just like you Brits have :P

Only thing holding the sport back is the parochial attitude of some folks who think their club is the be-all and end-all. The sooner Pommyland wakes up to the 21st century the better, Elite League on one or two nights a week only
So BFD you think the young aussies could go straight into the bloody GPs without any league experience? The leagues ARE and be all and end all, no leagues, no GP!

Wasn't quite referring to the two Brits (that are desperately trying to hang on to 7th & 8th place). Simply where are the one's to take their place?

I think our Canadian may make it to the GP series in 2009....before another American comes along.

The irony. Ask what Brits will take over Nicholls and Harris (Harris potentially having another 10 years at GP level so his replacement may have not even sat on a bike yet!!) and then claim PL 8 pointer Legault will be in the GP in 2 years time. Using Legault as a benchmark can I suggest that the following will be in the GP's in the next 10 years at some stage....

Stead,

Howe,

Kennett,

Hall,

Complin,

Ashworth,

Allen,

Wright,

Boxall,

Woffinden,

Auty,

Mills.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if 3 of them made it full time into the GP's but I'd also be amazed if Legault ever makes it to the GP's and if Chris Kerr ever achieved an EL average as high as James Wrights current average (5.5ish)

The irony.  Ask what Brits will take over Nicholls and Harris (Harris potentially having another 10 years at GP level so his replacement may have not even sat on a bike yet!!) and then claim PL 8 pointer Legault will be in the GP in 2 years time.  Using Legault as a benchmark can I suggest that the following will be in the GP's in the next 10 years at some stage....

Stead,

Howe,

Kennett,

Hall,

Complin,

Ashworth,

Allen,

Wright,

Boxall,

Woffinden,

Auty,

Mills.

Honestly, I'd be surprised if 3 of them made it full time into the GP's but I'd also be amazed if Legault ever makes it to the GP's and if Chris Kerr ever achieved an EL average as high as James Wrights current average (5.5ish)

Harsh words SCB but there is an element of truth in what you are saying, but lets be fair you never quite sure how a rider is going to develop. Who would have guessed that Chris Harris would win a Grand Prix, reach a final, and still be in the top eight with one round to go.

I do take your point though, I think that sometimes people do say a rider will be a Grand Prix one day too easily.

The irony.  Ask what Brits will take over Nicholls and Harris (Harris potentially having another 10 years at GP level so his replacement may have not even sat on a bike yet!!) and then claim PL 8 pointer Legault will be in the GP in 2 years time.  Using Legault as a benchmark can I suggest that the following will be in the GP's in the next 10 years at some stage....

Stead,

Howe,

Kennett,

Hall,

Complin,

Ashworth,

Allen,

Wright,

Boxall,

Woffinden,

Auty,

Mills.

Don't think I quite claimed that Legault would make the GP did I? I did say may make it BEFORE the next AMERICAN would.

BUT having said that he did accomplish more than any other Brit by at least getting to the last qualifying stage. You and I both know that we don't have a clue as to how any rider will progress over the next two years and that includes your list and Legault.

Edited by andout

Well i am not against a GP in the States.Only yesterday seeing what appears to me to be the decline of Hancock i was saying it is sad to see no new Americans on the horizon that will be competing at the top.It looks like a 30+ year era of American riders bringing something special to the the speedway world is ending.It is a pity,but the world moves on and if there isn't enough interest after all these years of having top riders ,i can't see why there will be much interest in the future without a top local rider.

unfortunately, you are absolutely correct.. :neutral: (edited with respect to Greg, fantastic racer and still competitive after many years, with possibly a few more to come. but.. who is next?)

Edited by sandman

Why don't we have a GP every week? :P

There are too many of the bl**dy things already. We need less not more.